Microsoft not done acquiring game studios following $7.5 billion Bethesda buyout, says...

zakislam

Forward-looking: Microsoft has been buying up game studios left and right as it plays catch up to Sony. PlayStation exclusives—for both last and current-gen—have driven millions of customers to the platform. Microsoft has spent billions in recent months acquiring developers to expand its roster of games, but the spending spree is not over yet.

The Wall Street Journal recently interviewed Microsoft's vice-president of gaming and head of the Xbox division Phil Spencer. During the publication's Tech Live event, Spencer confirmed Xbox is still willing to buy more game studios should suitable opportunities arise.

"We're definitely not done. There's no quota, no timeline where I have to go acquire studios by a certain time, but if we find a studio where we have a good fit... absolutely," Spencer stated.

Last year, Microsoft showcased its intent in providing console owners with more exclusives via its acquisition of Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax, for $7.5 billion. The deal included several developers apart from the Fallout creator, including id Software, Arkane Studios, MachineGames, and others.

Prior to that blockbuster deal, Microsoft also flexed its purchasing power by buying Devil May Cry developer Ninja Theory, inXile Entertainment, and Minecraft creator Mojang Studios.

Meanwhile, Sony is enjoying record sales for the PlayStation 5, primarily due to the momentum carried over from the PlayStation 4. The last-gen console boasted a robust lineup of exclusives. The PS4 became the clear winner in sales compared to the Xbox One, selling 60 million units more than Microsoft's system.

In addition to several in-house developers like Santa Monica Studio and Naughty Dog, Sony has also been adding to its lineup by buying Demon's Souls remake developer Bluepoint Games. Moreover, it paid $229 million for Insomniac Games, best known for the Ratchet & Clank franchise.

Microsoft has access to a much larger war chest to derive funds from than Sony, of course. Therefore, the Redmond technology giant can make serious headway in the console wars if it can replicate the Bethesda buyout and bring even more well-known studios under its control. It's already made some notable progress in attracting consumers with Xbox Game Pass, a service that has established itself as the Netflix for games.

There's one thing both Sony and Microsoft have in common, though—playing catch up to the Nintendo Switch. The hybrid gaming device has dominated the sales chart for both the current and previous generations of consoles since its launch over four years ago.

Permalink to story.

This is good news, Xbox Game pass is awesome value and where I play most games, I’d much rather a studio be bought out by MS and play the game on gamepass than have to buy the game. I do find it bizarre that they still release a lot of these titles on Sonys PlayStation but I hate the existence of paid exclusivity.

Sony should be careful, MS now owns Minecraft and the TES franchise. Losing Minecraft in particular would be a massive blow for the PlayStation. And losing TES would be a pretty nasty follow up.

Personally I think MS should do a deal, they release TES for PlayStation in exchange for Ratchet and Clank or something for the Xbox.

If is exclusive only on X-BOX and not available fully on PC from day 1, I won't bother buying it ever.

If they just exclude other consoles I won't care.

If an Xbox exclusive doesn't get released for PC on day one you'll never buy it? You're so full of it I can smell it from here. Dumbest thing I heard all week.
Being a witless consoomer ego-welded to the likes of Microsoft or Sony is far more stupid by far.

I don't waste money on consoles, period. Not their hardware, not their services. No game is worth becoming a paypig, nor do I appreciate being treated like a second-class citizen by Microsoft and Sony.

If an Xbox exclusive doesn't get released for PC on day one you'll never buy it? You're so full of it I can smell it from here. Dumbest thing I heard all week.
There is no exclusive xbox game I'd be interested with. And all ms games gets release on pc, so... Yeah

This is good news, Xbox Game pass is awesome value and where I play most games, I’d much rather a studio be bought out by MS and play the game on gamepass than have to buy the game. I do find it bizarre that they still release a lot of these titles on Sonys PlayStation but I hate the existence of paid exclusivity.

Sony should be careful, MS now owns Minecraft and the TES franchise. Losing Minecraft in particular would be a massive blow for the PlayStation. And losing TES would be a pretty nasty follow up.

Personally I think MS should do a deal, they release TES for PlayStation in exchange for Ratchet and Clank or something for the Xbox.
You do realise the danger that should MS monopolise AAA gaming that MS will effectively be obligated to its shareholders to increase the Gamepass prices to increase profits? Much like Netflix started doing before streaming competition increased? It is awesome value now solely because MS are going after market share and mindshare. Once they have that locked in because they own all the major AAA developers, why would MS not increase prices? Why is that in consumers interests?

Spencer is not messing around this time around.
And I'm all for more XBOX games coming to PC. Should have happened a long time ago assuming it was possible.

Spec Ops Survival mode was exclusive to PS for a year - never bought that game (Modern Warfare) even though only a feature of it was exclusive to PS.

I don't spend money on products when I am treated this way, plenty of other places to spend them.

Spec Ops Survival mode was exclusive to PS for a year - never bought that game (Modern Warfare) even though only a feature of it was exclusive to PS.

I don't spend money on products when I am treated this way, plenty of other places to spend them.

