MS Flight Sim 2020

Hi Peter F here, new to your site. I have a question for those in the know. I'm looking to get a new pc, the one I have seen so far is the following: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F processor 8GB 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA Hard Drive ( from Dell)
I would like to run MS flight Sim 2020, 2 databases, 2 monitors, I have loads of digi photos to get added to one of the D/B's.
What do you reckon?
I live in hope
Regards Bud621

If the Dell PC doesn't have a separate graphics card, then it won't run MS Flight Sim 2020 at all - the rest of the components meet the minimum requirements okay, but more and faster RAM will make a big difference to that game and your other requirements, especially if your databases are very large.

Hi Neeyik
Thanks for your reply. I will look up the spec again and see what GPU is included.
While I'm at it I will see if memory can up upgraded.
MT
Bud621

F model means it needs discrete graphics so that machine has to have one. The big question is: What does it have? Since that CPU is under $200 I would say nothing too fancy.

I'm pretty sure that cpu is locked to ram @ 2666Mhz:

Look here:

You would do better with a Ryzen 5 3600 rig (or 5600x if you can get one) or a Intel 10600K. You want a lot of video card for MS Flight Sim. RTX 1660 Super is a very good card for the money but you might want to aim higher like a RTX 2060 Super or ideally a RTX 2070 Super. MS Flight Sim is well known for needing the best single thread performance a CPU can give and unfortunately that is gong to hurt. It's one of the most demanding games and we can only hope for more optimization down the road.

Hi Kshipper
Thanks for your reply. I have found another Dell machine, same spec as above but with this GPU NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 SUPER™ 4GB GDDR6, how would this fair against 2020 F/S?
Perhaps I should turn the main question on it's head and say, for £1000, what would anyone recomend to run the following: MS flight Sim 2020, 2 databases, 2 monitors, I have loads of digi photos to get added to one of the D/B's.
Thoughts?
MTIA
Bud621

£1000 is quite a tight budget for your requirements, mostly due to the demands of Flight Sim 2020. For example, Scan is selling the following for £770:

Not suggesting that this is an okay machine or should be considered, but the overall specs will be enough to play FS2020 at medium quality settings and 1080p resolution.

However, that price doesn't include any monitors at all, and given that you want two of them, you're looking at £115 per monitor - which just isn't enough for decent ones. And if you're working with large databases and a lot of digital media, then a single 1 TB HDD isn't going to cut it.

Neeyik nailed it and he seems to be in your area and he knows the local retailers in your area. I'm in Canada and I run a computer shop. That GTX 1650 is the card I go to when people have a low budget but want to get into gaming. It is my best seller (no joke). It's not as great as the 1660 Super but it is less money.

I am sad for you because you have so many needs and no budget to achieve them. I suggest you grab that unit that Neeyik linked and add extra items as you can afford since the Ryzen 5 3600 is a great CPU to start with.

It would be remiss to not point out that, if your budget is tight and if you can wait, you will do much better in 90 days or so. Covid shutdowns have tightened supplies and raised prices. When the demand eases a bit, prices on GPUs especially will drop dramatically.

MSFS2020 is the new Crysis. Unfortunately, no budget-friendly card is going to help it run even at an acceptable framerate with any respectable graphic setting.

Even the best available graphic card currently can't run it above 60fps constantly at higher settings even at 1080p.

At 4K, the game totally destroys even the best card available today. None is up to it, as of now.

Not to discourage, but just to keep in mind.

A game like MS Flight Simulator 2020, in my humble opinion should be played at least in Ultra Settings at 1080p, which even my Radeon RX 5700XT can't handle it.

I think to play this game at 4K with Ultra Settings @ constant 60fps minimum (99th percentile), which is my ultimate aim, will take another 2 or 3 generations more when it comes to graphic cards prowess required to run at such specs.

If only aiming for Low or Medium settings at 1080p, then I guess any modest card will suffice, provided the CPU is good enough. But at least a RTX2060 Super or RX 5700 should be considered for this.

Back