Mozilla announces plans to test sponsored tiles on Firefox's new-tab page

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a few months after announcing the idea, Mozilla has said that the company will go ahead and test a plan to sell sponsored Tiles on Firefox's new-tab page.

"In the coming weeks, we’ll be landing tests on our pre-release channels to see whether we can make things like the new tab page more useful", Johnathan Nightingale, Mozilla's vice president of Firefox, wrote in a blog post.

Every time a user opens up a new tab in Firefox, the browser displays nine boxes -- or Tiles -- showing screenshots of his most visited websites. According to Darren Herman, Mozilla's vice president of content services, what Tiles display is currently based on an algorithm which combines your recency and frequency of visiting a site.

He says that the algorithm takes about a month of normal browsing behavior to update Tiles. Due to this the new-tab page is of no use for new users, and this is where the company wants to cash in.

This means that the sponsored Tiles will appear only to new Firefox users, or people who have re-installed their browser, and will be automatically replaced with content more relevant to the user after the initial 30-45 day period.

Nightingale assures that the company won't lose control and turn the browser into "a mess of logos sold to the highest bidder; without user control, without user benefit".

As of now, Mozilla's primary revenue source is Google, which pays it a part of search-ad revenue that Firefox sends to the search engine. The move could help Mozilla diversify its revenue source.

Permalink to story.

I understand that every software project has to have a source of revenue to keep them going, but if this every becomes, I.e., in other words, shows advertised content beyond the learning period, then this is where I drop firefox. I've been using them for years, however, 99.9 percent of all advertising I see delivered to me these days has virtually bearing on what I would actually buy. In fact, I am more likely to not buy something knowing that marketers attempt to make people feel weak so that those same people will rush right out and buy their products. Personally, I am tired of being pandered to by marketers, and as I see it, this will be one more step in a direction that I find completely valueless.

Its time to start building a real opensource and independent browser and operating system
lol just a dream was haha

After you've finished with your internet session do what many sensible people do, clean up with CCleaner and use an ad blocker. Marketers can't annoy you with ad's you can't see. That said I'd rather use IE instead of Firefox but I use neither.

This is terrible for distraction-prone people like myself who like to get work done. I specifically go to lengths to configure my computer and desk environment to remove as many distractions as possible. If I have to see ads for Facebook and Twitter and whatever else every time I go to open a new tab then I'll definitely be avoiding Firefox.

They have been setting a new low in usage statistics every month. This new idea should help speed it up.

Keep it up, Firefox, you are not far now from single digits, to join the IE! ;)

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Meh, I'm not too concerned about this. Who actually sees that screen? How often do people really open blank tabs? I bet most of us just right-click links and then pick "open in new tab". If it keeps FF alive long enough for sanity to reassert itself at Mozilla it will be more than worth it. Not that I'm very hopeful at this point - if not for Classic Theme Restorer I'd already be gone.

After you've finished with your internet session do what many sensible people do, clean up with CCleaner and use an ad blocker. Marketers can't annoy you with ad's you can't see. That said I'd rather use IE instead of Firefox but I use neither.

Yeah but it is to bad that ccleaner removes all your adblock extensions on google chrome.

I can't say I agree 100% though Firefox can be justified in trying to monetise themselves. More money in the pockets could mean more money for development and a better browser. Nothing wrong with that, though it would depend on how it is implemented.

To be honest I still use about:blank (without any tiles) as my homepage, much less distracting, just keep all your bookmarks in the bookmarks bar, more productive.

What has mozilla been doing with itself if it took this long to come out with tiles? How long has windows 8 been out? It's like download.com. Brother bought a win 7 computer 1 year after ie9 was out and guess what you couldn't do at download.com? You couldn't download.

Back