Mobo psu needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

My motherboard manual says that i need an ATX12v psu and i need a new psu for the new video card (geforce6600gt) but newegg has got a 480watt psu for $16 but its only atx so whats the difference??

the both have the 4 pin thing for intel chips
and do i really need atx12v or can i have just atx?

ATX12v has an extra 4 way plug on it. If you are good with soldering then you can add the extra plug, I have on my PSU. All it is is 2 yellow cables (12v) and 2 blacks (0v).

Hope that helps. Rik.

The ATX12v has 2 separate +12v rails. This is done so that the CPU always gets enough power, regardless of other hardware attached.
Do not go for that cheapo PSU! Get a brand name, like Fortron, Enermax or Antec.
It'll cost you the best part of $70 or more, but your PC will thank you.
Read other posts about powersupplies in this forum (other Hardware) https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu14.html

That's some of the best advice you'll get. Of all things, don't skimp on the power supply although I know it's very tempting. When the cheap psu burns out, it may take out some of your expensive components with it.

Its something you need to decide for yourself. I will tell you my experience with psus, ive only ever used ebuyers own brand psus. Ive had 2 350 watters 1 of which blew (was my own fault but i fixed it) and i am now using one of their 550watt ones which does me fine.

Spend as much as you can on a psu. I purchased the video card fx6600GT-good card for the money- and went from a 230w psu to a 550w ATX12v by diablo. 50.00 from TigerDirect. Its pretty quiet and provides enough power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back