Microsoft will remove some Windows 10 bloatware from fresh installs in an upcoming update

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Windows 10 is a decent enough operating system these days (though many still prefer 7), but it's far from perfect. One of the bigger frustrations users have with the OS is its many pre-installed bloatware apps that few use, such as Paint 3D. Fortunately, starting with Windows 10's upcoming "Sun Valley" update, Microsoft will begin removing some of these unwanted programs -- for new installations, anyway.

This means that post-Sun Valley, any time you reinstall Windows 10 on your computer or install it for the first time on a different device, you'll no longer see 3D Viewer and Paint 3D in the list of pre-installed apps.

It's not hard to see why Microsoft chose these two programs in particular. The Windows 10 userbase is incredibly varied, and both of these apps are simply too niche to appeal to everyone -- which the ideal pre-installed app should. For example, we can all benefit from Windows 10's Calendar and Calculator apps.

Paint 3D and 3D Viewer have already been removed from the pre-installed app list in the latest Windows 10 Insider builds (starting with version 21332), so it's unlikely that the company will change its mind here.

To be clear, this does not mean these apps are being shuttered entirely. As mentioned before, this change only applies to fresh installs; those who already have Paint 3D and 3D Viewer on their system will be able to keep them if they so choose. Furthermore, the apps will remain available from the Microsoft Store moving forward.

This is a minor change, all things considered, but we're still happy to see Microsoft streamline the new user experience somewhat. Bloatware is bad enough when it comes from a PC builder like Alienware or HP, but it's even more frustrating when it's both built into the OS itself, and completely useless for most customers.

Masthead credit: Wachiwit

Permalink to story.

Keep going Microsoft... I saw a tweaked W10 Enterprise install the other day where over 130 Windows services were force disabled, from "Connected User Experience and Telemetry" spyware and "Data Collection Publishing Service" to useless cr*p like "Retail Demo Service", "Embedded Mode" for Kiosks, "Downloaded Maps Manager" & "Windows Media Player Network SS", "XBox..." to 'friendly backdoors' like "Remote Registry" & "Remote Management", etc. Then force ripped "SearchUI.exe" (Cortana) out, etc, and every program & game, Internet, etc, still worked fine but RAM usage fell to just 1.0GB (including all drivers + nVidia Control Panel running) with a significant reduction in background thread / handle count. So do a clean install, then install your drivers, check how much RAM a default W10 PRO install takes up and you'll pretty much see 30-40% of the entire OS is raw bloat in itself...

As mentioned before if MS really want to do the world a favour then release a debloated consumer version of Enterprise LTSC that's 1. Stable from one half year to the next receiving security patches but no "feature" updates and 2. As debloated as W7 was, and watch all the W7 "holdouts" that MS has spent 6 years failing to convince, switch overnight...

Last edited:
I just wish all these apps could be uninstalled so we can have a choice. Personally on both my development and personal machines I only use calculator and snip out of the preinstalled apps, And Edge to download Firefox once per new install. I'm sure that's it. This is a good first step but they need to go further.

Keep going Microsoft... I saw a tweaked W10 Enterprise install the other day where over 130 Windows services were force disabled, from "Connected User Experience and Telemetry" spyware and "Data Collection Publishing Service" to useless cr*p like "Retail Demo Service", "Embedded Mode" for Kiosks, "Downloaded Maps Manager" & "Windows Media Player Network SS", "XBox..." to 'friendly backdoors' like "Remote Registry" & "Remote Management", etc. Then force ripped "SearchUI.exe" (Cortana) out, etc, and every program & game, Internet, etc, still worked fine but RAM usage fell to just 1.0GB (including all drivers + nVidia Control Panel running) with a significant reduction in background thread / handle count. So do a clean install, then install your drivers, check how much RAM a default W10 PRO install takes up and you'll pretty much see 30-40% of the entire OS is raw bloat in itself...

As mentioned before if MS really want to do the world a favour then release a debloated consumer version of Enterprise LTSC that's 1. Stable from one half year to the next receiving security patches but no "feature" updates and 2. As debloated as W7 was, and watch all the W7 "holdouts" that MS has spent 6 years failing to convince, switch overnight...

Why not just use LTSC?

Why not just use LTSC?
I have used it and it's by far the least worst version. It's deliberately made unavailable (legally) to consumers & small businesses though and MS still do their best to dishonestly discourage people from using it with the stock "Not for general use, it's for mission critical MRI scanners, ATM's, etc" claim, but in reality it still comes with XBox, GameDVR, Bing Maps, etc, service bloat included. It's real killer feature is no feature updates at all, so at the very least it won't bloat out over time / break every 6 months, but they could do a lot more to truly debloat it if they wanted. Even amateur sites do a better job at slimming down stock services.

