Monitor not displaying, bad motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I recently assembled my own computer.

msi motherboard
intel p4 processor
radeon 9800 pro

It worked fine at first but would crash to the blue screen every 10 minutes or so saying something about the IRQs. A few days later it stopped booting all together. When I turn it on now the monitor says no signal but the fans work and all that with no beeps. So at first I thought bad graphics card but the onbaord video didnt display either. I tried the ati card on another computer and it worked fine and I tried a nvidia card and nothing. So next I tried resetting the bios with the jumpers and taking out the battery. This didn't work either. So I'm thinking now its a bad motherboard but I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions before I send it back.

try reseating the ram and other devices

go to basics [mobo, cpu, hdd, psu, sound, video], all other devices and PCI cards taken out. try booting now. if yes ok, start adding components one by one untill you find the culprit.

try and put your hdd into another pc in slave mode, and make your way to the %windows%/minidumps folder on that hdd, then zip 5-6 recent ones and post here.

look for physical damage on the boards, including leaky/poped capacitors, scorch marks, shorting etc... check that your psu has enough juice and if it is a noname brand/alcheapo, take the figure and take out 30% of the wattage. use a psu calculator to do this - google.

swap parts with another pc thats compatible -> mobo-mobo, psu-psu, etc etc.. and also the monitor as well, making sure the cable is on properly.

It sounds like a dead PSU, can you swap it with the other PC?
Maybe first thing to do is ensure you haven't grounded the mobo to the case. Check the mounting screws and make sure you used the insulating washers if the mobo came with them. Also check all connections to the mobo from the PSU including the CPU power plug (4 pin connector close to the CPU).

No beeps, no POST, can only be a dead PSU or a CPU. Hopefully you mounted and heatsink and fan on the CPU properly. Then again modern CPU's have thermal shut-off so you should be ok. Reseat the CPU just to make sure.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers

alright so I tried another power supply and nothing i remounted the cpu still nothing. This is actually my friends computer im fixing for him. I took the cpu from his last computer to make this one but the problem was he bent the pins on the cpu when he took it out a while back so i straightened them fixed his old computer and similar blue screens of death would appear so he bought a new motherboard for this computer. I had forgotten about this till now when i took out the cpu so im thinking that the cpu is probably shot. Would it be dangerous to swap the cpu in my working computer which has a p4? I just dont want to take down my computer with his
Thanks guys

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

A fried cpu can potentially damage a mobo.

So IMHO I wouldn`t try it.

You can get the cpu tested at your local pc repair shop, for only a few dollars.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I agree with Howard, there is a risk here so why take the chance. You did check to make sure the mobo isn't grounding itself to the case right? If you changed the PSU and no mobo grnding, then it is either the CPU (as you and I suspect) or you really do have a dead mobo (brand new dead mobo, hmm not likely but it does happen).

Also I wouldn't recommend putting your CPU in his PC (just in case his mobo can take yours). If it is a bad mobo, now you really run the cahnce of killing your CPU.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back