More than half a million players have left Amazon's New World in just over a month since...

midian182

Staff member
In context: Most games see their player numbers decline in the weeks following release, but rarely in figures as large as what Amazon's New World is experiencing. The MMO has reportedly been hemorrhaging 135,000 players every week since arriving on September 28, which works out at around half a million people abandoning the game.

New World had been the number two game on Steam's most-wishlisted chart before its release. That anticipation was reflected a few days after launch when concurrent player numbers hit 913,027, but as Steamcharts' stats show, things have been declining rapidly since then.

Forbes worked out that, based on figures for each previous Sunday, the number of people playing New World simultaneously has been dropping by around 135,000 each week. The good news is that the trend does seem to be slowing, albeit only slightly: it peaked at just over 404,000 last Sunday, while the previous Sunday it was 508,000 players.

Despite the initial popularity, New World arrived to reviews that ranged from average to pretty good. PC Gamer said it was held back by abysmal PvE and a boring world, and PCGamesN criticized the humdrum and frustrating quest design. It has a user score of just 4.6 on Metacritic, while the 74% of good Steam reviews gives it a Mostly Positive rating.

In addition to finding faults within its game design, players have been complaining about New World's many bugs, including one that allowed the generation of infinite gold, prompting Amazon to shut down New World's economy controls to prevent the glitch.

We've seen several games lose a worrying number of players post-launch only for them to return once the game is patched/updated and has received extra content—No Man's Sky being the most notable example. As it's an MMO, New World will likely be a very different experience 12 months from now. Amazon will just be hoping that enough players stick around until then.

Permalink to story.

Everything I hear from people about this game is basically just very little content and truly pointless grind: game was just launched with very little to do to keep people playing.

Since they're apparently going for a free to play, pay for the expansions models my guess is that this is a game that will grow and shrink constantly with the best time to play being right after the launch of each expansion.

Since they're apparently going for a free to play, pay for the expansions models my guess is that this is a game that will grow and shrink constantly with the best time to play being right after the launch of each expansion.

This is a "full price" (well $40/40€) game not F2P.

Anyway, I think this is normal, there's not enough content in game right no in order for people to not get bored after a month.

The game needs frequent updates for people to come back, this is not a rare occurrence with these type of games nowadays.

Its also that race for the finish line attitude, so many players have already had 300+ hours in the game and reached level 60 and went that it whereas there are players like me who are just coming up to 100 hours and level 45.

Neither is wrong people play the way and with the time they have but if you have 'beaten' the game then thats it for now, makes sense.

Typical of games these days, released before they are really ready. Oh for the day when games came out complete and almost bug free at launch. But now it's just a race to release as early as possible to fill the pockets of investors even if the game is in a state. Pay some big time youtube reviewers to hype it up and then flick it.

This is a "full price" (well $40/40€) game not F2P.

Anyway, I think this is normal, there's not enough content in game right no in order for people to not get bored after a month.

The game needs frequent updates for people to come back, this is not a rare occurrence with these type of games nowadays.
Yes I meant no monthly subscriptions, basically the GTA Online model but instead of "frequent" (They were very frequent the first couple years they only abandoned the quick update schedule the last 3 years of the game or so) big updates and microtransactions it's probably going to be frequent paid updates.

The game is okay. It pales in comparison to Aion when it comes to PvP and even WoW (which I wasn't a fan of to begin with). Way too much grind for crafting is kind of the main focus of the game. Sure, you can bypass the grind to collect mats and avoid crafting, but then you rely solely on the trade system (which is kind of broken at the moment).

Gold isn't really that hard to come by so why anyone would bother duplicating gold is beyond me. As of right now I'm up to level 40 I've had very little to spend gold on, aside from a handful of gold to repair a few weapons/armor pieces. I have zero interest in spending gold on buying houses and that's about all you need it for, at least from what I've experienced.

If you like grinding stuff, come and give it a try. If you simply want an endgame experience, this is probably not what you're looking for.

Thankfully I didn't have to spend any of my money on this game since I had Amazon gift card balance that fully covered the cost of the game.

I call this game "Walking simulator" , jeez thats is costing you a lot off time. Everything is basicly the same. Grind .... Grind .... Grind....

Also the first day I had the chance to play .... played the whole day, and had fun. The next day I was starring at a screen which showed me a queue for the world which was 17k+, after 2 days people said , just switch to another world and start over or wait 2 weeks for character switch.... after this the game went downhill for me ... had to grind again to the point I thought , this is useless and boring... quited and never came back.

