My emachine T2682 is dead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an emachine T2682 that is 2 ½ years old and is completely dead. When I press the power button, nothing happens. No lights, no fan, no noises of any kind. From what I’ve read on this site and others, I’m guessing it’s the power supply and motherboard, but is it worth fixing?

It is no longer under warranty, so I would not want to waste the time or money sending it back to emachines for repair. Unfortunately, I would not be able to replace them myself. I should be able to find someone local to fix it, but is it worth the investment?

Hard to say. If all you do is browse the internet/email etc., then the specs of your system are still good enough to serve you well. Power supplies are quite cheap these days (you can get a high quality one for $40 for example) and easy to replace.

But if you are going to pay someone to do it for you, then that price easily jumps up to $100, and the problem may very well also be a dead motherboard.

How is your savings account doing? If you are thinking of getting a new computer sometime soon anyways, it sounds like now may be the right timing.

If you are on a tight budget, then bite the bullet and bring it into the shop. I'd pay them to simply do a diagnostic and find out if it is the power supply, or the PSU or both, then make your decision based on that.

A 2.6Ghz celeron and 256mb of ram is all you need for internet browsing, and your system (in that regard) is far from being out of date.

On the other hand, if you play any games.... now that's a WHOLE other thing ;)

That's my two yen.

Since I mostly use it to surf and send emails, I'm going to take in to a shop to have it tested and go from there. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate the response.

emachine t2682 motherboard/power supply

I chatted with emachine about the motherboard issue and they are no help. I wonder if a lot of folks have the same problem and it could be something that is considered class action. I've got 2 machines from different folks with the same problem as you. It seems something is not made very well. I don't know if this forum can help get the word out or not and how to elevate this issue.
Thanks,
Henry

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The thing that`s not made very well is the PSU. This has a tendency to blow and take the mobo and other parts with it.

See HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Here's a good option

look at the board in your computer. If it's an Intel D845GVSR, you could find an Asus P4B533-VM baord. You restore CDs will probably work with this board b/c it has similar h/w of the intel baord. I was sucessfully able to use the restore CDs to an emachinwe w2888 with the Asus Board. I was just experimenting and it worked. XP home installed smoothly. If you can find this board on somewhere like ebay, you could save some $ by not having to buy a new copy of windows from Micro$oft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back