Last edited:
This is the way to go, but from what I've seen, most of the time the worse doesn't come from Windows bloat but manufacturers putting their own useless apps and other trial crap pre-installed that you don't want.
I thought this is a solved problem after MS added "Reset your PC" long time ago. Last time I bought a new laptop I reset immediately after first boot and all garbage were gone. Hopefully MS hasn't caved in and regressed there, though I acknowledge most consumers probably wouldn't reset their PC right after purchase...

I just wish all these apps could be uninstalled so we can have a choice. Personally on both my development and personal machines I only use calculator and snip out of the preinstalled apps, And Edge to download Firefox once per new install. I'm sure that's it. This is a good first step but they need to go further.
I even install "Old Windows 7 Calculator" because I really hate the "new" touch friendly, non-compact calculator in Windows 10 :D
Just a day ago I saw a PC with i5 (7. gen I believe), that was still using HDD as a main, and I was regularly "destroyed" for 5-15 minutes with telemetry, indexing, Windows updates on every start of the PC.

All Windows licence I use are legal, but I sure am tempted to install my next attempt with some "custom" settings and builds.

I even install "Old Windows 7 Calculator" because I really hate the "new" touch friendly, non-compact calculator in Windows 10 :D

Same here. I really dislike the default "mobile app Calc". Old calculator is part of Windows family, how could they just dump it? :)

In general first thing after I install W10 Pro is graphic driver, download all patches available. Then lock-out the system completely from updates/WD and telemetry, and then proceeding with details like installing programs, printers and stuff. It's completely bonkers for me to live in fear that every new SP (or as newspeak: feature update) will screw everything to the point new install is better choice. Learned that the hard way and now upgrade Windows version every time doing new system. Never use WU. On work (or any) machine it simply isn't worth the problems. I refuse being guinea pig for testing.

It's stupid already you just cant remove shortcuts or other useless references from within remove add / remove programs.

For those of you worried about any update Microsoft pushes out - don't fret.
I hear that along with this update that is designed to remove some unwanted bloatware, Microsoft will also make sure that about 5% of people that update will have files permanently deleted, another 5% will have massive printer issues while another 5% will have network connectivity issues and and yet another 5% will have constant BSOD crashes that may or may not require a complete re-install of the OS.

Microsoft will do as they have in the past with Windows 10 updates; they'll keep screwing something up and allow the user base to be their testing group.

Paint 3d and 3d viewer are bloat, sure, but only in the install size sense. Cool to see them removed, since we still have good ol paint. I'd much rather see MS eliminate the bloat that cloggs task manages with hundreds of tasks while NOTHING is open. I should be idling with 2.5 GB of RAM on the desktop MS, and I'm sure that bloat steals CPU cycles and slows things down. Ever seen Windows 10 on a HDD? Yeah.....

MS could easily sell a debloated 10 if they wanted to, the enthusiast community would lap it up. But MS seems really intent on pushing linux instead.

Same here. I really dislike the default "mobile app Calc". Old calculator is part of Windows family, how could they just dump it? :)

In general first thing after I install W10 Pro is graphic driver, download all patches available. Then lock-out the system completely from updates/WD and telemetry, and then proceeding with details like installing programs, printers and stuff. It's completely bonkers for me to live in fear that every new SP (or as newspeak: feature update) will screw everything to the point new install is better choice. Learned that the hard way and now upgrade Windows version every time doing new system. Never use WU. On work (or any) machine it simply isn't worth the problems. I refuse being guinea pig for testing.
Welcome to the crowd - I've disabled "automagic update" on every PC I use - including my work PC. I do an image backup on all my home PCs before every update as Windohs update has bitten several of my PCs.

W10 Pro is all languages in the world Downloaded to the HD. So yeah it's Memory hog. No Surprizes.

Paint 3D is WORTHLESS to me. Thank the lord paint still exists but is "hidden" in windows with the developers preferring to put Paint 3D on the start menu instead of Paint. Paint is a VERY useful program even though MS hurt it in Windows 10.

Hmmm. Me thinks Bloat has the intended consequence, consumer opting to get more Ram when they purchase unit. Sales of Ram go triple. Shareholder economics. Lots o jobs here there an everywhere because of Trade agreements which are no agreement at all.

The first thing I do on a Windows 10 PC is start hacking away at the unneeded services! Going from Win7 to 10, I couldn't believe the number of added services! Most of it is "bloatware"!

I completely agree, bloatware to me is 3rd party garbage like candy crush, McAfee, etc. Or if you have a Verizon mobile phone you are stuck with the NFL app wither you like it or not.
Word.
Try Android Studio and ABD tools if you have Android. I was able to uninstall or disable most of my phone bloat without root using it.

Back