You act like playing games on release is the best way to play them. Most of the time it will be a mess. Bug-ridden AF with lacking features and even content. These days, developers are pushed to release the game ASAP, instead of perfecting it. Because patching is easily possible. So they have no need to release a version with few bugs, when they can just release the beta and milk customers + fix bugs over time.

Typically when other platforms gets the game later, they come bug-free/perfected with all DLC included for a lower price.

You do realise the danger that should MS monopolise AAA gaming that MS will effectively be obligated to its shareholders to increase the Gamepass prices to increase profits? Much like Netflix started doing before streaming competition increased? It is awesome value now solely because MS are going after market share and mindshare. Once they have that locked in because they own all the major AAA developers, why would MS not increase prices? Why is that in consumers interests?
Lmao, yeah MS don’t have a monopoly and buying a few studios won’t give them one. Don’t worry, Sony, Nintendo and other platforms on PC will start offering similar subscription services before MS gain a monopoly.

Microsoft's biggest mistake about Game Pass, is that you can't use the same subscription service for BOTH PC and Xbox. Meaning that people that actually do own both platforms, will have to pay two subscriptions.

Why don't they make GAME PASS _one_ service that you bind to your MS account so that you can use it on both PC and XBOX. Because I know they don't really care if you play the games on PC or Xbox but game catalog is different maybe thats why...

You act like playing games on release is the best way to play them. Most of the time it will be a mess. Bug-ridden AF with lacking features and even content. These days, developers are pushed to release the game ASAP, instead of perfecting it. Because patching is easily possible. So they have no need to release a version with few bugs, when they can just release the beta and milk customers + fix bugs over time.

Typically when other platforms gets the game later, they come bug-free/perfected with all DLC included for a lower price.

Hell I have no idea no how anyone that isn't a working adult is able to dedicate enough time to play a game as soon as it comes out. I have so many games that get put on the back burner and even then most of them never make it.

Most games these days have so many time wasting side quests, I've been craving just a nice linear single player game that I can beat in 6-8hours. These games even worth my time are rare these days.

That being said, when I do get a long chunk of time I can dedicate to a game. RPGs are my choice, but if they are designed like a Ubisoft RPG that is a big pass.

Most of the games I own are bought later with discounts

Still as a matter of principle I avoid games that are marketed as exclusive even later on discounts.

I hate the practice of making a product exclusive to a platform just to force customers to buy said platform, and only way it doesn't catch on is to vote it out with your wallet.

Microsoft's biggest mistake about Game Pass, is that you can't use the same subscription service for BOTH PC and Xbox. Meaning that people that actually do own both platforms, will have to pay two subscriptions.

Why don't they make GAME PASS _one_ service that you bind to your MS account so that you can use it on both PC and XBOX. Because I know they don't really care if you play the games on PC or Xbox but game catalog is different maybe thats why...
Yes you can and I do, gamepass Ultimate works on PC and Xbox and the PC library is vast, I only have this because just before MS released gamepass I got 3 x 1yr Xbox gold keys for less than $40 each and then converted them to 3yrs Ultimate for a dollar. I won't continue this once it expires in a year because I don't have a console anymore, but I might continue with gamepass for pc.

Yes you can and I do, gamepass Ultimate works on PC and Xbox and the PC library is vast, I only have this because just before MS released gamepass I got 3 x 1yr Xbox gold keys for less than $40 each and then converted them to 3yrs Ultimate for a dollar. I won't continue this once it expires in a year because I don't have a console anymore, but I might continue with gamepass for pc.
Ultimate is expensive and pointless for most people

Console = Dustcollecter for me, happends every time I buy one

I think GamePass for PC is lacking content, mostly older games but if Microsoft starts releasing Bethesda and their new studie games on it, I might get it.

I had 3 trials (3 months and 2x 1 month) and I think the game selection sucked every time. Cheap for a reason

Ultimate is expensive and pointless for most people

Console = Dustcollecter for me, happends every time I buy one

I think GamePass for PC is lacking content, mostly older games but if Microsoft starts releasing Bethesda and their new studie games on it, I might get it.

I had 3 trials (3 months and 2x 1 month) and I think the game selection sucked every time. Cheap for a reason
I have been trying some of the older games on the xcloud system on pc and it works surprisingly well for me, playing 360 titles on a PC is so bizarre.
For the age of the system, I'm actually happy with the number of games that PC gamepass gets, especially including the EA play titles. I only paid 120 bucks for 3 years of Ultimate so to me, it's a bargain.

I have been trying some of the older games on the xcloud system on pc and it works surprisingly well for me, playing 360 titles on a PC is so bizarre.
For the age of the system, I'm actually happy with the number of games that PC gamepass gets, especially including the EA play titles. I only paid 120 bucks for 3 years of Ultimate so to me, it's a bargain.
It's fine you like it, but I think the way MS does this sucks. The games you download on Game Pass for PC are inferior versions (can't be modded) and often lacks features compared to the real game. It's lackluster versions. Several of Game Pass games downloaded on MS Store for example lacks DLSS and FSR, often older builds and hidden away in the typical WindowsApps folder using random text and numbers to hide content which is why most mods or tweaks won't work on these versions.

Again, cheap for a reason

Back