My system temperature is weird?

lho

n my elite 330 case, I installed new fans in my system but my tempertures are still pretty high during my gameplay, as well as idle.
I don't know if the program sucks or what (speedfan)
these are the reading during idle.
GPU 68C
system 37C
cpu 51c
Aux 25c
HD 30C
Ambient 53C
During gameplay (left for dead 2)
GPU 80C slowly increase to 100C
CPU hover around 80-83C
AUX/HD still cool
Amibient 70C
Is this even normal? Im kinda worried for my system's sake

system I have:
Motherboard: P5K SE
CPU: Inetl Core 2 Duo E8400 n 3.00GHz
2.0GB RAM
MS windows XP Professional SP3
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Speedfan does suck, no doubt about that! The Elite 330 is a decent case, but not really considered a gamer's case either. For comparison, try downloading "SIW" (System Information for Windows) from our download page. After the redirect to the home site, you want to download the, "Freestanding English Version", that's the freebie.

Have you routed your IDE cables and such out of the airflow, that can make quite a difference.

In cases with solid covers on the PCI expansion slots, air tends to puddle under the video card. (Antec vents these "knockouts" on their gaming cases. You could simply take a couple of them out).

I didn't want to ask, since I'm sure you've kept you case spotless on the inside.

What HSF is on your E8400, the stock Intel, or something else?

Thanks for the reply
yes I realized that I couldn't trust speed fan and Ive been using SIW.
Using game play, the thing that worry me the most is the high temp of the gpu as well as the CPU. Graphic card tends to go higher than 90C while the CPU tends to hovers around 80-85C range (said so in speed fan and SIW).

The problem with the cable, I've been thinking that it might be one of the reason, but I'm not sure what i can do about that. In between my fan and the graphic card, there's a hard drive along with cables that are plug into the motherboard.

Yes, I've been cleaning my case like crazy every since I knew it was a overheating prolem

I believe the heat sink the CPU is using right now is the stock Intel. I'm not really comfortable of getting another heat sink as I don't think I'm experienced enough to install it myself. (but if it must be done then ya....)

OK, here's a link to an Antec 900 case; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&cm_re=antec_900_case-_-11-129-021-_-Product Click on the picture, and you'll get the image page. Pay particular attention to the rear view, you'll see what I meant about the vented PCI expansion slots, that help cool the graphics card.

Since you say you're inexperienced, did someone build this PC for you?

If you've never been inside a PC before, you need to learn about anti-static precautions, such as an anti-static wrist strap; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nti_static_wrist_strap-_-99-339-002-_-Product

If you're already aware of these things, my apologies. I'd rather be safe than to see you ruin your computer needlessly.

The stock Intel cooler should be sufficient for an E8400 running at the stock speed. but it sorta sounds like you may have the machine in a hot room, and/or need to to optimize the positions of your hardware and cables inside the case, to maximize air flow. There are also BIOS settings for the CPU fan, to make it speed up properly under load. The temps you're reporting are too high. An E8400, properly cooled, really shouldn't venture past the low 60's, (Celsius, of course). It's only a 65 watt TDP CPU, and shouldn't be that hard to keep cool.

Somethings you can consider attending to: are the case fans blowing in the right direction?. Are there HDDs blocking the flow of air from the front fan? Is the air intake of the power supply clear? Store any unused cables from the PSU high, in an unused Optical drive bay.

As to the removal and replacement of an Intel type cooler, it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be, but it has to be done right, and all four pins have to be seated correctly. Don't worry about the cooler until you attend to the rest of this, if it becomes necessary, we'll tackle that last.

Thanks for the reply

Don't worry about the safety comment, like you, I rather be safe than sorry.

I hear messing around with BIOS can really mess a computer up, can you tell me how to change my BIOS setting then? with step by step instruction to prevent screwing up the whole thing?

All the fans in the case are blowing in the right direction as I checked it many times, since the overheating problem was not resolved. I have only one hard drive and it is only blocking the bottom part of the fan, this can't really be helped since the fan position is right in front of the hard drive bay.

I think clearing the cables is a good idea, but is there a way to do this without unplugging stuff. Every cables look very similar and it looks like they are all plug in the the motherboard. The stupid part is how every plug is located at the bottom of the motherboard, in between the front fan and the graphic card. Also all the cables are secure with ton of zip lines, they are tie in a way that is very very hard to move, would it really be okay for me to cut those?

The messy cable is probably because I don't have a mod power supply, is there any way around this and not buy a new mod power supply?

To confirm, the fans are blowing outside the case yes? e.g. the direction of air flow is pulling the heated air out the case.

