Microsoft expected to unveil Windows 9 "Threshold" on September 30

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows windows phone windows rt preview build windows 9 cortana

Windows 9 may arrive sooner than most think. According to a new report from The Verge, the successor to Windows 8 is slated to debut at a special media event on September 30 - a date that lines up nicely with previous reports of a late September, early October unveiling.

Microsoft's next major OS release, codenamed Threshold, will likely be released to developers and enthusiasts on that date as a preview version.

The long-awaited return of the Start Menu is just one of the many features expected in Windows 9. Microsoft is also planning to remove the Charms bar and make several UI changes - essentially dialing back the radical redesign that was Windows 8.

Microsoft is reportedly working on builds of Threshold that include Cortana, Microsoft's personal virtual assistant. It's unclear, however, whether or not it will make the initial tech preview build.

Aside from these features, it's anyone's guess as to what else Threshold will deliver. Another unknown is whether the preview will be available to everyone or if Microsoft is only planning to release it via TechNet and MSDN.

In related news, Microsoft may also fill us in as to the fate of Windows RT which is being integrated into Windows Phone as part of the company's unified Windows vision. No word yet on how far along Microsoft is into this project but we'll likely find out next month.

Permalink to story.

They're going to screw this up, you can almost count on it. MS really seems to have lost touch with its customer base in so many different areas and products.

The title should refer to Windows 9 Preview, not Windows 9. But it got my attention anyway. Maybe U can sign up for the Preview now, just check the Microsoft website. Hopefully it's public, not just for Technet subscribers or MSDN. Also hopefully it'll install on a blank drive ------ I'd never upgrade a Win 8.1 "production" system.......well, maybe I would since I think I know what I'm doing.

MCSE Win2012 Server.

I would have been okay with 8 if they had just given the ability to uninstall the Metro and apps portions. I'm the admin for a business and support about 150 users. Some can barely use their computers with 7, there was no way I was upgrading us to 8. I made the mistake and installed Office 2013 on some computers and those users hated it. Not to mention that it wants to upload everything you do which isn't cool for us since we have HIPAA rules. There isn't a way to turn off the upload portion so I had to edit the registry. So yes, I would have to agree Microsoft has lost touch, especially with their business customers.

I thinks it's gonna be fine and if it is we're gonna be hearing remarks like "this is the OS that Win 8 shoulda been" until it comes out of our ears.

They're going to screw this up, you can almost count on it. MS really seems to have lost touch with its customer base in so many different areas and products.

I'd like to thin

I'd really like to think you're wrong. I'd *like* to, but I can't because you're probably 100% correct. Microsoft has become a raging maelstrom of confusion where far-left social ideals collide with ruthless capitalism. The result is about what you'd expect - products that demand not only money but also your privacy and control of your computer while giving you less than you received in the past. Microsoft is begging to get blindsided by the Googlenaut, which probably has a desktop-friendly version of Chromedroid ready to deploy about five minutes after that Sept. presentation kills any hope we had left.

This guy says it well.

I don't want "apps" on my computer. I don't need simple streamlined programs to do my work, it's a PC! Why the hell does the calculator take up the entire screen? Are you kidding me?

Sadly windows 9 doesn't look much different. They are trying to appeal to the Apple crowd, but they won't beat apple at their own game. Windows users don't buy windows because it's simple, they buy it because it's compatible and has levels more of customization. Most computer users like the easy route that apple gives them, and Microsoft is going to lose money, but they should stick to their guns if they are going to continue to be relevant in the future.

Give us the option to use our computers in a pre-Windows 8 fashion. I don't want to exercise my arms and smudge up my screen while using my desktop.

Give us the option to use our computers in a pre-Windows 8 fashion. I don't want to exercise my arms and smudge up my screen while using my desktop.

Why would you exercise your arms and smudge up your screen while in desktop mode with W8? Don't you know how to use a keyboard and mouse? Or are you one of "those" who like to complain but never really tried/used W8?

This guy says it well.

I don't want "apps" on my computer. I don't need simple streamlined programs to do my work, it's a PC! Why the hell does the calculator take up the entire screen? Are you kidding me?

Sadly windows 9 doesn't look much different. They are trying to appeal to the Apple crowd, but they won't beat apple at their own game. Windows users don't buy windows because it's simple, they buy it because it's compatible and has levels more of customization. Most computer users like the easy route that apple gives them, and Microsoft is going to lose money, but they should stick to their guns if they are going to continue to be relevant in the future.

Full screen calculator? Why not use the desktop calculator which is the same exact one in W7. Oh wait, you have to know what you're doing - sorry my bad...

