My laptop screen goes black at random

Emily Lee

I have an Asus laptop that is almost brand new but without warning the screen will go black. When I restart it, Windows doesn't recover from a serious error or anything. I've checked the battery and that isn't the problem. I've run virus scans and they turn up nothing and I have no other issues with the computer. Thanks in advance guys. Let me know what I have to do.

I'll be opening a program or just sitting back and it'll go black like it's going to screen saver, then the computer completely shuts off and I have to reboot. It's not dim, it's black. I have not dropped it and it is nearly brand new.

Since your laptop goes black randomly, there can be two reasons: (1) incompatible display driver software , or (2) a failing backlight, which means a hardware issue.

Connect your laptop to an external monitor and check if the screen there goes blank randomly as well. If so, then it's clearly an OS issue. But if it doesn't then it's a backlight problem.

Hi, If the laptop is always ok for say 20 mins, than the problem happens (sometimes) then it could be overheating. Can the air get through the vents at the side and back of the laptop? Is the problem the same when the laptop is used on a table? (So the airflow is not blocked.)

The laptop is sitting on a laptop cooling pad and it is never getting hot. The problem only happens when the computer sits without input for 5-10 minutes, then it'll go black and shut down even though the battery settings don't tell it to do that. Is there a way to check if my display drivers are incompatible with the software? If it were a failing backlight, I would assume that the screen would dim or there would be more problems than this and I don't have an external monitor to use at the moment. Let me know. Thanks guys.

Hmmm well as it only does it after 10 15 min every time I would say it must be hibernation mode or sleep mode the pc im on now does it after 15 min it goes in to like hibernation sleep. where I cant hear fan or anything I think I remember u saying u looked into it try looking again in control panel look at hibernation sleep battery power etc

Hi, Any chance that you have an unusual screensaver installed, so that when it cuts in, the graphic mode it needs to run isn't available, (in this case with the current video card & driver), so it shuts down the laptop ?

Hi, Any chance that you have an unusual screensaver installed, so that when it cuts in, the graphic mode it needs to run isn't available, (in this case with the current video card & driver), so it shuts down the laptop ?
I was thinking the same something like aqua on windows 7 I know few people had problems with that

Back