You can cable tidy cables out of the way. If your not using a modular psu its often the best way of removing them from airflow, as they're usually right in the way if they're just run to devices and not cable tied.

If your certain the cooling is fine, the next thing I would be doing is removing your CPU heatsink, and applying some decent thermal compound - Be aware that too much (and too little) will result in higher CPU temps being reported.

I would also remove a couple of your PCI slot blanks (if they're solid design) as well, as this will help with heat dissipation.

Yep, doubled checked the all airflow of my fan, they should be right.
(Front: intake / Rear: outtake (if thats even a word...lol) / Side: intake pointing toward CPU)

Yes, but how am I suppose to organize the cable? They are all ziplined and huge (right in the middle of the in the case.) - Some quick pointers/advice would be nice.
:eek:

Thanks for the suggestion of thermal compound, I am currently waiting for my purchase of thermal compound so hopefully that would help. I am worried that I might screw up by putting too much or too little so studying you tube video as best as i can.

There are holes in my sides panel that are near PCI slot, so I not sure it would help anymore to remove the PCI slot blanks. But I will give it a try if the cable management

I tend to use longer cables, and then zip tie them to the back plate to the right of the motherboard.

Take each wire, and one at a time, try and route them along the back plate. Some cables, like SATA cables can run along the bottom of your case, and then up to each SATA port. Ribbon cables are harder (IDE device ones), as they're a bigger size - ~But you could always purchase round versions of those cables, which will make moving them out of the way easier.

Its just a case of looking where each cable starts and ends, and then planning a route that hides the cable the best.

If I had the Antec 900 I would be making use of those mounting holes at the back of the case, used to mount optical and hard discs... Run the cables from each device to the back of the case (as you look at it side on e.g. motherboard facing you), and then run them down the side of the cage framework to the bottom, or wherever they need to go..

Take a pic of your current wiring in your case with the side panel removed, and put it on here and I'll look at it if you like.

I made some adjustment, moved my hard drive to the lowest slot as the last slot it was in the middle of the air flow path. Also I moved some cables around to give more room for the graphic card to work with. However, I'm not sure if the front fan is doing its job since I put my hand at the end of my case, I can barely feel any wind.

I made some adjustment, moved my hard drive to the lowest slot as the last slot it was in the middle of the air flow path. Also I moved some cables around to give more room for the graphic card to work with. However, I'm not sure if the front fan is doing its job since I put my hand at the end of my case, I can barely feel any wind.
Well, that's a start. Did you take out one or two of the PCI expansion slot covers to allow more airflow under the video card?

Also, you wouldn't "feel any wind" at the front fan, because it should be sucking air into the case! To check this blow some smoke from a cigarette near the fan, you will see it being drawn into the case, if it blows back out, the fan's in backwards.

Has anything you've done so far improved your temperature readings?
If I had the Antec 900 I would be making use of those mounting holes at the back of the case, used to mount optical and hard discs... your case with the side panel removed, and put it on here and I'll look at it if you like.
Unfortunately he doesn't have an Antec 900, it's a Cooler Master Elite 330....whoops. References to the 900 were made by me, to illustrate the venting covers it has on the PCI expansion slots. His case is this guy; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...119115&cm_re=elite_330-_-11-119-115-_-Product

Well, that's a start. Did you take out one or two of the PCI expansion slot covers to allow more airflow under the video card?

Also, you wouldn't "feel any wind" at the front fan, because it should be sucking air into the case! To check this blow some smoke from a cigarette near the fan, you will see it being drawn into the case, if it blows back out, the fan's in backwards.

Has anything you've done so far improved your temperature readings?Unfortunately he doesn't have an Antec 900, it's a Cooler Master Elite 330....whoops. References to the 900 were made by me, to illustrate the venting covers it has on the PCI expansion slots. His case is this guy; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...119115&cm_re=elite_330-_-11-119-115-_-Product

Thanks for that. I saw it linked and just assumed. LOL. It never even clicked. haha.

I can never remember for sure, but isn't it best to have a less air drawn in the front, and more out the back in order to create the airflow to remove heat from within the case?

My Dell case is crap, it only has one fan; the exhaust fan, 120mm in size. There are no other fans (nor can any others be fitted), except for the heatsink fan, and the fan in the GPU. My temps even with crysis are usually 50-55'c on the CPU, and no more than 70'C (avg. 60-65'C) even after 3-4hours playing it.

My point is, I'm really wondering if the thermal paste is good enough quality, and/or isn't applied right - Easily done that.

