Modem drops whenever a call is made/received

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn2k5

So I have been having issues with my internet service ever since I've moved to my new house. At first my internet did not work at all until SBC finally did something on their end and got my net up a few weeks after it was suppose to be up. Well ever since it’s been up, a few months now, whenever I receive or make a call my internet will just drop... and then return a few seconds later. No big deal but when your playing online games it really becomes a bother...

I only have one phone and it’s connected to a filter in my kitchen, and my modem is connected to the phone jack inside of my room; on a two way split filter. At first I thought the issue may have been a faulty filter so I switched the filters around and still no difference... - I high doubt that all three spare filters I have would be faulty but I suppose that could be a possibility... :confused:

Alright then I went and decided that since I just moved into this house the internal wiring might be bad so I went around and checked all the phone jacks and took them apart to see if all the wires seemed to be connected correctly... Seemed okay but I still cleaned and striped and reconnected some wires that looked suspicious. After all that work.. Still no difference... Same DC when phone call was made... :(

Then I decided to do one last test. I connected my modem and phone directly up to my NID on a splitter. After a bit all the lights on my modem turned green and I was able to use the net, I thought that since the setup was hooked up directly to the NID that would bypass all possible faulty wiring within the house... but when I made a call... the connection still drops.... WTH...!?

Also I noticed that only the red and green wires were connected within my NID but NOT the black and yellow ones; I know that those are for secondary output and input but do, or should, they matter? It also doesn't seem to matter whether I used an ethernet cord or wireless because the DSL light itself goes red and it doesn't seem as if it's wireless & phone signals interfering with each other. Well I'm fresh out of ideas anyone want to give me some ideas?

Laptop HPDV6700 connected wirelessly - Vista
Custom Built Desktop connected wirelessly - XP SP3
SBC Yahoo DSL 1.5mps/300kbs
2 Wire 2701HG-B Router/Modem

call SBC and have them check sounds like the telephone line has problems, explain to them exactly what it is doing.

If your SNR is really poor on a DSL connection, other traffic on the line can cause the received signal to go below the modems receive threshold.

You're probably experiencing something of this nature. Your only real recourse is to deal with SBC. The problem is that most likely they do not own the copper going up to your house, so it may be something that you have to take up with the local teleco.

Thanks, I'll look into calling them, again, when I have time. They weren't too helpful last time.. always pointing to the same stuff that I've already tried.. filters ect... hard to find an intelligent person to talk to in their tech support...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back