MSI 645v Ultra and AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal, I started out with my trusty ATI Radeon 9550 with MSI 645 Ultra MoBo, 1Gig Ram , Celeron 2.4

I decide it's not quite enough for Oblivion so I upgrade to an ATI X1600 Pro , I unistall the old card and drivers just like a good little boy and install the new card a drivers. Upon reboot, after bios, windows loads then black, nothing.

I decide to reformat and start fresh after a few uncomfortable hours and still nothing. I upgrade bios, AGP drivers for MoBo and get latest drivers for ATI Card, nothing still, safe mode is fine, VGA Mode is fine, just booting into windows normally, once those drivers are called, blackness and an eventual reboot.

I call ATI and after 6hours of doing all of this over again, they tell me to go get a new card. I did with no lo=uck, same exact thing. I decided to jump the fence and install a BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC, and guesswhat. SAme thing. I swear I did get a over frequency message on my CRT at one point but could not duplicate. I called BFG and they eventually told me the same thing, go get a new card

at this pint I have to think it's osmething with the MoBo, anybody have a clue? I really dont want to have to replace the MoBo as it is only a few weeks old and the first one I got was dead anyway........ puke:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Does the card require a separate power connection from the psu?

Also, is your psu capable of running your new card?

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator. Add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you, as a safety margin.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Does the card require a separate power connection from the psu?

Also, is your psu capable of running your new card?

Take a look at this PSU wattage calculator. Add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you, as a safety margin.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

the 9559 reqires no external power source but the other two cards did. I'm running a 550Watt P/S

Take a look in this directory and see if you have any minidumps. C:\windows\minidump

If you have, Zip 5 or 6 of the latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Take a look in this directory and see if you have any minidumps. C:\windows\minidump

If you have, Zip 5 or 6 of the latest minidumps together and attach them here.

here we go...

All your minidumps crash at ati2mtag.sys. This is your video card driver. They all have a bugcheck of EA.

This is either a driver problem or a video card problem.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

First thing to try is, download the driver cleaner programme from HERE.

Follow the instruction carefully. See if that helps.

howard_hopkinso said:
All your minidumps crash at ati2mtag.sys. This is your video card driver. They all have a bugcheck of EA.

This is either a driver problem or a video card problem.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

First thing to try is, download the driver cleaner programme from HERE.

Follow the instruction carefully. See if that helps.

actually, this describes exactly what is happening... I have used that specific driver cleaner already, BFG actually had me use it a couple times, however, it still didn't fix the problem...

what I was thinking for a while was that the new refresh rate set by the new drivers was too high for either my CRT or DVI Flat Panel to display but, I'm just guessing at this point...

Well, I suppose it`s possible you`ve had 2 bad video cards.

I must admit, I`m kind of out of ideas on this.

Is it possible for you to test the video card on another system?

I hope it`s not your mobo.

howard_hopkinso said:
Well, I suppose it`s possible you`ve had 2 bad video cards.

I must admit, I`m kind of out of ideas on this.

Is it possible for you to test the video card on another system?

I hope it`s not your mobo.

unfortunately I don't have another system to test this card on and it's the third card so far. Two ATI 1600 Pro's and the latest one GeForce 7800 GS OC

I jsut can't think of anything else that shoudl be causing this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back