My hdd is missing 30GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

momalyd

hi i was wondering if some one could help me? i have a 160GB maxtor 6y160l0 HDD. i have 2 partions c: 143GB and d: 10GB. in the c: drive properties it says that 130GB of the space is full, but according to all the folders in the c: only add up too 107GB.

i have all show all files and folders on, and show system files.

i have xp sp2 fully updated and installed on d: (if thats any help)

i had a similar problem with a previous xp installation, when i originally formatted the hdd it was missing 30GB, it would be read as a 130GB hdd before and after xp installation. but i have done several fresh installs since then and it has always been read as 160GB since.

if anyone has any suggestions i would be grateful for the help.

oh and since i installed the os on the smaller d: partion all the xp install folders are still on c: could this be the problem?

i also heard some one mentioned something about 0k files on a similar tread could somebody elaborate on this?

Well, I don't know the numbers exactly, but the filesystem has quite a bit of overhead itself. Things like the MFT for NTFS can be pretty large. Not sure if that accounts for 30GB though, but it won't show up when you right click on your folders.

I had a similiar problem
had a problem with vegas sucking up virtual memory
check this area
I dont setup the drive the way you have it mine is about backwards from yours
OS installed on 10 gb drive after that PM'ed for 10gb /30/30
and so on for diff OS's and apps
I do have 7 hard drives ,it can get confusing

i finally found my missing space, there was the guts of 30GB of files traped in the RECYCLER folder that was write protected ---- problem solved,

thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back