Microsoft is bringing a redesigned Task Manager to Windows 11

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Another visual change is coming to Windows 11 in the form of a refreshed Task Manager. The utility is being updated with a Fluent Design to bring it more in line with the rest of the operating system's modern interface.

The updated version of Task Manager was discovered in Windows build 22538 that was rolled out yesterday. The latest build doesn’t contain a lot of notable changes, but Gustave Monce, the same engineering student who managed to get Windows 11 running on a phone, discovered the hidden feature.

The new-look Task Manager isn’t a complete change from the current tool. Microsoft's mica blur effect, which incorporates theme and desktop wallpaper into the background of windows such as apps and settings, is evident. There are also the rounded corners Windows 11 users will be familiar with.

But there is one notable difference between the two Task Manager versions: the Windows 11 incarnation has removed the previous tabbed interface and replaced it with a sidebar. There are also buttons for creating a new task, ending a task, and other functions.

As this is a hidden feature still in development that Microsoft hasn’t announced yet, much of the new Task Manager isn’t working right now; many of the older version’s elements have been pasted into the new one, though it does appear to have a dark mode.

An earlier Insider Preview Build (22533) brought with it new hardware indicators for brightness, volume, airplane mode, and camera. Windows 11 is also getting a new Notepad and Media player. But for those traditionalists who prefer the way things are, check out our guide on how to make Windows 11 look and feel more like Windows 10.

Permalink to story.

YES! Rounded corners! Thank you MS! You're a godsend! The sharp corners of the task manager was the last thing that has been keeping me from moving to Windows 11. OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! Yes!

I still hate that MS moved the Start Up function from the msconfig to the Task Manager in Windows 10. Even though I know it has been moved, I still pull up msconfig.

Things are getting more and more difficult to find as these versions keep coming out. I still can't find half the stuff I need in the Settings in Windows 10, even with the search function for it, that used to be in the Control Panel. Then some of the stuff that you can find, it has some of the features adjusted/removed/changed so they don't work like you want them when they used to be in the Control Panel - which means the actual setting you want is harder to find and requires more time trying to figure out where the helI they put it.

I really wish MS would stop trying to re-invent the OS and just fix the glaring issues and security problems first. Then when they do put out GUI changes, to make sure they didn't actually break other things and that everything they're putting out works. I know, that's asking too much of them. I should feel bad about it.

My only complaint about the Windows 8/10 task manager is it's slow to start up and uses a significant portion of CPU every time it opens. They should really optimize it... Overall though it is a significant improvement over the previous task managers in terms of look, feel, features, and functionality.

YES! Rounded corners! Thank you MS! You're a godsend! The sharp corners of the task manager was the last thing that has been keeping me from moving to Windows 11. OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! Yes!
Rofl. :laughing:

I've been using Win11 for 2 months now and there are 2 indispensable programs that I use: StartAllBack and Winaero Tweaker.

With these 2 combined, not only did I make Win11 look and work and feel amazing (including round edges on everything), but it's also better than any Win10 can ever be.

This is a one time labor, after install, it takes maybe 30 min to 1 hour to set everything in these 2 programs and then it's done. Forever.

People that don't upgrade to Win11 because of this have really no clue how easy it is to make Win11 better. Pffft.

Is there a way to get dark mode in Windows 10 for task manager specifically? Dark mode already enabled.

Not only is it an unnecessary UI change, its also pretty lazy, as they have left the main process window as is and just shifted the tabs to the side...
It's clearly not yet done and it seems like they want to expand the functionality of the task manager. Making it a sidebar will allow then to add more "tabs" with less restrictions on the title length without crowding them.

Please make the whole UI consistent. I can find UI elements of every single version of Windows since it began. Makes it look more patched than a pair of old jeans.

Still no Direct Storage. But we got more UI changes that mean nothing.
At this point I´m certain that MS is trolling us.

Is there a way to get dark mode in Windows 10 for task manager specifically? Dark mode already enabled.
No. Not without using high contrast theme that scews up everything else. I have LONG waited for Task Manger to get Dark Mode. Looks like it's finally happening. Now if only File Explorer got Tabs...

I still hate that MS moved the Start Up function from the msconfig to the Task Manager in Windows 10. Even though I know it has been moved, I still pull up msconfig.

Things are getting more and more difficult to find as these versions keep coming out. I still can't find half the stuff I need in the Settings in Windows 10, even with the search function for it, that used to be in the Control Panel. Then some of the stuff that you can find, it has some of the features adjusted/removed/changed so they don't work like you want them when they used to be in the Control Panel - which means the actual setting you want is harder to find and requires more time trying to figure out where the helI they put it.

I really wish MS would stop trying to re-invent the OS and just fix the glaring issues and security problems first. Then when they do put out GUI changes, to make sure they didn't actually break other things and that everything they're putting out works. I know, that's asking too much of them. I should feel bad about it.
Joking aside I have LONG waited for Task Manger to get Dark Mode. Looks like it's finally happening. Now if only File Explorer got Tabs...

I do agree with you on the dual control panels tho.

They really need to get the UI of Windows consistent so it doesn't keep dropping into the styling from previous OS's and this a step on that very long journey. Hopefully the rework to UI's is being done in a manner which abstracts and centralises the controls etc so that they can update and restyle it in future more easily without having to revisit every application, control panel form etc!

Windows 11 seems ok-ish to me - wish they hadn't dumbed-down the start menu so much, but other than that it mostly seems fine.

When are Microsoft going to make up their mind about utility functions?
We used to have Control Panel which worked fine and it was easy to find your required function.
They then added Settings which perform some of the CP functions and you have to switch between the two to find your desired function.
Now they have added Windows tools which contains the CP and other functions which have been added. Can be a pain having to wade through pages of settings to find a desired function which you then find is still in Control Panel! As we all know, more is better with MS but the clutter seems to increase with every new build. Just comparing the size of task manager of w7 with w11 is an eye opener. I guess one gets used to sifting through stuff to find what you want but surely there must be a better thought out access method.

The only truly major improvement I've seen in Windows since XP, is the addition of native AHCI drivers.

I guess second would be the slideshow addition to "Aero"..

The 3rd would be "free" Windows Media Center in Win 7. Oh but wait, they took that away, didn't they?

Last edited:
Back