Microsoft Office 2013 drops support for XP, Vista

Rick

Staff

Microsoft has published clearer system requirements for deploying Office 2013 on its Technet website. Users still running Windows XP and Vista may be disappointed to hear that Office 2013 will not be compatible either operating system. The new version Office will only be compatible with Windows 7, 8, 2008 R2 Server and 2012 Server.

Dropping support for Windows XP is not surprising, but Vista users may feel a little sore after the stark reality of impending abandonment manages to set in. Keep in mind Vista already reached its end-of-life milestone in April, so excluding Vista from IE10 -- and now Office 2013 -- actually isn't very surprising at all.

For users who are running a compatible operating system, they'll still need to meet a set of minimum hardware requirements too. 

• CPU: 1GHz of faster x86 or x64 processor
  • RAM: 1GB for x86 or 2GB for x64
  • Storage: 3GB of available space
  • Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012
  • Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, or 10; Mozilla Firefox 10.x or a later version; Apple Safari 5; or Google Chrome 17.x.
  • .NET version: 3.5 or higher
  • Multi-touch: A touch-enabled device is required to use any multi-touch functionality. However, all features and functionality are always available by using a keyboard, mouse, or other standard or accessible input device. Note that new touch features are optimized for use with Windows 8.
  • Hardware acceleration requires DirectX10-compatible graphics card

New features in Microsoft Office 2013 include a "flatter" look which borrows heavily from Windows 8 and its Metro interface and a greater focus on touchscreen accessibility with tiles and other finger-friendly UI changes. 2013 will include cloud integration, bookmarks, PDF editing, Skype integration and various other improvements, changes and additions.

Permalink to story.

Wow...that's quite the snub. Windows 7 isn't much more than a souped up version of Vista, so a bit of a shocker there. People who are stuck on XP better get with the program. They're slowly but surely being left in the dust.

More touch BS, nice... I just don't understand how OFFICE which is PRODUCTIVITY software will benefit from being able to use your fingers. Does M$ just expect everyone to run out and get a touchscreen because windows 8 has arrived. And if you don't your stuck looking at a big clumsy interface designed for peoples fat fingers, can people really not touch? This isn't Jurassic Park, is the world just full or Sarah Hardings (26:26 into the 2nd movie if your confused)

More touch BS, nice... I just don't understand how OFFICE which is PRODUCTIVITY software will benefit from being able to use your fingers. Does M$ just expect everyone to run out and get a touchscreen because windows 8 has arrived. And if you don't your stuck looking at a big clumsy interface designed for peoples fat fingers, can people really not touch? This isn't Jurassic Park, is the world just full or Sarah Hardings (26:26 into the 2nd movie if your confused)

Office 2013 is made for keyboard and mouse, with the added feature of basic touch functionality. People complained because Microsoft went the proper route of keeping Office as primarily a keyboard + mouse friendly UI. Most of your argument is moot as far as Office goes. You should try out the preview.

Being able to touch up a few things while you're on the go is nice, so that limited touch feature set is welcome.

Mmm, its a shame that Office 2003 does everything I need...I might feel the need to leave XP. :)

I can see dropping XP. But dropping Vista support seems like intentional artificial hamstringing. If someone knows of a technical reason they are killing off Vista support, I'd like to know.

Man, I never noticed how much people cling to old technology until I started reading comments on these articles. I'm actually glad they're dropping support for xp and vista. I'm also really glad they are trying out the touch screen stuff with windows 8. I see it as a good sign for their company in general that they are dropping support for the old stuff and focusing on the new. It'll be tough for consumers at first of course, but in the long run it'll open the door for a lot more possibilities.

amstech - that isn't a technical reason :)

reeder - I completely support killing XP off, but Vista is essentially the same as 7. Killing Vista support for Office is analogous to killing Office XP support in Windows 98se but allowing it in ME.

Win 8 has some big changes from Win 7, and having spent a lot of time running the CP of 8 I'm in support of them. But there is almost no difference in today's Vista and today's Windows 7. It is a totally artificial limitation. You know where I've seen artificial limitations before..? Macs..

1. Of course! Windows Vista and 7 are the same thing (6.X), and the new 8 too!
2. Windows 8 upgrade is not free!
3. Windows XP is a rock!
4. There are OpenSuse, CentOS, Madriva, Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,... too!
5. Who needs an OS upgrade ?

1'. Of course! Office 2007 and 2010 are the same thing, and the new 2013 too!
2'. Office 2013 upgrade is not free!
3'. Office 2000 is a rock!
4'. There are Open Office and LibreOffice, too!
5'. Who needs a Office upgrade ?

