Mozilla shuns Google, signs five-year deal to make Yahoo the default search engine in Firefox

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mozilla firefox yahoo google search browser mozilla foundation

Mozilla’s long-running relationship with Google has come to an end. The browser maker on Wednesday announced a strategic five-year partnership with Yahoo in which the Internet pioneer’s search engine will replace Google as the default search engine in Firefox.

In a blog post on the matter, Mozilla CEO Chris Beard said Firefox users will be introduced to a new enhanced Yahoo Search experience starting in December. Yahoo Search in Firefox will feature what Beard describes as a clean, modern interface that brings the best of the web front and center.

As part of the agreement, Yahoo will also support Do Not Track (DNT) in Firefox. This in itself is an interesting move as Yahoo announced this past May that they would no longer honor Do Not Track requests.

It’s worth pointing out that Yahoo is only being pushed as the default search engine. Amazon, Bing, DuckDuckGo, eBay, Google, Twitter and Wikipedia will continue to be built-in as alternate search options.

In Russia, Yandex Search will become the default search experience while Baidu will continue to be the go-to choice in China.

Beard didn’t elaborate on why they’re making the switch to a new default provider, only noting that being non-profit allows them to make different choices. Considering Mozilla’s partnership with Google is up at the end of this month, it’s likely that Yahoo simply made a better offer for the top spot than anyone else.

Permalink to story.

As much as I hate googles changes to search algorithms the last few years, this is still annoying. Its just default option though so at least we can change it really easily...
I want to get out of firefox still though v.v

I switch Firefox to DuckDuckGo as the search engine of choice. Isn't Yahoo search really just Bing anyways?

I don't use Google search, but I would use Google before using Yahoo.
Isn't Yahoo search really just Bing anyways?
IMO, it doesn't matter because I walked away from anything Yahoo many years ago never to look back.

With that said I will be watching for Yahoo ratings to increase, as people use the default search engine in their browser. That is never knowing or caring that they can actually change it.

With that said I will be watching for Yahoo ratings to increase, as people use the default search engine in their browser. That is never knowing or caring that they can actually change it.

I'm not so sure about your point, normally people do the www.google.com to then commit a search on www.bankofsomething.com and then clicking the link.

End users tend to not use the integrated search engine, they probably don't even know it's there.

Bad choices after bad choices. How long until I find an alternative to Firefox 28? And no I don't want to use chrome and have tried many browsers.

With all the trouble Yahoo has been in, lately, they must've offered something extremely good.

OK, this is much ago about nothing. Firefox is out from Google's thumb. This is a good thing.

To the right of the search bar, there is a fly out menu with EIGHT (8), choices of search engines. AFAIK, the one you choose becomes the default, until you close the browser.

Quit crying, but more importantly, quit over thinking this.

Yahoo does indeed suck. This is hardly news. I've been ignoring my Verizon Yahoo home page going on ten years. Sometimes it takes a day for me to receive my notifications from TS via Yahoo Mail. That sucks too. Soooo, I just keep TS open in my browser. Problem solved.

FWIW, Yahoo has an, "entertainment news" program called, "The Insider", (CBS after the Saturday night reruns @ about 1:30AM Sunday). That sucks big time too.

More like Mozilla had an opinion that Google didn't like, or else Chrome wouldn't have been born! Now neither of them agree with the other.

Mozilla doesn't loose anything by not using Google as it's default search engine, on the other hand Google, fill the gap.

Well sad that they made an agreement with Yahoo on one hand, they could've left the option as a first run setting and it would be done. On another thought this couldn't be less of an impact as everyone else is screaming and running with their arms up high.

Back