After 1 year this game will have collected so much dust ....

It was original built as a survival game. That was why it was missing a lot functions from MMO. Also, the game was still full of bugs, but they rushed to release it.

Its also that race for the finish line attitude, so many players have already had 300+ hours in the game and reached level 60 and went that it whereas there are players like me who are just coming up to 100 hours and level 45.

Neither is wrong people play the way and with the time they have but if you have 'beaten' the game then thats it for now, makes sense.

300 hours in one month? Does that even leave time to pee?😲

300 hours in one month? Does that even leave time to pee?😲

Funnily enough, the same people who spent countless hours playing non-stop to race to level 60 and complete all content are the same ones complaining about lack of content in the first place. I'm level 25 with about 20 hours into the game and I am enjoying the quests with some skill leveling. Skill leveling is overall easy if you have the funds in game. The issue the game has is that it is overall lacking quality testing. They rushed the release without testing all of the content which has led to unfair glitches including gold dupes which make the economy unbalanced.

I think you may see an uptick over the holidays as people may receive the game as a gift plus a lot of kids will be out of school and have more time to play.

I'm like you, just hit 34 yesterday. I haven't encountered a ton of bugs, but then again I don't PvP, and I gather that's where a lot of them are being experienced. Is it grindy? Yeah, there isn't a lot of quest variation beyond the main quest line. And the gathering/crafting mechanic is a total endless grind. I think I've mined at least a metric ton or two of iron so far. I almost do it on automatic now. But overall I'm enjoying myself and find the combat challenging. Then again, I think I'm a bit masochistic because I run bow/musket & rapier. Where's my exploits?

I'm like you, just hit 34 yesterday. I haven't encountered a ton of bugs, but then again I don't PvP, and I gather that's where a lot of them are being experienced. Is it grindy? Yeah, there isn't a lot of quest variation beyond the main quest line. And the gathering/crafting mechanic is a total endless grind. I think I've mined at least a metric ton or two of iron so far. I almost do it on automatic now. But overall I'm enjoying myself and find the combat challenging. Then again, I think I'm a bit masochistic because I run bow/musket & rapier. Where's my exploits?
You are but you do what makes the game fun for you and I think New World is quite versatile, you can play the way you want. Do dungeons , dont do dungeons, craft all the time, dont craft all the time, PVP don't PVP.
Personally I just love completing challenges, levelling up stats and crafting skills, just enjoy the little buzz from unlocking something new and getting achievements.

The reality is that PVP MMOs do not survive long. The only MMOs that survive always have strong PVE content. I play three of them, ESO, GW2, and STO.

The reality is that PVP MMOs do not survive long. The only MMOs that survive always have strong PVE content. I play three of them, ESO, GW2, and STO.
I don't know about that. CounterStrike has been around for a long while and there are many other PVP games that do OK. I think MMORPG have more issues when they don't have PVE content. Personally I like games in which I can play against others, but that also don't require massive investments in time to be able to PVP competitively. This is always the issue with MMORPG and that is, the person that can put 4-10 hours a day playing is usually going to be better equipped and skilled than someone who can put in 4-10 hours a week.

Hence why I like PVP like Overwatch (which is not MMO per se). Anyone can jump in and be good at the game from day 1. It does take some time to master the characters but no one has an advantage in gear or skills.

I don't know about that. CounterStrike has been around for a long while and there are many other PVP games that do OK. I think MMORPG have more issues when they don't have PVE content. Personally I like games in which I can play against others, but that also don't require massive investments in time to be able to PVP competitively. This is always the issue with MMORPG and that is, the person that can put 4-10 hours a day playing is usually going to be better equipped and skilled than someone who can put in 4-10 hours a week.

Hence why I like PVP like Overwatch (which is not MMO per se). Anyone can jump in and be good at the game from day 1. It does take some time to master the characters but no one has an advantage in gear or skills.
I guess you did not read what I said! CounterStrike is not an MMO.

Well not massive in terms of single game but there are still lots of CS servers up and running. Ok, how about WoW, Eve
Eve is a PVP MMO, about the only one that has survived but it is losing a lot of players. WOW is not a PVP MMO, like the other MMOs I mentioned all have some PVP but that is not their focus.

Back