Most parents don't pay attention to video games' age rating

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: If you’ve ever tried the multiplayer element of a Call of Duty game or GTA V, there’s a good chance that someone who sounds like a 12-year-old has questioned your mother’s virtue. But these titles and many like them are rated M for Mature, so how are they getting into the hands of minors? The answer is, of course, via the parents—the vast majority of whom don’t pay attention to games’ age ratings.

The unsurprising revelations come from Childcare.co.uk, an online social networking platform for parents, childcare providers and private tutors. It surveyed over 2000 parents in the UK who had children aged between five and 16. It was found that “more than half” let their kids play games meant for those aged 18 and over—all without any supervision and without having played the games themselves.

Another takeaway from the survey is that a massive 86 percent of parents simply don’t follow age restrictions for video games. But while these figures suggest most aren’t concerned by what their children play, it’s a different story when it comes to what they watch. Just 23 percent said they don’t pay attention to age ratings for movies, and only 18 percent would let their 10 to 14-year old watch an 18-rated movie.

“What’s interesting is that the majority of parents follow film age ratings, but when it comes to video games they maybe aren’t as strict,” said Childcare founder Richard Conway. “It’s important to remember how impressionable children are; if they see behavior or language in a video game or movie, they may mimic it.”

Despite allowing their kids to play these games, 43 percent of participants admitted that their child’s behavior changed after spending time with these mature titles. 62 percent said the issues apparently caused by the games justified returning them to the seller, but many were unable to do so because of their children’s objections.

Following the World Health Organization’s classification of ‘Gaming Disorder’ as a mental condition, and the story of the nine-year-old girl placed into rehab because she couldn’t stop playing Fortnite, addiction to video games has once again fallen under the spotlight. It’s something 48 percent of participants think their children might be experiencing.

It’s interesting to see that more parents are concerned about their children watching an 18-rated movie than playing a mature video game, especially as the latter gets so much negative publicity for allegedly causing mass shootings, addiction, etc. What’s your opinion on the matter? Should parents be strict with their kids when it comes to age-appropriate games, or is it unfair to stop them enjoying something many of their friends will undoubtedly be playing?

Permalink to story.

A lot of parents are just as *****ic as their kids. I am 18 and with me still living in my parent's house I still can't play GTA V or watch tv shows like breaking bad.

My mum bought my PS2 for me when I was 12 with the Getaway. Looking back now it's probably not appropriate for a 12 year old but I thought it was amazing lol.

I don't know a single person who ever gave a **** about any of these ratings and neither do I.

The main problem I see here is 'many were unable to do so because of their children’s objections'. But my son still isn't that age where I need to argue with him about age 18 games, so it's easy for me to criticise others.

Age rating in general is suspect. The original Assassin's Creed is rated M but I think is unlikely to negatively affect a 12 year old. A lot of violent games have high age ratings for violence, but really contain only cartoon violence that an 8 year old might see on TV.

In the 90s some parents actually followed those ratings. My mom was so strict she wouldn't let me watch the Simpsons for a few years. Of course I did anyways.

As a parent of a kid who likes to play video games - I do pay attention to ratings, but I pay way more attention to whether my kid could talk to anyone online and who that might be. The toxicity of humanity is worse than any animated violence - mostly because it can be personal and directed right at you.

Parents who closely monitor things like age ratings are only displaying a lack of trust in their children. No child with a remotely healthy mentality would be as negatively affected by playing a game as they would be from being treated like a fool. Having parents who distrust their kids to such an extent, that they would try to protect them from mature content, is far more likely to cause dysfunction than the most gratuitously violent, sex & curse-ridden video game.

Of course I don't expect all parents to realize this, but if your situation is such that you don't have time to spend with your kids and teach them everything you want, exposing them to a wide variety of information, in a safe environment, is their best shot at growing up to be healthy adults.

Also age ratings are arbitrary BS.

Parents who closely monitor things like age ratings are only displaying a lack of trust in their children. No child with a remotely healthy mentality would be as negatively affected by playing a game as they would be from being treated like a fool. Having parents who distrust their kids to such an extent, that they would try to protect them from mature content, is far more likely to cause dysfunction than the most gratuitously violent, sex & curse-ridden video game.

Sorry dude, that's bullshit. Not sure where you got this idea from, but I certainly hope you're not a parent.

Further proving all this age labeling crap doesn't work in the first place. Strong core moral values are what matters and even some children can handle this corrupt and violent world of media just fine as long as they have those values.

I suspect the parents are terrified that their kids would see sex in an 18 movie but assume that any violence in a computer game can't be that bad. And it usually isn't. The main problem with CoD is the toxic online players, of whom we have heard many incidents like persistent racist and sexist abuse and the many SWATting horror stories. So, whether the age limit is right or not for the game, it should be 18 purely for the online element. I'm sure the many adults that play would love to get rid of the annoying kids from the online chat. There are plenty of other good games out there that are much better for developing kids to play and would love to get the parents' money - go spend it on them instead.

There are many restrictions and regulations placed on many things that shouldn't be with the intention to "protect the kids". It's a shame that our freedoms, choices and even health are eroded due to parenting issues.

Video games are obviously a massive victim of this but things like electontic cigerattes (vaping) that have the potential to save millions of lives are also heavily effected.

If someone under the age limit is using a video game or any other kind of restricted product or service then this is the sole responsibility in parenting not regulation. Parenting should not be limited to crossing the road properly.

The biggest problem and the worst part is that unscrupulous interests use "protect the kids" as an argument to further their financial or ideological agendas. Going so far as to brain wash impressionable youth to speak out on these matters and blame them for any problems they have.

Last edited:

Of course I don't expect all parents to realize this, but if your situation is such that you don't have time to spend with your kids and teach them everything you want, exposing them to a wide variety of information, in a safe environment, is their best shot at growing up to be healthy adults.

Also age ratings are arbitrary BS.

Awww lack of trust. Poor kids. ...actually you all should be on an island...bunch of heathens. lol This world as we know it will end because of evil rising. Good job kids. It only took 20 years of unlimited internet to end humanity as we know it. (coming soon....not yet.) Jesus warned us so don't believe the lies that are coming. (Alien demons...yes they are demons and they are real.)

Back