MSI 785GM-E51 Ethernet controller driver

Atham

Hello,

I have made a clean install on my brother's PC and took his ethernet card and put it into my PC. I tried installing the drivers provided at MSI, but nothing happened.

I don't know what the ethernet card is called nor the brand.

Thanks in advance.

So to be clear, you tried drivers from your motherboard website for a ethernet card not made by them?

And you in fact have no idea who made it, or its model number, or anything to identify it?

Everest, or similar "might" find it, but I'm not sure if it will identify a ethernet controller that isn't recognised by the OS or not.

If you look in Device Manager do you see any devices with yellow icons? Especially look under both "Network" and if there's an "Other" category. (If windows detects a device but can't find its driver it usually lists it under "Other" because it's not sure what it is)

Also List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

I didn't look in depth at the card it self. I will look at it tomorrow and see what I can find out. I tried Speccy. I forgot about everest. I will give that a try.

BTW, the card used to work on my brother's PC which had windows 7 32 bit. He doesn't have sound, need to find a solution to that too.

Didn't see what you wrote lookinaround. I will give that a try

This is from everest:

Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller [NoDB]
Bus / Device / Function 32 / 1 / 1
Device ID 10EC-8168
Subsystem ID 1462-7596
Device Class 0200 (Ethernet Controller)
Revision 03

Network Controller PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_68341462&REV_01\4&2966AB86&0&30A4 The drivers for this device are not installed.
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter ROOT\NET\0001 This device is disabled.

Here's a debug tip: Windows doesn't need drivers to detect plug and play hardware. (in fact, that's fundamental to how plug and play works in the first place!) Windows needs the driver to USE the hardware, not detect it. Windows first detects the hardware and THEN tries to find a driver so it can use it

So if you have device problem, start in Device Manager to see if it's detected. I'm guessing (based on your Problem Device report) you'll see an Other device category with a "Network Controller" listed. So we know the hardware is at least being detected!
Network Controller PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0201&SUBSYS_68341462&REV_01\4&2966AB86&0&30A4 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Hmm... hang on.. hang on....

I looked further and that "Network Controller" device reported looks like it's your wireless card that's being detected. It's not the Ethernet controller.

Generate and attach a DirectX report. (It will list all the PCI devices that your computer detects. I can see if the Ethernet controller is listed or not)
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re on a 32bit computer, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re on a 64bit computer, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag appear. Click it to launch dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

/* EDIT */
Tho your Everest report would indicate the ethernet controllers there :confused: But still, let's see what DirectX has to say...

DXdiag

Here is the dxdiag file.

Hopefully we will get this working. I don't want to buy a new adapter.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    22.1 KB · Views: 8
I have tried installing a number of ethernet drivers for windows 7 but nothing is working.

In the attachments there is an image of what popped up when I installed the drivers for windows 7.

Attachments

• PCI ethernet.png
    PCI ethernet.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 3
I went back to re-read the thread and there's definitely some confusion here (above and beyond any driver issues). We need to get some terminology and hardware facts clear i think

Tell me if this is correct / you agree

1. You have an MSI 785GM-E51. I checked and, yes, it has an onboard Realtek ethernet controller. (that's what you saw reported in everest)
2. But you say you added a board from your brother's computer???!
> I think that board is a WIRELESS network card, it's NOT an ethernet controller. Ethernet cards have an RJ45 jack for the network cable. That board doesn't connect to your LAN with a cable, does it??
> You probably only find one RJ45 jack and that will be for the Realtek onboard ethernet controller!

3. You are having problems with the onboard Realtek ethernet controller on your motherboard. This is a separate issue (and different hardware) then the wireless card you added from your brother's computer

Let's just talk about the Realtek controller for the moment. The Realtek is detected by Windows and appears in dxdiag, but dxdiag doesn't report any driver files installed for it. (if you look in your dxdiag's System Devices section, you'll see...
Code:
     Name: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_75961462&REV_03\4&206601F1&0&0028
   Driver: n/a
1. Open Device Manager. Look for Realtek under Network devices (or it may be under Other devices). Right click Properties, look on the General tab. Wjhat is Driver Status code?
2. Look in Add/Remove Programs. If Realtek network is installed, uninstall it
3. Go the MSI website for MSI 785GM-E51 First, reinstall the system chipset drivers. Then reinstall the Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers

btw... i don't really know anything about "Virtual Box" or what this entry is in your Problem Device report (other then i see you have it disabled)
Code:
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter ROOT\NET\0001 This device is disabled.
But if installation problems continue to persist, i'd recommend you uninstall virtual box so we know it's not somehow interfering since its device name implies virtual box software somehow relates to your ethernet adapter

Back