MPAA reveals it was responsible for shutting down PopcornTime.io and torrent site YTS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) has claimed responsibility for the recent shutdown of the main Popcorn Time fork, PopcornTime.io, and torrent site YTS.

If you recall, PopcornTime.io shut down late last month due to what was widely reported as internal conflicts between core developers, fear that an upcoming paid service could land them in legal trouble and various hosting issues.

The MPAA, however, has now come forward with news that several of its member studios filed a lawsuit in the Federal Court of Canada on October 9. A week later, they obtained an injunction to shut the service down. As The Hollywood Reporter notes, the statement of claim was under seal until today.

MPAA chairman and CEO Chris Dodd said Popcorn Time and YTS are illegal platforms that exist for one clear reason: to distribute stolen copies of the latest motion picture and television shows without compensating the people who worked so hard to make them.

By shutting down these illegal commercial enterprises, which operate on a massive global scale, Dodd said they are protecting not only their members’ creative work and the hundreds of innovative, legal digital distribution platforms, but also the millions of people whose jobs depend on a vibrant motion picture and television industry.

The MPAA further revealed that a lawsuit was filed on October 12 in the High Court of New Zealand against the operator of popular torrent site YTS. An injunction was also granted in that case, the MPAA said. YTS went offline two weeks ago.

Permalink to story.

I figured for them to go down it had to be someone with a lot of money. Still, the MPAA is learning. New streaming services with reasonable prices are starting, though they should still be cheaper. My main issue is that I pay $12 for theatre ticket, then another $20 for blu-ray later if I want. I already paid once. Oh, and while I understand that the guys behind the scenes often make average salaries, it doesn't help when I see the main actor/actress gets $40 million. Maybe the MPAA should rein in some spending and better distribute the money so they can lower prices?

Either way, as goes pirating - they just created two vacuums soon to be filled with others looking for a name.

Since when did the court give the MPAA the right to carry out the injunction? Reading the injunction document, I don't see anything about allowing the plaintiff to unlawfully consume the defendants computer resources. According to the injunction, they are only allowed to take control of the domain.

They should have notified the court that popcorn time had violated the injunction and then waited for the authorities to take appropriate action.

Since when did the court give the MPAA the right to carry out the injunction? Reading the injunction document, I don't see anything about allowing the plaintiff to unlawfully consume the defendants computer resources. According to the injunction, they are only allowed to take control of the domain.

They should have notified the court that popcorn time had violated the injunction and then waited for the authorities to take appropriate action.
The MPAA = God in the eyes of politicians. The s*** they get away with...well...I'd go to jail for a long time if it was me doing it on my own. Been following their shenanigans on torrent-freak for years now, and each time I can't fathom how the people in my state elected that ***** Dodd for years just to get him a nice wonderful cushy job in Hollywood.

The MPAA = God in the eyes of politicians. The s*** they get away with...well...I'd go to jail for a long time if it was me doing it on my own. Been following their shenanigans on torrent-freak for years now, and each time I can't fathom how the people in my state elected that ***** Dodd for years just to get him a nice wonderful cushy job in Hollywood.

I don't want to get too deep into politics, so all I'll say is that the loosening of campaign contributions and political money in general in the United States is of great concern. Political corruption was already high and it seems to be reaching new levels.

Same Sh*t different year. YTS maybe have been shut down but it isn't the first time it was shut down and I am sure you will see it back up soon and even more popular than before due to the massive amount of publicity MPAA give it...

Back