'Minecraft' creator severs ties with Oculus VR following Facebook acquisition

Shawn Knight

Staff member

minecraft oculus rift facebook notch markus persson

Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson was considering creating a version of the popular sandbox game for the Oculus Rift. The game wasn’t really a solid fit for the platform as it’s very motion based, runs on Java and relies on a lot of GUI but he was willing to entertain the idea of creating a slimmed down version – perhaps something along the lines of the Minecraft Pi edition.

As a top-level backer during the Kickstarter campaign, Notch was rewarded with a trip to visit the Oculus VR office – one that he took about two weeks ago. It was during this trip that the idea developed and his people started talking to their people to see if something to be worked out.

Yesterday, however, Notch learned just as we did that Facebook acquired Oculus VR and all bets were off the table. The project has since been scrapped because Notch simply doesn’t want to work with the social networking company.

In a post on his website, Notch said Facebook’s motives are too unclear and shifting and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes him trust them, he said, and that makes them seem creepy.

He added that Facebook is not a company of grassroots tech enthusiasts, they aren’t a game tech company and they have a history of caring about building user numbers – and that’s it.

Notch said he doesn’t think VR is bad for social as it could become one of the biggest applications of VR. He just doesn’t want to be a part of it.

Permalink to story.

Why since Facebook just purchased the Oculus Rift also... lol I dont think the ties will be severed for long...

Is this thing ever going high-res or vector-based?

In the days of 4K coming to the market this thing starts looking even more pathetic, even though we didn't think it was possible...

Mark Suck-erberg : "Today We announce we have bought Minecraft in 200 million"

I am not sure Tye read this post. Or I don't understand his comment.

He thinks facebook is a bunch of smart arses, who fell into a project, that *****s love. On one hand its a social site, on the other, its a governments wet dream. So many people, airing crap, letting people know all about them, who they are, where, what they are up to. And why would such a thing need oculus rift?

A company with mega money that knows nothing about VR, means it could send it in a crap direction or kill it completely.

Notch doesnt like the idea of all this. So if he severed ties, due to the acquisition ( maybe this is the word Tye has trouble with) why would he then go, oh wait facebook acquired oculus I made a mistake? Do you think he doesn't understand the term acquired ?

Personally, I'd ask for a refund while at it. Notch is perfectly right to distrust Facebake and its intentions.

Notch is like me, when we see fb buy a company like oculus we understand why, so I can visually walk around fb and see that my mother is at work and hates it... Fb just made its worst purchase yet its clear mark is trying to ruin vr headsets

I think Notch is right to drop the project because if I was him, I wouldn't want my product idea to be on Facebook. It is a very unstable website that has been occupied by too many people.

I think Notch is an *****! John Carmack had responded to the Facebook acquiring Oculus with the "still coding" comment, and that is exactly what he will continue to do for a long time ... just with more backing from Facebook. Acquisitions like this are normal. It benefits both companies. Occulus gets funding while Facebook has something to play with and find interesting ways to implement it into its future social media infrastructure ... if possible.

Google had purchased the Boston Dynamics, a robotics company, a while back. What has changed for them? Do we see innumerable robot armies with advertising banners invading our cities and creating general havoc? No! Well, not yet:).

The point is just because the project is bought by a social media company, it doesn't mean that everything Oculus is doing is going to be affected by that.

As for Notch, he is an *****. All he is trying to do is show of how much of a better man he is over the rest of the sellouts. Well, money pays for projects, Notch.

I'm not pleased about it this either. If I was one of the people who chipped in on the kickstarter, I'd feel betrayed. Hell, I feel betrayed all now, and I didn't even donate. You can be mad at facebook/Mark, I understand that, but lets not forget that they have they choice of selling or not, and the sold out...after taking your money. Good, this will make me think twice before a ever back a kick starter.

Back