Mobo & CPU (GA-M57SLI & 7750) compatibility & question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I (mainly) have a question about whether the combination of my Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 (v2.0) motherboard, based on a the Nvidia 570 will work with a Athlon 64 X2 7750 (Kuma)

I have checked my mobo manufacturer's website for the chipset compatibility list and its not even listed on there, which makes sense because they are relatively newer processors.. but the phenom quad cores are listed as working with my mobo.. so i'm wondering if these would as well...

It's an AM2 mobo, but supports AM2+ and even AM3 (I think) I'm running an athlon xp 3800 right now, so I'm looking to max out the AM2 slot without getting something too new that would make use of 3600/4000mhz hypertransports, which is limited to 2000 with am2, so it would be a waste to get anything that fancy... the 7750 supports 3600mhz hypertransport, but i dont mind downclocking that to 2000, because the price is $60 shipped for that processor, and the other processor I had my eye on is a Athlon 64 x2 6400+ (~$97), but i hear they run hot, are 125 watt, and are based on an older architecture (windsor).

There is also the option of the 5600 or 5600+ (links below) The 5600 is a 2.9ghz brisbane core (newer than windsor?) with 1mb l2 cache and is awesome at 65watts. The 5600+ is a 2.8ghz windsor core with 2mb l2 cache at 89watts. How much wil the l2 cache make a difference? Which one do you guys think is faster? I do mostly gaming, but audio and video encoding as well. Both are the same price ($67) w/ free shipping.

There is also the 5800+, which is a Brisbane at 3.0ghz with a 1mb l2 cache @89watts, its only $59 but does not include the heat sink/fan, so that will probably be another $15 on top of that, lets say $74 total w/ shipping

I'm looking to do this on a tight budget, and these seem to be my best options, just wanted to get an outside opinion on what would be the best bang for the buck (I assume the 7750, but I dont want to buy it only to find out it doesnt work with my MOBO) I only assume it *MIGHT* because it is an AM2+ chip and my mobo is supposed to be AM2+ compatable, but once again the lack of the chip being listed on my mobo's cpu compatibility chart kinda makes me hesitant, and upon further investigation if I look at a cached google copy of my mobo's cpu compatibility chart, the 7750 is listed there, WTF? (links below)

------------

(all on newegg)

Processor I want to know if would work with my MOBO, the 7750 ($60):
CANT POST LINKS
kuma 2.7ghz, 1mb l2 cache, 2mb l3 cache- 95watt

Athlon 64 6400+ ($97):
CANT POST LINKS
windsor 3.2ghz, 2 mb l2 cache- but 125 watt power consumption (ouch!)

Athlon 64 5600 ($67):
CANT POST LINKS
brisbane 2.9ghz, 1mb l2 cache- 65 watts

Athlon 64 5600+ ($67):
CANT POST LINKS
windsor 2.8ghz, 2mb l2 cache- 89watts

Athlon 64 5800+ ($74 w/heatsink/fan):
CANT POST LINKS
brisbane 3.0ghz, 1mb l2 cache--89 watts

My Mobo's CPU compatibility sheet:
CANT POST LINKS (google ga-m57sli-s4)

Google cached version of my MOBO's CPU compatibility sheet:
CANT POST LINKS (google ga-m57sli-s4 kuma 7750, and select the cached version when you see the link to gigabyte's page, should be a couple down from the top)

I'm really hoping theres someone here that can shed some light on this muckle, I really want to upgrade from this single core XP 3800+ and want to get the best bang for the buck, the 7750 seems like it would be it... but its confusing to know if it will work. The cached cpu compatibility chart has dashes by the 7750, but you will notice that cpus that arent supported have a N/A by them, and theres only a couple on the bottom in the AM2+ category (which frignteningly is what the kuma 7750 is) this mobo supports up to phenom II x4 models in am3 though, you think it would be compatible! I'm very confused by this all, thanks for any help you guys can provide, and hopefully some recommendations!

The Kuma is approved for the Athlon 64 X2, and the GA-M57SLI board is approved for the Athlon 64 X2 CPU

yes, that is one of the things I brought up in my post, but as I posted, gigabype's own "cpu compatibility chart" for this motherboard does not list the athlon 64 x2 7750. They list MANY other models, and have been updating the page frequently from what I can tell, but they have not listed the 7750 there yet.

What is especially strange is that newegg has removed their listing for the 7750, and the 6400+ has gone up in price there from $89 to $109. A $20 increase, really? Pretty ridiculous.

The 7750 didnt do well much over the 6400. No point of selling it and making them have to bump the prices down of all the other chips.

Gigabyte has officially updated their CPU Compatibility Chart to reflect that the 7750 KUMA does, in fact, work with the GA-M57SLI now, with a new bios update (FHH). I bought a 6000+ w/ 2MB of L2 cache @89watts though so this is not useful for me anymore, but anyone else looking to upgrade this board might find this information useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back