Monitors go into Stand By and can't come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas3087

Just built a new computer, swapped my radeon 4850 out of my old dell (which never ever had problems with each other) and put it in this computer. Now my monitors go into standby at random times and the only way to bring them back is by shutting off the computer. From what I've read, this is a common problem with no clear cut solution.

What i've done: uninstalled and reinstalled latest driver; put the card back in my dell with both monitors = ran fine, no problems. Ran Furmark, I guess my card starts at about 88celsius, which is high, but should be tolerable for this card.

I don't think it's the driver or power supply (650w). I doubt it's heat, because my computer runs pretty cool (although this is possible). It's not the monitors or their chords/connectors. It's not a windows setting as everything is set to ALWAYS ON. The graphics card is not even a year old.

Any suggestions?

-Tom

Intel i3 2.93 ghz Duo core
Intel DH55tc mobo
1tb Hitachi HD 7200rpm
4gb DDR3 ram
650w power supply unit
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb DDR3
2x 17in LCD monitors
WinXP HE SP3

Update

So far, I've updated my mobo's bios. No difference, problem still there.

I increased fan speed of my GPU with Catalyst Control Center. Temp cooled down alot, but problem still there.

I ran COD:WAW with CCC open on my 2nd monitor to watch the temp. Working 99% the GPU hit 79C and the monitors went to standby. However, right before they went to standby, it sounded as if the graphics card turned off. Fans were still spinning, hard drives on, but monitors on standby.

This was never a problem in my 5yr old dell with lousy circulation.

Doesn't anyone know what this means?

I have not. In the early stages of the problem, I could see through my case a red light on the bottom (opposite side of fan) of the card. But something I did made that light stay off. I'm using the card in my 5 yr old dell right now, and absolutely no problems..... it even runs at around 83 celsius in this comp while it was in 60s on the new one, until i strained it with COD WAW and it went to 79...which still isn't bad.

don't know if this makes a difference, but on the new computer, when i power on, it gives a quick BEEP, about 4 or 5 seconds, and another quick BEEP. then it boots up fine. could this have somethin to do with it? i tried looking it up but couldn't find what 1 beep, plus 4-5 seconds silence, and a 2nd beep, mean. they're quick beeps.

turns out it was windows xp not getting along with certain hardware, my guess being the mobo. installed win7 32 bit and it all runs perfect now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back