MSI intros 16" Tigris-based CR610 notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

MSI has introduced the CR610, a new 16" laptop built on AMD's upcoming Tigris platform. The machine seems fitting for standard multimedia use, and features a LED-backlit 1366 x 768 HD display, an AMD Athlon II CPU and RS880 chipset with Radeon HD 4200 graphics, up to 4GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM, a choice of 250GB, 320GB and 500GB HDDs, and a DVD burner.

Other specifications include Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, optional Bluetooth connectivity, a 1.3 mega-pixel webcam, an Express Card slot, a four-in-one memory card reader, three USB 2.0 ports, one eSATA port, VGA- and HDMI-out, the usual headphone and mic jacks, and a six-cell battery. The MSI CR610 measures 374 x 247 x 18-30mm -- about 20% thinner than traditional 16" notebooks according to MSI -- and weighs 2.48kg or 5.46lbs.

Naturally, the CR610 will ship with Windows 7, but no details on a price or availability have been announced.

Permalink to story.

Sounds nice except for the 1366 x 768 resolution. I really want a little more in a 16" laptop.

There are 2 kinds of laptops I would find useful. A 10 to 13 inch with the given 1366 x 768 display and a 17 inch version of this with a wuxga display. Laptops should have the following features:
- light weight
- gigabit ethernet
- wireless n
- long battery life (at least something reasonable say 4hr+)
- optional high resolution screen (pixel resolution depends on screen size)

This laptop ticks most boxes, if it gets an optional full HD screen (1920 x 1200) then I would give it the thumbs up as something I would investigate further. For some reason laptops with gigabit, hi-res screen and light weight for size is hard to find at a good price. In Australia they usually start at just under $2000. For me I don't need a high end graphics card, so long as it will play my HD home videos.

I notice it is meant to ship with a hardware decoder chip for playback of HD content, so why not give it a full hd screen resolution?

1366 x 768 on a 16 inch screen is ridiculous. There has got to be at least a 1920x1080 option on a screen that size.

A good multimedia laptop, just in time for the shopping season, I hope it gets to a nearby store, as I would love to check this out and buy it, if I like it....

But I don't know why everyone is so hyped about not having high resolution... I usually use my laptop with external display and keyboard/mice when at home and on the move I have never needed higher resolution.

I agree 1366 x 768 resolution should be at least 1920x1080 on a screen that size.
Like ken777 said.
Everything today is about improving resolution.
Why would you buy something going in the wrong direction.
I’m sure MSI wants to get in on the price war with Acer and HP.
But putting low end models out is not going to do it for me.

I'm interested to see what the new AMD platform will bring , as many said this laptop could have used a higher res as the Tigris supports HD just fine . As for the battery life it is expected to be more efficient with Tigris as the chips are ultra low voltage .. I can only wonder how good it will play Crysis <-[chuckle]

Thats looks like a nice laptop but whats up with the resolution? Plus iv never heard of MSI i must be living in a box. it says no price yet but im guessing $700, 800 area?

I've never owned an MSI laptop before, but I might someday. These do not look too bad, but their availability in Canada is no too good.

The 720p resolution caters to the 'general populace'.

Sure, all of us enthusiasts have been using very high resolutions for a long time now, but ma and pa have been using the usual 800x600 since the 90s and even little sis have been using WXGA on a 19" LCD for some time now...

People don't know what they are missing. Also, there are people who are far sighted etc.. (1 out of every 4 people need glasses) and while most people here disagree with 720p on a 16" (I know I sure do!), it's probably the most universally 'acceptable' resolution among their expected audience.

Let's see what will be the price. It could be a good choice to replace a old desktop by a new laptop with Windows 7 for people who do not really need a very high resolution.
The specs are really nice and I hope the price will be too.
So if the price is arround $500 why not ?
Wait and see...

1366x768 is ok for a multimedia oriented notebook like this... is about the same pixel density lixe on a 20' 1680x1050 display. you can play, you can watch movies at a full 720p resolution (with the nice help from AMD/ATI chipset), the internet browsing must be fine (the vast majority of web sites are optimised for resolutions upto 1280x960. If you want hardcore office use, or something like that, there are a lot of options out there.... This notebook is intended like a cheap good 4 all machine for home use.

looks decent but amd still cannot compete with intel in the mobile market. At least it's trying. Now with nehalem is going to be moving toward mobile platform, it would be even harder for amd to catch up. personally, I do not like laptop that's bigger than 15'' because it's just way too big to lug around.

I do question the need for a 16" laptop. If I needed a laptop larger than 15", I would go 17" or 18.4" with a top notch graphics card.

I echo the comments made here. 16" seems like too much of a screen size for such a strange resolution. But 720p seems fine for everyday use.

From TechSpot's earlier article on the Tigris platform:
According to an AMD spokesperson, Tigris delivers "fast, responsive performance on Windows 7" with HD audio and video on a 17" display. It supports full 1080p HD playback, DX10.1 graphics, encompasses AMD's 45nm Stars core, and offers up to 42% more performance when using digital media software, with 25% more battery life than previous AMD mobile platforms.

So, why would you settle for 16" and 720p video when the platform can do much better. I think this is just a waste of resources.
If it would've had a 12" or 13" screen it would have entered the ultraportable area and then it would have made sense, but not like this.

I'm a big fan of MSI products, but this laptop doesn't really impress me at all. I'd like to see like others mentioned higher resolution. It all depends on what they put on the price tag though, but personally i don't think that its going to be much of a deal at all. Better options out there unless this thing has a great price tag.

Low resolution? This laptop has more than enough resolution for me as that's the same thing I have in this Dell laptop I'm using now. The LED backlit screen is totally awesome (in my Dell) and I'm sure this one will be just as bright. I can read web pages in full daylight albeit not with the light coming from behind me since the screen is of the glossy type.

I do agree with fida1989 that an Nvidia chip would make it much the sweeter. ... I do miss my Nvidia chipset in my Dell Studio 1555 with only a built-in Intel. Some games lag a bit even at 2.1gHz core2duo w/4GB RAM.

This MSI having GB ethernet, bluetooth and eSata are also fantastic to have. I very much miss my bluetooth on this Dell.

kudos MSI for an excellent looking system.

Tigris seems like a decent performing platform. Tigris and Tegra sound way too much alike! Whichever came up with their name last, should have thought about it a little more.

this is a mainsteam multimedia laptop, it can play blu-ray 1080p out the HDMI, so it doesnt matter what screen it has bultin, the HDMI port can even output DVI when using a HDMI>DVI adapter

the ATi Radeon HD 4200 graphics chip can decode all blu-ray codecs and resolution it even supports dual 1080p video steams and picture-in-picture

CR610 laptop has a Athlon II based cpu, a chipset based on desktop 785G and has ATI Radeon HD 4200 IGP graphics built into the chipset, that makes roadkill out of any intel IGP

it has ralink 11n, eSATA, ExpressCard and Card Reader, and the price is around 436 euro

battery life is around 2,5-3 hours depending on your startup programs, antivirus, flash/video playback and your usage pattern

given the fact i have this laptop and i like it, the performance of the M300 2ghz cpu is around a desktop Athlon 64 X2 5000+ at 2.6ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back