All you whiners and complainers.. You sound like the fools who whined about the new Start menu in Windows 95.. "Where's my Program manager?" ... "I hate this start button crap".. "I'm gonna switch to OS/2".. etc..

Get over it.. Things change. Embrace change or get left behind.

Windows 8 is fantastic. It definitely is a learning curve but once you get the feel for it and learn how to get around, it works beautifully.. It's significantly faster than any prior version of Windows even on lesser hardware. If you sign in with a Microsoft account and sync your settings you never have to worry about those settings again.. Get a new PC and sign in,..watch your start screen rebuild itself, your favorites get reinstated, your email configuration setup automatically, messages, contacts, and calendar appts.. If you use OneDrive all your files will be there ready to access. No more backups to restore..

Just exactly how hard is it to click Start and a tile on the start screen vs. Start and a menu item? huh? 2 clicks. Just what is so difficult about Windows 8?

B

I would have been okay with 8 if they had just given the ability to uninstall the Metro and apps portions. I'm the admin for a business and support about 150 users. Some can barely use their computers with 7, there was no way I was upgrading us to 8. I made the mistake and installed Office 2013 on some computers and those users hated it. Not to mention that it wants to upload everything you do which isn't cool for us since we have HIPAA rules. There isn't a way to turn off the upload portion so I had to edit the registry. So yes, I would have to agree Microsoft has lost touch, especially with their business customers.

Not trying to be a A$$ here but why are business customers using win8 anyways? If you buy cheap crap off the shelf then you are going to take 8. I sell my business customers business grade hardware and you can still buy it with 7. I have one customer that wanted 8 .

All you whiners and complainers.. You sound like the fools who whined about the new Start menu in Windows 95.. "Where's my Program manager?" ... "I hate this start button crap".. "I'm gonna switch to OS/2".. etc..

Windows 8 is fantastic. It definitely is a learning curve but once you get the feel for it and learn how to get around, it works beautifully.. It's significantly faster than any prior version of Windows even on lesser hardware. If you sign in with a Microsoft account and sync your settings you never have to worry about those settings again.. Get a new PC and sign in,..watch your start screen rebuild itself, your favorites get reinstated, your email configuration setup automatically, messages, contacts, and calendar appts.. If you use OneDrive all your files will be there ready to access. No more backups to restore..

Just exactly how hard is it to click Start and a tile on the start screen vs. Start and a menu item? huh? 2 clicks. Just what is so difficult about Windows 8?

B

I couldn't have said it any better - thank you...

You can learn & adjust to driving a brokeb down car, but that doesn't make it great or the best because it's able to work after you "figure it out". Windows 8.x is fast and runs well, but provides an extremelely poor user experience for mouse + keyboard users. I'm a HUGE Microsoft supporter and continue to purchase and defend their products. I even bought Windows 8 for my non-touch laptop, I love it on my Surface RT but I refuse to install it on my productvity desktop. Windows 8 is ONE of just 2 reason's I decided not to upgrade to the Surface Pro 3 as I also need to when used as a productivty machine. I'm excited to preview Windows Threshold.

You can learn & adjust to driving a brokeb down car, but that doesn't make it great or the best because it's able to work after you "figure it out". Windows 8.x is fast and runs well, but provides an extremelely poor user experience for mouse + keyboard users. I'm a HUGE Microsoft supporter and continue to purchase and defend their products. I even bought Windows 8 for my non-touch laptop, I love it on my Surface RT but I refuse to install it on my productvity desktop. Windows 8 is ONE of just 2 reason's I decided not to upgrade to the Surface Pro 3 as I also need to when used as a productivty machine. I'm excited to preview Windows Threshold.

It works fine for mouse and keyboard users. There is no difference in the desktop mode for mouse and keyboard users. It works just like prior versions of Windows with the exception of the start screen.. Which I again ask just how hard is it to click the start button and click a tile? You can still store shortcuts on the desktop and task bar if desired.

I use 8.1 on 2 PC's and a Surface 2 RT. I had one of the PC's die with a failed SSD. I bought another PC and signed in.. To my surprise (and I was surprised it worked) all my start screen settings were rebuilt, my email setup, files, etc were available. Simply by signing in. Give it another chance, be patient, and open-minded..

I can not argue that the switch to the start screen exclusively was too much too soon for existing users.. I hated it at first too.. What I've seen about W9 is what should have come out for W8 as it mimics the behavior of W7 but with tiles.. From there they could have moved exclusively to the start screen.. However it's still not a huge burden to overcome..

I have four customers using 8.1 and no one has complained about it and I've asked them many times how they like it.. If my customers (as set in their ways as they are) can use it without complaining then anyone can.

