My laptop suddenly shuts down

hello techspot community!

My wife was playing Tetris battle on facebook, that time I was watching her playing tetris battle then suddenly my laptop shuts down. That incident happened twice. But it didn't happened when I was playing NBA2k12 earlier that day. And when I tried to turn it on again, at first try it did not power up so i took the battery out and put it again then it turns on. What happend to my laptop? could this be overheat? But I have a cooling pad with two fan. pls help me. I'm not the techie type, me just a gamer so pls I need help. It's an Intel core i3, ATI mobility radeon 5470, 4GB RAM.

Helpful to know brand, model, components installed, and age. You could be a victim of low quality or end of life of a component, or too much dirt, dust and grime on a component...
Check your power jack first. That little hole where you plug in your power adapter is becoming one of the failures we see most often. The power jack soldering cracks or breaks with age or use, and then you get hard to diagnose intermittent failures.
Good luck. Please let us know, when you figger it out.

hey thanks for the help man. the incident before is not happening to me right now, hoping it will last. I think its a virus and overheating maybe. because I noticed that my internet connection was also blocked, then when I went to the control panel I noticed an application that I dont know how it gets there, so I uninstall it. then after that everything went fine, my connection is back, and my computer is working fine. I already check the power jack man, I think its fine but still Im gonna take it to my technician so he can check it up. Again many thanks to you guys. this forum is a big help for a caveman like me :).

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a new laptop. So what it will be? I want an ASUS. do you think its good? or do you have something you can recommend.

Thanks for the update. We often do not know what the final report was.

ASUS are better than most... we all have a different favorites on this forum... Mine are the Lenovo T-series, and some of the HP Inspiron series with the long warranties. A long warranty is the best clue as to long-term durability. Also like Samsung. Avoid Alienware, eMachines, and anything too inexpensive if you can avoid them... if you want long term reliability.
You have to remember that we are biased by default, because so many of us repair them for a living... and we only see the bad ones.

So you are saying ASUS is a good choice right man? Do you know anything about MSI? Some of my friends recommend that brand to me. Do you know something about that brand man?

Raybay man. Again my laptop shuts down. And guess what. My wife is playing tetris battle on Facebook again. I spent the whole day playing assassins creed and nba2k12 but that duration of time nothing happened to my laptop. I turn off my laptop for about 5 hours and get back to browse the net still its working fine. And then my wife decided to play tetris battle again then boooom! It shuts down. WTF is happening man? If tetris battle is the one causing the problem I still can not believe it man.

MSI makes great components, but we have yet to see ANY MSI laptops in our repair shops... so they are scarce around Utah, Arizona, Northern Mexico, and New Mexico... or I just haven't had an opportunity to see or work on one.
MSI makes more than its share of cheap low cost components, but I have always found MSI to sell quality stuff of a variety of grades and speeds.
Were it me, I would get a name brand that can offer you warranty work if you move to a different location. Laptops fail, always, sooner or later. There are too many miniature parts, too much heat, too much banging around, so I would always want mine to be serviceable no matter where I was at the time... and know that parts were always available.
On your current problem, get a friendly tech to look at it. It sound fixable... could be spyware, a software glitch, a failed or failing component such as a memory module or hard drive, or something minor that could only take 15 minutes to fix or repair.
Good luck.

raybay how are you!. I've got an issue man. again it happened. this time Im playing pokemon fire red on Visual boy advance emulator. I dont know man if this is because im using cheats or i dont really know. If this is over heating then I dont really think so. Because im playing almost all of the latest games in pc right now for hours! yeah i mean 6 to 10 hours. my laptop heats up but nothing is happening. then i tried to play pokemon because you know its still worth playing for. but before that i tried to play that game without cheats and it runs good. so what is it? is it because of the cheats? or my computer is just trolling me? Im looking forward for your help man. thanks a lot.

Asus

I go for Asus--durable. I'm running my laptop almost 24 hours a day in non-airconditioned room.

For your problem, it's more of overheating to me. Maybe the air vent of the laptop was covered when your wife was using it.

Could be overheating (thermal throttle), or malware/bug in the game/browser.
Or maybe your laptop is afraid of your wife. In that case, play a counselor and help them sort out things. :p Just kidding.
Did you contact your tech support on it?

You didn't tell us your brand and model. We see more disasters of laptop failures as time goes on... The new ones are thin, sleek, and fun... but most brands fall apart quickly and cannot be repaired except by a new motherboard.
The problem is way too often plugged cooling channels where dust, lint, dirt, and crud build up in the cooling systems, and users do not know how to remove it.
Most laptop owners do not know how to maintenance and clean their machines, or they believe they do not need to do so.
There are reasons why there are so few laptops with a warranty lasting longer than a year... The build, and the marketing.
It appears the failure rates are going up on most brands and models... not down.
A laptop should be thoroughly cleaned every six months... preferably every four months if used often.

@lockandload:
Sounds overheating to me, just follow what Raybay told you, and please tell us your brand and model.
I know a tip how to reduce your laptop temperature (overheating).. but please follow Rayban instruction first.

Back