Motorola's Moto G Pure is a serious contender in the budget smartphone segment

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Motorola has introduced its most affordable G-series smartphone to date. At under $160, this entry-level Android handset looks to impress with a large display, a sizable battery, basic water resistance, a 3.5mm headphone jack and more. You'll have to do without some modern amenities but for the price, this looks like a very reasonable offering.

The new Moto G Pure features a 6.5-inch Max Vision HD+ display (1,600 x 720 resolution, 269 PPI) sporting a 20:9 aspect ratio and an 81 percent screen-to-body ratio that’s powered by a MediaTek Helio G25 octa-core processor alongside 3GB of RAM. The budget handset packs a lowly 32GB of onboard storage, but is expandable via microSD card.

Out back, you’ll find a dual camera system comprised of a primary 13-megapixel shooter with f/2.2 aperture and phase detection autofocus flanked by a 2-megapixel depth sensor. Up front is a single 5-megapixel camera with f/2.4 aperture.

Elsewhere, you’ll find a 3.5 mm headphone jack, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, dual microphones and a USB 2.0 Type-C port. NFC is missing, as is support for 5G, but that’s to be expected at this price point. Battery life from the 4,000mAh unit is rated for up to two full days of use, although your mileage will vary depending on usage, signal strength, temperature and other factors. It’ll ship running Android 11 out of the box.

Motorola notes that its new smartphone carries an IP52 rating, meaning it is protected against accidental spills, splashes and light rain.

The Moto G Pure is available to pre-order now from Best Buy, Walmart, B&H Photo, Amazon and Motorola priced at $159.99. Verizon will start offering the handset on October 14, with T-Mobile and Metro getting it “in the coming months.” No word yet on a firm ship date. At that price, the Moto G Pure could be a serious contender in our best budget smartphone category.

Permalink to story.

I've had a couple of Moto's over the years and I'm still buying them. They are inexpensive, very reliable, and have most of the features the big boys have .... a perfect phone for one that is retired and can't afford those $1,000 paperweights .....

I've had a moto z play, and am on a moto z3 currently.
Battery life is fantastic, near stock Android is wonderful.

I'll never buy another Moto phone again though.
Both have absolute trash cameras, and we were promised two Android revision upgrades on the moto z3 and then Moto decided to go back on that and only push one (a year after it was released) because they launched a new phone line that year and wanted users to move to that line.

I'm just getting a Pixel instead next time.

Ew. I mean, for the price it's OK, except that for $200 you can get a moto G power with a 1080p screen, stereo speakers, a 5000 MaH battery, a much faster snapdragon 665, ece.

720p on any screen over 4" is unnaceptable today.

Ew. I mean, for the price it's OK, except that for $200 you can get a moto G power with a 1080p screen, stereo speakers, a 5000 MaH battery, a much faster snapdragon 665, ece.

720p on any screen over 4" is unnaceptable today.
The Moto G Power you've noted is the 2020 model. The 2021 version has backtracked and downgraded some specs since then.

Unless you are perhaps a little older and no longer have perfect vision.
OR never had it to begin with I been in glasses since I was 6 and am basically blind in my right eye and only a bit better in the left, lol.

I can see pretty clearly what's on my phone at about 5 inches from my nose any closer and it's blurs as well as any further I have a 1 inch "zone" where things are clear and sharp.

With glasses I can see at a normal distance but not with a lot of detail for that the glasses come off and right up to the face the phone has to go...

Back