Monitor Shaking - urgent please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker16

Hi everyone, I'm having problem with my monitor its shaking ones every 1-5 minutes, its like going to left a little then center again. Its this an indication that i need to replace my monitor? or I need a little cleaning? co'z I never clean the interior of my monitor.

My monitor is "mVision" and its 4-5 years old.
screen resolution is 800x600 32bit
video card is gforce fx 5200 128bit 128mb.

P.S
its there a possibility that the video card driver affect this?
I can't really remember if this happen before or after I update my video card driver.

Can anyone kindly help me.
thanks in advance.

> sorry for my broken english <

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That sounds like a monitor problem to me.

The easiest way to check, is to try a different monitor and see if the problem goes away.

I don`t recommend opening your monitor, unless you know what you`re doing. There`s some fairly lethal voltages inside your monitor, that are still there even when the monitor is unplugged from the mains. You have been warned.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

this is known as video rollover.

is it a CRT, LCD, or plasma monitor....

CRT - Cathode Ray tube

this is quite common in OLD CRTs when the refresh is failing. I have never heard of it in LCD or Plasma monitors.

@tedster

its crt , anyway if I change my refresfh rate do you think it solve the problem?

@howard

I'm not testing my other monitor yet. I'm a little bc, but i update all of u guys.

@niceboy ok I will check it also. thanks

omg, I need to replace my monitor, I try my new monitor and don't see any problem. it means my old monitor is broken.

@tedster

hi! do you know what ic or parts I have to replace if the refresh rate is failing.

thanks.

Could be no more than spurious triggering (Cip cycling) of the degaussing circuit -- A trivial repair in all cases.

Otherwise the symptom likely stems from difficulties within the Horz. AFC circuitry (productive of phase 'jitter') -- again, not a major job unless, as is all too common, the offending PLL component is implemented ‘onboard’ a proprietary chip – in which case the best you can hope for is playing for a bit of time via ‘hunting’ for a ‘stabilizing' setting of the “Horz phase” potentiometer – Please note however, that depending upon the malfunction’s precise etiology said manipulation may be of no avail…

Best of luck!
Dan

PS -- Perhaps I'm merely lazy (a distinct possibility! ;) ) still, in light of the observation that quality CRT displays may be had for less than $100 (USD) and quality LCD units for less than $300, Replacement would seem the most practical solution - Especially if you are inexperienced at DIY repair of analog circuitry... Just my $.02 :)

@dan

thanks but in seem I don't know what are u saying, I'm a computer technician but not familiar in monitor :(

anyway I think the best way is to buy new monitor but it worth 3500+ here @ the philippines and don't have work yet to buy new one. :haha:

but again thanks to all of you guys ;)

Just adding one more thing for all its worth! If it is a CRT with rotary type analogue controlls for vertical/horizontal screen position then it is possible that the carbon track is worn or cracked, so try rotating the controll fully one way and back a few times, then back to centre and see if it holds steady.

of course it does not matter if you monitor has digital controlls and this would be of no help to you.

good luck

sounds like the degauss issue.... replacement is probably the best bet.

Remember you can't junk CRT's in the trash. It's illegal in most areas at they contain lead and phosphorous

don't worry im stuck that monitor here at home ;)

I don't used my new computer regularly i only used that very rarely so I exchanged there monitor :haha: although my new pc is much stronger than my old pc, I much prefer to used it!

>>>> sorry for my broken english :D <<<<

Download all the drivers you need, also perhaps reinstall the motherboard drivers from your motherboard utilities cd. Only other thing I can think of is that it is automatically degaussing which is defined as "The process of demagnetizing the CRT. Magnetic fields are used to move the electron beam across the surface of the CRT. Stray magnetic fields can cause the beam to go places it is not supposed to go. Most color sets have automatic degaussing when the set is first turned on. Utility and broadcast grade monitors offer the additional capability of being able to manually degauss the set."

Regards,

Korrupt

striker16 said:
Hi everyone, I'm having problem with my monitor its shaking ones every 1-5 minutes, its like going to left a little then center again. Its this an indication that i need to replace my monitor?
This is a VGA monitor. Low-end model and a bit old, and while I suspect it is going bad, this is not the typical manner in which it happens (usually the screen gets very dark and you must keep pumping up the brightness just to get a good picture. Then individual colors may go out (Red, Green or Blue) and/or the screen may "shimmer" rapidly like someone turned on an electrical appliance nearby.

If your screen is "jumping" to the side, the signal is shifting. This could be the monitor and/or your video card.

You said you have two PC's. Swap monitors (if you haven't already). If the problem goes away, try swaping video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back