Microsoft wants to launch first modern smartwatch in time for the holidays

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft watch fitness smartwatch fitness tracker wearable

Microsoft is planning to unveil its long-rumored wearable wristwatch within the next few weeks with intentions of launching it in time to (hopefully) cash in on the lucrative holiday buying season according to sources familiar with the matter as reported by Forbes.

The hybrid smartwatch / fitness tracker, which will be compatible with multiple mobile platforms including Android, iOS and Windows Phone, is to last more than two days on a single charge. If true, that’d put it ahead of other devices already on the market like the Samsung Galaxy Gear and Motorola’s Moto 360 . Both of those devices require a daily recharge.

If you recall, Forbes first revealed Microsoft’s wearable ambitions this past May. The device is said to draw on engineering expertise from the Kinect division and feature a number of embedded sensors. At the time, the watch was also described as looking similar to the Samsung Gear Fit with a full-color touchscreen.

The decision to make the wearable cross-platform certainly falls in line with CEO Satya Nadella’s vision of Microsoft. One can’t help but wonder if former boss Steve Ballmer would have made Microsoft’s first modern wearable a Windows Phone-only affair.

Redmond's mobile OS makes up just 2.5 percent of the global smartphone market according to IDC. Releasing a smartwatch that’s only compatible with Windows Phone could have severely limited its potential success, but I digress.

No word yet on what Microsoft plans to name the device, how much it will sell for or when exactly it’ll be available.

Permalink to story.

Until the day comes I can buy a Casio "smartwatch" that is less than 100 bucks, has the BASIC functions of time, that is set with WWV, has a metal band, has a battery that lasts for at least a year (my WR50M wave ceptor lasts for years), and is rugged enough to be dropped, banged into, scratched, heated, cold, shocked WITHOUT PROBLEMS, I'll skip the whole smart watch. Heck, I don't see a lot of young people these days wearing watches, opting for using their phone. This smart watch is a technology, in look of an reason to buy one. Maybe hipsters, but I don't get it.

At least my pebble can last through few days, more then a 3 at least, of course they advertised more (about 7) but it's still lot better then charge every day, that is just stupid for me, I did buy 3x bigger battery for my note to be able to last 3 days and now I would have to charge my watch every f.... day - no way, Jose

pmcardle

So I just tho the Zune story, compare with iPod.
The fact is not hate, the fact is fact.
After Apple Watch MS start copy them, I predict the result will same az Zune.
so
And You told who is who, You can.
lol
Can you tell me MS and smart in same thing?
I want to learn, maybe

Back