Minecraft now has 112 million monthly players and growing

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Part of Microsoft’s success with Minecraft is the fact that Minecraft is going after gamers on multiple fronts including consoles, PC and mobile. There’s even a heavy focus in the education sector. But it hasn’t been all sunshine and unicorns. Last month, for example, Mojang canceled its long-promised Minecraft graphical overhaul because it was too technically demanding.

Microsoft's decision to purchase Minecraft for $2.5 billion five years ago stunned the tech and gaming communities alike. Many saw the acquisition as little more than a puzzling decision from newly minted CEO Satya Nadella but it quickly became apparent that the Redmond-based company was on to something.

While titles like Fortnite and other battle royale entries have dominated gaming headlines in recent years, Minecraft’s slow and steady approach is certainly winning the race. The game passed Tetris as the best-selling game ever earlier this year and according to studio head Helen Chiang, Minecraft now has over 112 million active players each month.

As Business Insider highlights, that’s a jump of more than 20 million users since Microsoft last supplied player numbers in October 2018. That level of growth is incredibly impressive, especially for a game that’s been available for more than 10 years now.

At the end of the day, people keep coming back to Minecraft and that’s great news for Microsoft. “It may not always be the one that's in the forefront, because there are a lot of great games that continue to come out, but it's one that they love to return to,” said Chiang.

Masthead credit: Minecraft by rafapress

Permalink to story.

Downloaded this game on XBOX a couple of weeks ago....I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I don't get it.

Sandbox game, there's no end. Even the 'bosses' are perfunctory as I've beaten them and I'm a sucktastic gamer. MC is about creativity and modding the engine to do different things. It's also an easy P2P co-op LAN game, no bogus central servers needed.

Minecraft for me is by far the best game ever made. I dread to think how many thousands of hours I have put into the game. And I’ve been PC gaming for 20 years! Only Civ comes close in total hours played for me.

However, I fear for the future of the only version worth playing - the java edition. Microsoft are developing their new bedrock edition and putting all their resources behind it. I understand why, it runs way better and has cross platform support. But the problem is, there are spawning issues, coordinates are oddly difficult to access, modding is more difficult and there are less mods and most importantly, redstone does not work like it should. Right now Java enjoys the same support as bedrock but it wouldn’t surprise me if MS start to curtail support for Java in order to push players to bedrock. I feel like I’m at the mercy of MS on this one and that’s not a good place to be. Of course if Bedrock can be fixed and behave like Java then I’m all for it, in fact it would be better as it runs fine on my phone and iPad and it would be awesome to be able to log in to the server on a train or something if I need to sort something out randomly.

Oh and if you haven’t got into minecraft yet you’re lucky, you’re in for a treat. You just need to put a bit of effort into it in the beginning, once you’re hooked that’s it for years!

Oh and any serious minecraft survival players looking for a server, hit me up, ive got a big one and plenty of capacity to add more players. Provided you abide by the server rules!

I'm not and will not be one of them.

If I'm going to waste my time building and crafting. I will get a cad program and do something constructive.

Back