Monitor randomly going blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently bought a computer (around the end of Jan 2010), and ever since about 2-3 weeks after i bought it, i have been randomly losing signal with the monitor. This happens when the computer goes on standby, sometimes when i try to turn the computer on, and sometimes after i have used the computer for a few hours. I installed dual-screen monitors soon after i bought the computer. Recently i reformatted the computer, and this seemed to fix the problem for around 2 weeks, but now it is starting up again (i went to a computer shop and they said that there didnt seem to be any problems with the hardware).

specs are:
* GIGABYTE HD 5750
* ASUS P6T Motherboard
* Cooler Master 600W PSU
* Windows 7 Pro
* 1TB Hard drive
* 4-6 GB of RAM (cant remember exactly, havent been able to check)

My two monitors are a BENQ 22' HD LCD, and a 19' DELL LCD (which i bought around 2005). Both monitors lose signal.

hmm... cuz i know the new series of ATI cards ppl seemed to be having issues with dual monitor setups, might be fixed now though.

first thing i would try is editing the power settings... advanced settings, unless the video just cuts out as you're using the computer. if it's going into standby the video is supposed to cut out of course but if you're talking about waking it up again it could be a USB issue.

cool thanks i will look into the advanced settings. and yeh, when i try waking the computer up after its been on standby the monitors will not regain signal.

And another thing, the majority of the time when the monitors lose signal it means that i am unable to regain signal for another 2-3 hours (even if i force restart).

For example, monitors go blank after awakening the computer from standby. Even though i force restart the computer, the monitors still wont respond. If i try, say, 3 hours later, they most likely will respond.

strange... sounds more like the video card itself than the monitors though, but i suppose it could be a mix of both. like i said there have been reports of the new ATI cards being a bit quirky with dual monitor setups, but 10.3 drivers were just released so I'd also recommend giving that suite a download.

ok thanks a lot - i will try doing that as soon i as can get the computers working again :) hopefully i have some luck

just post back if you are having trouble getting video... or try running a single monitor only for now or HDMI if you can use that.

yeh, so i downloaded the new 10.3 driver, and i am only using one screen at the moment. Things were going fine until today when i allowed my computer to go to sleep. the screen wouldnt respond when i tried to awaken it, and the computer has been unusable for a couple of hours

completely unsure of what is wrong :S

if the computer becomes unresponsive after sleep, then there may be a problem in the BIOS with the "wake-up" settings. Of course if you hear the computer come back online and it's just the monitor that won't respond, it could be a problem with the video card or a power saving setting. I can't remember if there is an option to shut the video card down after a certain amount of time with Win7... but it everything should reactivate when the system comes out of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back