The best car is that you have!
' The best sotware is that you have!

office 2003 .. is the latest version I like .. and still use ...Ribbon UI .. frustrated me

or you can switch to libreoffice like I did. it does everything I need from an office program and it's free!

I am using office 07 its frustrating to use it after becoming familiar with '03 then I heard '10 was released then this I just don't see the point in uprading as it is more of a pain and off course you have to pay for the pain.

Schools will probably will be the least effected. Waste of money for them up upgrade. They used 03 for a while even when 07 came out and just had converters installed for people that didn't know how to save as an compatible 03 file >_>

amstech - that isn't a technical reason :)

reeder - I completely support killing XP off, but Vista is essentially the same as 7. Killing Vista support for Office is analogous to killing Office XP support in Windows 98se but allowing it in ME.

Win 8 has some big changes from Win 7, and having spent a lot of time running the CP of 8 I'm in support of them. But there is almost no difference in today's Vista and today's Windows 7. It is a totally artificial limitation. You know where I've seen artificial limitations before..? Macs..

Good point, yeah it probably wouldn't have been too much trouble to include Vista support.

Man, I never noticed how much people cling to old technology until I started reading comments on these articles. I'm actually glad they're dropping support for xp and vista. I'm also really glad they are trying out the touch screen stuff with windows 8. I see it as a good sign for their company in general that they are dropping support for the old stuff and focusing on the new. It'll be tough for consumers at first of course, but in the long run it'll open the door for a lot more possibilities.

That's like saying your 6 year old fridge is "old" technology. Most average households can't afford to buy a new computer every 5 years. Nor should they feel they have to when the one they have still works.
The problem I see Microsoft creating here is compatibility issues with new Office files and older versions of Office. Thus making people feel they need to upgrade their whole home computer just to work on spreadsheets from work or colleagues.
Again, this seems to be another M$ decision based solely on potential income rather than consumer needs.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Did XP suddenly not work for millions of people? Office 97 still works on Windows 7 and produces fine-looking documents.

Enjoy your Windows 8 Kool-Aid.

That's like saying your 6 year old fridge is "old" technology. Most average households can't afford to buy a new computer every 5 years. Nor should they feel they have to when the one they have still works.
The problem I see Microsoft creating here is compatibility issues with new Office files and older versions of Office. Thus making people feel they need to upgrade their whole home computer just to work on spreadsheets from work or colleagues.
Again, this seems to be another M$ decision based solely on potential income rather than consumer needs.

I'm not saying EVERYONE needs to buy this stuff. If you are happy with less high tech stuff thats cool, whatever works for you. In the grand scheme of things though, the thing that gets the majority of consumers excited to buy stuff is coming out with new, innovative stuff. Apple is living proof of that. It's been ten years since XP. All I'm saying is that I'm happy that Microsoft is focusing all of its talent on making technology better for all of us people who don't want to stick with XP until the end of time.

What drives me onto the next operating system is when it can run something that I want, that I can't do on the OS I am using.

The only reason I moved on from 98SE for example was that "The Battle for Middle-Earth" would not run on it. So that game made me upgrade to Windows XP, which I am on now.

Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 offer me nothing but a new interface to learn, the removal of features that I use, and an increased use of hard drive space.

Where is the essential app or game that makes me want to upgrade? Why should I leave Windows XP, which I have gotten to run exactly as I need it to, when the ones after it offer me nothing but frustration and having to spend time getting basic features like the File Types tab back.

I'm running Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my second desktop and with the removal of the Start Menu I now either have to use the annoyance of Metro or have a desktop cluttered with icons.

FAIL-Software~!

Let me get this straight office is all about productivity yet it can't run on windows xp? I am I missing something here? Why would you call your product very productive if it doesn't work on windows xp. Way to make the work environmentt more complicated and less productive between users. Thanks but no thanks I'll stick with office 2010, at least it works on just about EVERY windows os including Win8. Office 2013 looks like 2 steps backwards rather than forward.

So wait 2012 only works with Windows 7 and 8? What business in their right mind would buy this lol? This a joke or something because last I looked business are still having a hard time leaving Windows XP. Yeah I'll stick with office 2010, looks the same,cost less, and actually works on more than 2 OS....

I guess you guys didn't get the memo where Microsoft dropped support for XP and Vista. This drop in support is relevant to any application that they are developing as well as future OS updates. Dropping OS support in applications is just another step in forgetting an antiquated OS.

Okay with XP, but Vista? Really?

Hmm, well, I can't afford Windows 7. Torrent anyone? ;)
Honestly, please try again with a valid argument.

If you can afford Office (2010 or 2013), you can afford Windows 7. In some instances Office is twice the price of Windows 7, depending on the version/edition selected.

Back