Microsoft pledges to 'lead the way' in PC gaming

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft just doesn't know when to stop. The company dropped a doozy earlier this week after saying "hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC anymore," with many abandoning the platform to play titles such as Halo. "It's all about the console," Redmond said. Obviously that's a stretch, and the company received due criticism. In an interview with MCV, Microsoft acknowledged its blunder and said it is working hard to deliver Windows games too, promising to "lead the way" on PC.

"Other companies should look to Microsoft for leadership, but I'm not sure they do," said Microsoft Game Studios general manager Dave Luehmann. "It is our job to lead the way on PC. And in some ways we are doing that and in other ways we are not. So we need to step up." Luehmann continued by flaunting three "big IPs" Redmond is preparing for the PC, including Fable III, Age of Empires Online, and Microsoft Flight, with more to follow.

Shacknews rightfully notes that it's hard to take those sentiments seriously when Microsoft indefinitely delayed Fable III for PC just last month, prioritizing the Xbox 360 version.

Permalink to story.

They do provide a base platform for probably 95% of PC gaming. I know its a stupidly idealistic notion, but with there being only 2 CPU manufacturers, 2 video card manufacturers, and a handful of sound card manufacturers, you'd figure they could work together to achieve a stable environment.

So one end of the dog barks, and the other wags? This only confuses gamers, and not just those on PC.

I don't understand why developers deem it necessary to badmouth consoles or the PC in the first place. It doesn't accomplish anything, and only gives people the jitters.

What a bunch of simpletons. I know a couple of MS folks that are pretty high up the food chain. I'm going to ask them what's been in the kool-aid they've been drinking lately next time I see them.

"Other companies should look to Microsoft for leadership, but I'm not sure they do," said Microsoft Game Studios general manager Dave Luehmann.
With Microsoft's apparent ambivalence toward PC gaming why would anyone?

NO... No they won't 'lead the way in PC gaming' because for one thing they 'gpt rid' of the PC gamers playing ingames with xbox LIVE gamers and that was a disgrace, could have done so much good stuff with that.

When I used to play the sh**box 360 I played a game called shadowrun and it was a briliant game and you could play with PC gamers on that even though it was quite rare back then. And microsoft ended up shutting down FASA Studios(ones who developed shadowrun) =/

So no they won't, I think the ones at microsoft that are talking crap right now must be eating, drinking or smoking something they shouldn't be if you 'get my drift' hahaha =D

Johny47 said:
NO... No they won't 'lead the way in PC gaming' because for one thing they 'gpt rid' of the PC gamers playing ingames with xbox LIVE gamers and that was a disgrace, could have done so much good stuff with that.

When I used to play the sh**box 360 I played a game called shadowrun and it was a briliant game and you could play with PC gamers on that even though it was quite rare back then. And microsoft ended up shutting down FASA Studios(ones who developed shadowrun) =/

So no they won't, I think the ones at microsoft that are talking crap right now must be eating, drinking or smoking something they shouldn't be if you 'get my drift' hahaha =D

I'm pretty sure Microsoft did a test at some point which pitted PC gamers against Xbox gamers, and the PC gamers won every time, hands down. So I think there's good reason why PC gamers and console gamers don't coexist in games.

Regardless... with so many solid game producers, I don't see how Microsoft will raise its own bar enough to become an example for others.

Well, judging by comments recently from the Microsoft camp, they would only be "leading the way" over a cliff, and hoping the industry follows like lemmings... If they had their way, the PC gaming industry carcass would end up right next to the Blu-Ray carcass at the bottom of the cliff.

Really, the Microsoft Games Studios manager actually said that companies should look to MS for leadership, but he seems surprised that they don't seem to. Considering how often they are pulling their feet out of their mouths, can you blame the industry? Maybe they should reign in the *****s with no brain/mouth filters that are working for them, and possibly get a cohesive strategy for the entire company, not just this apparent free-for-all between their internal departments. Then they'd be more industry leadership material. Right now, in my opinion, they just look like a bunch of contradictory morons with more pride than grasp of reality.

PC gaming is huge if you look at sales of real pc games they generate tons of money but they do it over time and not in 1 week. Multiplat game sales of pc are ofcourse less bc why buy it if it just sum cheap 360 port. Games that considerate on multiplayer like call of duty 5, or bad company 2 tend to do better because hacked copies cant get online so people go out and actually buy it.

treeski said:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft did a test at some point which pitted PC gamers against Xbox gamers, and the PC gamers won every time, hands down. So I think there's good reason why PC gamers and console gamers don't coexist in games.

IIRC This was more to do with games like World of Warcraft that make heavy use of the keyboard compared to the consoles controller... Im sure they could write games that work well on both platforms however this would be limiting the extended functionality a Keyboard/Mouse setup provides.

i wonder if they have ever heard of a company called valve? Valve has Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Half life series, TF2, Portal, and theres more to this list.. Seems that Counter Strike and Counter Strike Source being in that list on its own.. has shown that Valve is leading the way in FPS and its main game would be CS and CS:S which is the most played game probably in gaming today.

MarkHughes said:
IIRC This was more to do with games like World of Warcraft that make heavy use of the keyboard compared to the consoles controller... Im sure they could write games that work well on both platforms however this would be limiting the extended functionality a Keyboard/Mouse setup provides.

Nope, the study I saw had to do with FPS games. The mouse/keyboard combo gave a massive advantage in precision over the console controls. It lead Microsoft to kill PC/Console cross platform shooter projects, since the console players were losing every time.

Vrmithrax said:
MarkHughes said:

Nope, the study I saw had to do with FPS games. The mouse/keyboard combo gave a massive advantage in precision over the console controls. It lead Microsoft to kill PC/Console cross platform shooter projects, since the console players were losing every time.

would it kill you guys to provide a link???? https://www.techspot.com/news/39738...because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html

hah....good link.
proves what 'bantha fodder' those controllers really are when it comes to playing shooter games....never liked them, that is why i don't own a console.

Back