Move between Wireless Access Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say I have a Wireless router (this is connected to the internet and works fine) which has SSID of HOME and then I have an Access point that has SSID of REMOTE. The access point is connected to the router via Ethernet cabling.

Now the question, when I start up my notebook it connects to say REMOTE and all is well, but then I move away from REMOTE and closer to HOME the signal strength gets weaker, how can I make my note book move from REMOTE (SSID) to HOME (SSID) when HOME has the stronger signal, and vice versa.

Do I need bridging? and if so could someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance of any help provided

i think you're after something among the lines of "connect to the most preffered access point" list or something.. just a guess

Thanks for your reply, after doing a bit more reading, I think that the answer is to have all the Access Points (including Wireless router) use the same SSID, but different channels

Regards,

You should have the same channel for all of them.. 6 or 11 most by default. But you'll have to try which one works better for you. Remember to try the my AM Radio trick, which you would use to see where is the best place to position your wireless access points in your dwelling. Router/Access Point

AM Radio trick
Just tune to a dead station and walk around the room where you want to place the wireless device TX/RX, you should get no hum or static noise on that station. If you hear no noise then that's the place to put the wireles devices.

tipstir,

Thank you for your reply, sorry I am so late with the "thank you". As I said I did some more reading and then the setup I used was the same as below; All appears to be working fine since 27th Sept.

Same as Here

The go down to bottom of the page to:- "How do I configure multiple Access Points to expand my wireless coverage?"

Regards,

John A

tipstir said:
You should have the same channel for all of them.. 6 or 11 most by default.
Why would you want to do this for two different wireless host devices? Wouldn't this cause increased interference because both wireless devices would be stepping on each other's bandwidth toes?

I might be able to understand this though, for repeating networks, however.

ansentry said:
Lets say I have a Wireless router (this is connected to the internet and works fine) which has SSID of HOME and then I have an Access point that has SSID of REMOTE. The access point is connected to the router via Ethernet cabling.

Now the question, when I start up my notebook it connects to say REMOTE and all is well, but then I move away from REMOTE and closer to HOME the signal strength gets weaker, how can I make my note book move from REMOTE (SSID) to HOME (SSID) when HOME has the stronger signal, and vice versa.

To get any practical use, HOME and REMOTE need major separation from one another -- like 10-30 ft (3meters).
Otherwise, the signal strength of either will be very much like the other and
even if a swap occurs, there's not much benefit.

jobeard said:
To get any practical use, HOME and REMOTE need major separation from one another -- like 10-30 ft (3meters).
Otherwise, the signal strength of either will be very much like the other and
even if a swap occurs, there's not much benefit.

When I only had 1 AP (router) and the notebook was being used in the 3rd bedroom it was getting "very low" signal. What I did was put another AP in the bedroom connect it to the Router via Ethernet (The house is correctly wired with Cat 5E cable), now the notebook receives an Excellent signal.

Also the notebook user can roam between these AP's and the lowest signal is "Very Good" .

The distance between the Router/AP and the Bedroom is about 12 meters, however the house is constructed with a lot of Steel and concrete (very modern). There is also a balcony of the bedroom and before I put in the second AP the signal was either very low or nil.

When I setup the AP's I used the same SSID and AP1 channel 6 and AP2 channel 11. Used the same WEP 128 bit Shared Key. (WPK not available on another Notebook on the network).

It all appears to be working fine, I have had not complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back