Microsoft confirms Surface Duo will arrive on September 10, cost $1,399

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Recent rumors claiming that Microsoft’s Surface Duo dual-screen Android device would be launching soon have proved accurate: the phone arrives on September 10 and is priced at $1,399. Pre-orders are available today at AT&T, while unlocked models, which support Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, are available at Microsoft’s online store and Best Buy.

It was a couple of weeks ago when we heard that the Surface Duo would arrive at the end of this month. The rumored date wasn’t too far off.

The Duo consists of two separate 5.6-inch OLED displays (1,800 x 1,350) with a 4:3 aspect ratio that connect together using a “revolutionary 360-degree hinge” to form an 8.1-inch overall workspace (2,700 x 1,800) with a 3:2 aspect ratio.

It also includes an 11-megapixel f/2.0 camera, which will include auto modes for low light, HDR multi-frame captures, and a “super zoom” up to 7x. Both 4K and 1080p video recording will be supported at 30fps and 60fps. Microsoft claims the Duo’s 4.8mm unfolded thickness makes it “the thinnest mobile device on the market.”

The Duo features two batteries, one beneath each display, offering a total of 3,577mAh of capacity. That’s less than some devices, though Microsoft promises “all-day battery life.” No support for wireless charging, 5G, or NFC, sadly. It also uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 from last year, rather than the newer Snapdragon 865/865+, and has 6GB of RAM.

That $1,399 price makes it $100 more expensive than the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, and slightly pricier than the Galaxy Z Flip, but it’s a lot cheaper than the original $2,000 Galaxy Fold and $100 less than the Motorola Razr’s starting price. Samsung hasn’t revealed the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 rival, though it’s thought to cost around $1,980.

Using two apps simultaneously on separate screens does look interesting, and developers have the option of optimizing their apps to span both displays. Whether that’s enough to get past the high price and some of its shortcomings remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

It's going to be rubbish, the battery is way too small, devices with a single 5.5 inch display and a 4000+mAh battery struggle to stay on a full day.

This has 3500mAh for two displays?!

The Spec doesn't follow the marketing, it's showing in the video you can use it for work and you can multi-task but they then give it a tiny battery and for the price, quite a small amount of RAM.

Not practical to hold the device with one hand when using and looking at both screens.....The lady in the photo almost dropping the device...!

Very cool idea, very interested to see future iterations and I hope they used those massive bezels for top notch front camera quality because the bezels are huge, like iPhone 3GS huge. But it's on my watch list, if it can be refined I'd buy one.

Has nobody seen the LG dual screens that have been out for quite some time? Been there, done that. In fact, you can get the latest one, the V60 for $950 with and 865, 5g, NFC, etc. now.

I don't see the point in using a dual screen phone and multitasking is easy with a phone with one screen sooooo

It's going to be rubbish, the battery is way too small, devices with a single 5.5 inch display and a 4000+mAh battery struggle to stay on a full day.

This has 3500mAh for two displays?!

The Spec doesn't follow the marketing, it's showing in the video you can use it for work and you can multi-task but they then give it a tiny battery and for the price, quite a small amount of RAM.
you think 6 GB of ram to multitask two apps at the same time is too little? Yikes.. man just Yikes

When they make a windows 10X phone I will be all over that. I can't wait to stop using Android.

Back