My computer lags extremely when playing only certain games

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has a serious lag issue, I did multiple virus scans and I've defragged once since the issue began (yesterday actually). This did not help the issue though.
I attempt to play one of 3 or 4 games that have the issue, and my computer starts them up, and then seems to hiccup and lag my video and mouse all at the same time, and it does this every 2-3 seconds.
This namely didn't make sense to me because the games this is occurring on are Starcraft, Diablo II, and Warcraft III. Yet I can play Sins of a Solar Empire, Black and White II, Assasin's Creed, World of Warcraft as well as many other games lag free. Is there any reason it is only happening on these games? And is there a fix for it?
I also reinstalled XP on the primary partition because of the issue, and it did nothing. The system is not overheating, and I have all my needed and correct drivers. (I didn't get any new hardware in the past month or so).

Have these games ever worked ok on your system?
Or has this just happened recently?

If they have worked before
Then first run CCleaner (to clean up all the temp junk stuff, taking up room - and resource)

Update your graphics card drivers from your manufacture website
And also run a Memtest scan on your installed Ram.

If they have never worked before
Do you have the minimum required specs of hardware (actually Minimum is always too low)
Have you installed the most up to date DirectX drivers
Have you tried re-installing the games

Also be aware that there are many updates happening all the time on Windows computers, including Java; Security Updates; Antivirus and many others
Therefore your system is always changeing over time.

Just for interest though, what AntiVirus software do you use?

One last thought
It may have been better to post this in the Gaming and Consoles forum, the members there have a better understanding of why some games don't work.

Gonna try them...

First of all, i do have all the min requirements actually, i have 1g duel channel memory, a 2.20 gig amd 64bit (Only running a 32 bit system) processor. I just literally got done installing a fresh XP install (Games are all on a separate drive, they all work without registering, but Diablo2 i reinstalled twice to be sure it wasn't that.)

If you have a reply to this let me know, if not, ill goto the said forum, Thanks.

P.S: Downloading those things now, just to be sure...

Yes

Make sure that you have completed all your updated drivers online (from your manufactures support website)

Yes, I recently purchased Quake 1 from Steam, and it lags and delays all over the place. I thought it strange because my comp runs Doom 3 fine. So why should it have a hard time running something as old as the original Quake? (the greatest game of all time)

Having 60Gig of games installed, I have found that some games just don't well with my hardware, some type of conflict (midtown madness was the first one I ever noticed that had a conflict)

For older games that were first published before Windows XP was released, try changing the compatibility mode. I already posted this answer with a little more detailed explanation in Naurox's post in the Gaming forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back