Microsoft Surface keyboard and mouse suggest AIO Surface PC is on the way

midian182

Staff member

Rumors circling around were accurate: Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Surface event is taking place October 26. Expect to see the Surface keyboard and mouse to be unveiled, along with at least one all-in-one Surface-branded PC. There will also be plenty of announcements relating to Windows 10 and Xbox. Microsoft may not refresh its Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book devices at this event however.

Rumors of an all-in-one Surface computer have been circling for a while after evidence appeared suggesting that Microsoft would reveal Surface-branded PC accessories and an AIO PC soon – at the hardware event we've now have confirmed will take place later this month.

A filing from Microsoft on the Bluetooth Special Interest Group site for a “Surface Ergonomic Keyboard” indicated the peripheral was on its way. Another filing appeared earlier this week, this one from the FCC (spotted by Windows Central), showing a Surface-branded Bluetooth keyboard that resembles an updated Designer Bluetooth Desktop kit, featuring the same low profile and chiclet keys.

The FCC filing also shows a surface-branded mouse that, other than being a different color, appears identical to the Designer mouse. Ars Technica notes that both keyboard and mouse are in the same gray as the magnesium alloy of the Surface Book. They both use Bluetooth 4 Low Energy, with the mouse able to last 12 months on its two AAA batteries.

There’s still no images of the elusive all-in-one surface device, but the keyboard and mouse appear to be accessories designed for the device. Patents uncovered back in August suggest the AIO will use a modular design that can be expanded with components (memory, RAM, storage, GPU, etc.) by adding extra levels that are held together via magnets or slots or a combination of the two.

Microsoft hasn’t unveiled any major new hardware this year, so it’s likely prepping for some big announcements at the hardware event.

Permalink to story.

New just in - incoming lawsuit because of similarities between new Surface keyboards and Apple's keyboards....

New just in - incoming lawsuit because of similarities between new Surface keyboards and Apple's keyboards....
I had to double check just to make sure, but that might not be a joke. I don't think apple will win, but they are suehappy enough to try. Their legal teams have gotten so big that they could essentially "lobby" the company to sue. Many of these lawyers charge by the hour what I make in a week and I'm sure they need to keep working.

That gives me an interesting thought. At what point does a companies legal department become so expensive to oprate that the company is no longer profitable? Perhaps that's why apple got ride of the 3.5mm jack. That would certainly explain the apple tax

Apple still has a case of sour grapes against the guy that made the first Apple OS. What was his name again? Billy Something I think. Nice kid.

I really wish they made some darker accents on the hardware. Too much gray and white.

I had to double check just to make sure, but that might not be a joke. I don't think apple will win, but they are suehappy enough to try. Their legal teams have gotten so big that they could essentially "lobby" the company to sue. Many of these lawyers charge by the hour what I make in a week and I'm sure they need to keep working.

That gives me an interesting thought. At what point does a companies legal department become so expensive to oprate that the company is no longer profitable? Perhaps that's why apple got ride of the 3.5mm jack. That would certainly explain the apple tax
As long as the lawsuits generate the free advertising from the various news outlets around the world they will stick around I guess.

I hate the colour too, it reminds me on the old Windows 2.1 and 95 pc's that were always cream/ white and turned a horrible dirty colour after a year of use.

As long as the lawsuits generate the free advertising from the various news outlets around the world they will stick around I guess.

I hate the colour too, it reminds me on the old Windows 2.1 and 95 pc's that were always cream/ white and turned a horrible dirty colour after a year of use.
Sounds like you are a smoker. Mine stayed good looking for years.

I really wish they made some darker accents on the hardware. Too much gray and white.
With the gray colors, you'll never know whether or not it needs to be dusted. Black, is an entirely different story.

...[ ]...I hate the colour too, it reminds me on the old Windows 2.1 and 95 pc's that were always cream/ white and turned a horrible dirty colour after a year of use.
Weren't the original Radio Shack, "Trash Eighties", (TRS-80), the same sort of neutral gray blah?

Last edited:
With the gray colors, you'll never know whether or not it needs to be dusted. Black, is an entirely different story.
If it wasn't just dusted, it needs to be dusted, just like everything else in the world. Dust never sleeps...or was that Rust Never Sleeps?

If it wasn't just dusted, it needs to be dusted, just like everything else in the world. Dust never sleeps...or was that Rust Never Sleeps?
I imagine that would depend on who you've been listening to more, Neil Young, or your granny.

Sounds like you are a smoker. Mine stayed good looking for years.
Good point, the owner was a heavy smoker so could explain. It's just one of those things that sticks in your head though!
Apple and Microsoft won't sue each other
You seem very certain of that, yet provide not supporting arguments?
MS and Apple have been working together for quite a bit now every since that $150 million dollar investment MS made in Apple years ago that kept them alive. Unlike with Samsung, MS and Apple tend to just cross license or make agreements when one has a patent and the other might infringe on it. That is why MS was not sued over the Surface but Samsung was sued over the Tab, MS took the agreement that Apple offered while Samsung turned it down. They go back and forth and right now are probably so intertwined that suing each other would just make things worse for both of them.

MS and Apple have been working together for quite a bit now every since that $150 million dollar investment MS made in Apple years ago that kept them alive. Unlike with Samsung, MS and Apple tend to just cross license or make agreements when one has a patent and the other might infringe on it. That is why MS was not sued over the Surface but Samsung was sued over the Tab, MS took the agreement that Apple offered while Samsung turned it down. They go back and forth and right now are probably so intertwined that suing each other would just make things worse for both of them.
Just did a bit of googling in disbelief - I would of thought being direct competitors they would be at each others throats. They haven't sued each other since the 80's!

They are not direct competitors as shown by the I'm a PC and I'm a Mac commercials. People don't change from what they use and know to something new and alien without a lot more than a commercial saying they should. It takes your computer frying and being given the other type by a friend.

Back