Motorola unveils flagship Moto Z2 Force, launches August 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Motorola at a press event in New York City today announced a brand new flagship in the Moto Z2 Force. Unlike earlier models, it won't be a Verizon exclusive.

The phone features a 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED display with ShatterShield technology and like virtually every flagship this year, it’s powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor alongside Adreno 540 graphics. Also on tap is 4GB of system memory and 64GB of local flash storage that’s expandable up to 2TB via microSD card.

Other notable changes for the Z Force line include a new dual-camera setup on the rear. Both 12-megapixel sensors are of the Sony IMX 386 variety – one is for color and the other is for monochrome, much like we saw on the Huawei P10. Both feature f/2.0 aperture lenses and utilize phase detection auto focus. The front-facing 5-megapixel camera, meanwhile features an f/2.2 aperture, wide-angle (85 degrees) lens.

Motorola’s latest is quite thin at just 6.1mm and tips the scales at 143 grams. Unfortunately, that means the phone’s battery had to be slimmed down to accommodate – from a spacious 3500mAh down to just 2730mAh. The potential saving grace, however, is that Motorola’s TurboPower charging system works great and can provide hours of battery life within minutes.

The Moto Z2 Force is available to pre-order starting today and will launch on August 10. You’ll pay around $800 if purchased outright although shopping around may pay off (T-Mobile has launched a buy one, get one free offer, for example).

Permalink to story.

I swear... they're swimming upstream. Phone after phone after phone, generation after generation.

Smaller battery
Not at least an 8mp front camera
Dual cameras, but one is B&W - WTF!?!
Huge bezels
4GB of RAM

Come on... what are the bureaucrats at these companies thinking? Oh wait...

Looks promessing,

turbo change could balance the small battery, but there are connectors on the back for the MOTO mods that include a battery back. I think this could balance for the days you want light vs the days you need more juice. I.e when I go to work I have a charger ,home,desk,car no need for a huge battery. But at the beach that another story,

If they made the phone thicker it probably wouldn't have that camera bump which everyone seems to dislike and it would also allow it to have a bigger battery which is pretty small for a flagship. Other than that it's just another drop in the sea of flagship phones. This one will have near stock Android since it's Motorola so that might be good as well.

They should be making the Shatterproof display their key feature... that means a slim, high-end phone that you don't have to depend on a case for it to survive ocassional drops. The Galaxy S8 is the nicest phone you can have, but it needs a case, and the same goes for iPhones and other flagships.

Back