Microsoft confirms small delay for next WP7 update

Jos

Staff

Following reports that Microsoft would push back the first major Windows Phone 7 update to make sure it gets it right this time, the company has come forward with an official update on the current state of affairs. Writing on the Windows Phone Blog, Eric Hautala explains the complex process of getting updates from Redmond computers to 9 handsets on 60 mobile operators in 30 countries around the world. He also mentions that the "overwhelming majority" was able to install the February update and confirms that the so-called NoDo update has indeed been delayed.

"We have the next update waiting in the wings. It delivers copy and paste, better Marketplace search, and other key improvements," said Hautala. "But I believe it’s important that we learn all we can from the February update. So I’ve decided to take some extra time to ensure the update process meets our standards, your standards, and the standards of our partners. As a result, our plan is to start delivering the copy-and-paste update in the latter half of March."

Hautala also emphasized that the NoDo push-back should in no way impact the timing of future updates, including the "Mango" update announced recently at Mobile World Congress featuring multitasking support for third-party applications, a Twitter feature, and a new HTML 5-friendly version of IE Mobile. Microsoft hasn't shared an official release date for Mango, but rumors suggest it will come preloaded on new WP7 devices by holiday 2011.

Permalink to story.

Man, I just want this update to be out already! They've got me hanging on edge for the last couple of weeks.

wagan8r said:
Man, I just want this update to be out already! They've got me hanging on edge for the last couple of weeks.

I'd like to them to release a CDMA phone already. At least you get to have a phone.

Nima304 said:
This is pathetic.

Well since WP7 is usless i guess the natural update and upgrade would be pathetic :)

i belive the update after this will be Pointless , code name Mango.

To play devils advocate. i would rather they get the FIRST update right, after all it is the first one, really dont want to screw it up. The next update should be quicker because of it.

I do have one question, when Android made the 2.2 update, we had to wait for Google to release it, then Samasung to make its mods, then i had to wait for my mobile service provider (Optus) to test it was well, then i had to wait til they put it on Kies, will win7 Samsung phones have to go though the same process or do these updates bypass the manufacturer and the service provider?

aj_the_kidd said:
To play devils advocate. i would rather they get the FIRST update right, after all it is the first one, really dont want to screw it up. The next update should be quicker because of it.

I do have one question, when Android made the 2.2 update, we had to wait for Google to release it, then Samasung to make its mods, then i had to wait for my mobile service provider (Optus) to test it was well, then i had to wait til they put it on Kies, will win7 Samsung phones have to go though the same process or do these updates bypass the manufacturer and the service provider?

never had this issue with Symbian .. sure an update was not released for all regions at once, but thay came when planned. Only delay was on those special modded operator locked modells...but who wants that. :)

Back