B

I usually do not berate anyone's opinion, but you have managed to seriously pi*** me off.
The fact that you remember the program manager and OS2 means you are old school.
But what you typed after I would expect from someone who got to know PC's after 2000.
You just admitted that you don't mind microsoft taking over your privacy, taking control of your systems just because you are to lazy to resetup a new system ounce in a blue moon. I am all for advancement but the current trend in the tech industry is to " cloud" everything. Managing your own system may be more time consuming but at least you stay in control of "whatever" you want to keep in control. Windows 8 is the ultimate
OS that tells you to do only what and how It wants things to be done (excluding MAC OS). With every new windows release we are losing more and more of how we want to use our PC's and how our data and info is being managed.
You may be confortable putting time to learn how microsoft wants you to use your PC over and over again, but I have been doing so scince the days of DOS and I really am tired of the fact that at least 15 years of learning what microsoft wants are now obselete. Keeping up with the times will one day bite you in the *** whoever you are!

B
I, for one, got over Windows 8 as soon as I deleted it and installed Windows 7. MS is calling W9 "Threshold," but they really should rename it "Under the Bus," because that's likely where it will end up for a lot of old school Windows users. MS still doesn't get the productivity mentality many users have and insist upon. We don't need tiles or cloud subscriptions or tethers to a Big Brother future. Give us an OS we can install that runs reliably and lets us get things done. Is that too much to ask for?

No, peoples never hated start button except some brainless.
The Start button-menu and the Aero the best features in Windows ever.
90% Win users want Button and use Win7 and XP and 10% not.
Go and read Betanews, every article from amazing Windows 8 and Metro softwares, sooo loosers.
And dinosaurise PC everyday, lol.

So I see no difference from 7 here.

Windows 8 is not my cup of tea.

Windows X any one ? (On no I didn't .. that's right I used X for the OSX from MS!)

The method and context of the Windows 8 boggles the mind in terms of, "who thought that was a good idea...". Having said that, you literally have zero basis for not only the historical facts, but especially when you enunciate this with declarations like, "you can count on it", and "...they have lost touch with their customer base."

The facts and the timeline clearly place your sweeping judgement as false as confirmed by the following: Win 95 = industry standard across the board; Win ME = DISASTER; XP = unbelievable/unmatched success in the history of OS and to which all others strived to emulate; Vista = an abortion of a release not unlike ME; Win 7 = similar in quality and support as XP; Win 8 = like clockwork, another subsequent brain fart; 9 = ?.

Based on the history and timeline, MS will have to have an unmitigated success with 9 to remain the ubiquitous Goliath and OS standard bearer it has been for over 20 yrs...

B
I, for one, got over Windows 8 as soon as I deleted it and installed Windows 7. MS is calling W9 "Threshold," but they really should rename it "Under the Bus," because that's likely where it will end up for a lot of old school Windows users. MS still doesn't get the productivity mentality many users have and insist upon. We don't need tiles or cloud subscriptions or tethers to a Big Brother future. Give us an OS we can install that runs reliably and lets us get things done. Is that too much to ask for?
Uhh, they did? It's called Windows 8/8.1. Maybe you've heard of it?

As someone who's been actually using it for well over a year, there's nothing it's prevented me doing. I see this same old tired argument "Oh it prevents me from doing xyz.." or "Oh it prevents me from being productive", and think everytime how much BS is include in those statements.

If win8 provides a bad UX to keyboard and mouse users, then so does every other version since Windows 95 since they all work in very similar ways.

B
Uhh, they did? It's called Windows 8/8.1. Maybe you've heard of it?

As someone who's been actually using it for well over a year, there's nothing it's prevented me doing. I see this same old tired argument "Oh it prevents me from doing xyz.." or "Oh it prevents me from being productive", and think everytime how much BS is include in those statements.

No your right, it doesn't actually stop you from doing anything, the main issue is that is takes LONGER to do things, example? getting into Control Panel. Getting to your saved wireless networks list, powering the system off, finding a newly installed program that didn't create a desktop shortcut. There's a load more I could mention but you get the idea.

Other annoying little niggles like the fact the start menu uses the entire screen, that is just off putting and when your working quickly it's very annoying. Again it doesn't stop you doing anything, but it half makes it longer to get to any of it (can I also note it makes things like RDP access to servers less responsive if you accidentally click on it or need to get into the start menu for some reason, full screen was a stupid idea with the exception of tablets).

I've been using 8/8.1 since the 8 preview at work, of course I got used to it and of course I get to things much quicker now, but my point still stands, basic stuff like getting to windows update is quicker on a Windows 7 machine.

Back