My point is, I'm really wondering if the thermal paste is good enough quality, and/or isn't applied right - Easily done that.
Well,perhaps it isn't. We haven't determined if this is a stock Intel HSF either. OP claims 80 C + @ the CPU, but also 100 C+ @ the video card. With that being said, I don't think that the sole problem is the CPU, but hey, I've been wrong before, recently even. I'm sort of suspect on the readings that have been obtained with "Speedfan" also, (however that s*** is spelled). It seems to me that if the CPU actually hit 80 C, then it should have been throttling back quite a bit.

Anyhow, on to the theory portion of the program. With two fans, operating in the same direction, and occupying the same volume of air, but at opposite ends, this is likely the result; If the front fan is moving a greater volume of air than the rear, then it will effectively "turbocharge" the rear fan, most likely causing it (rear fan) to spin faster. if the rear fan is moving more air, there will be a vacuum created in front of the front fan, sucking air through it, in turn, causing it to turn faster. As to which of these phenomenon is more "cool worthy" IDK, but I think tidying up the case (volume) interior will be of more benefit than either of the hair splitting theoretical versions of push versus pull, in the crazy world of fluid dynamics.

Did you like my idea of removing a couple of the PCI slot covers, to aid in relieving the puddle of hot air that seems to exist under the VGA?

So, in short, after all of these other things have been attended to, then it's probably time to attack the HSF issue.

BTW, our OP hasn't supplied any environmental info on the ambient conditions of the area housing the computer either.

And now a brief reality check brought to you by our sponsor;
I believe the heat sink the CPU is using right now is the stock Intel. I'm not really comfortable of getting another heat sink as I don't think I'm experienced enough to install it myself. (but if it must be done then ya....)

Hi Cap Leeky, and Iho,
just a question. I took a cursory look at the thread so if this repetitious my apologies. There is something strange, or appears to be anyway. If your CPU , GPU, and ambient are 100c/80c/70c respectively, it might be strange that your HDD's are running at only 30c. Have you checked the Luddite approach and just put your mits on the CPU heat-sink? If its actually that hot you will not be able to grab it for long. I think Cap has already admonished you about the discharge of static electricity before touching anything in your case, and the same would apply here. Just an idea as some of the temps don't seem to line up with the ambient and CPU. When I get a temp that looks out of line I just like to put the old fashioned test to it. :)

That's actually a good idea, the hard drive is in front of the front fan and been blocking it so I'm not surprise that it is cool. I moved that out of the way today, anyway Ive put my hand on the graphic card before, and it is very very hot. In the CPU case, I'm not very sure, the heat sink itself doesn't seem that hot when I checked it. I reposition the CPU today and I might have fixed the problem for it as I was gaming and it was max at 53 unlike before. I'll check more on about the CPU and get back to you guys.

Thanks for reply to my post and the helpful comment:haha:!

MY CPU temperature is not that hot anymore, it hovers around 51 - 53C under load (check with SIW during gameplay)

All I did was took my CPU heat sink out and try replacing it back and now it looks like it is fixed... that seems kinda fishy, should I be worried?
-(also opened some pci slot for the hot air from graphic card to vent)

EDIT: I think something is wrong, I did my furmark test, the GPU Core went up to atleast 100C while the CPU stayed at 51C the whole time, shouldn't the CPU temp rise little even if the fan is working properly. In the past, my CPU core temp during this test sky rocket to somewhere like the 80c, now it is barely moving, maybe I misplaced the CPU heat sink?

You can't simoply take off a CPU heat sink, then replace it. The surface of the CPU must be cleaned and also the mating surface of the HSF. The new thermal compound must be applied correctly, or you're just asking for big problems.

By replacing, I meant trying to tighten the screw that are holding the heatsink. I was wondering if this temperature was caused by the contact between the heatsink and the CPU being mess up . There were still thermal compound left on the CPU and the bottom of the fan as I checked it (not wiping or touching it).

So is the SIW reading incorrect? Is my CPU actually in danger of getting broken even though the reading is remaining between 51C - 53C?

By replacing, I meant trying to tighten the screw that are holding the heatsink. I was wondering if this temperature was caused by the contact between the heatsink and the CPU being mess up . There were still thermal compound left on the CPU and the bottom of the fan as I checked it (not wiping or touching it).

So is the SIW reading incorrect? Is my CPU actually in danger of getting broken even though the reading is remaining between 51C - 53C?
Well, is this idle or load? besides, I'm sticking to my original point that, "thermal compound can't be reused". So, IMO, you don't have to "take off" the HSF, to see if the screws are tight.

I've never bothered trying to use SIW in real time, I suppose you can. Game with the machine, then check the posted >> Maximum<< temps, not the current temps.

Yes, you can break your CPU by running it too hot. The posted maximum temp for your CPU is about 73 C...!

Yes, the temperature I reported were in real time with SIW. During idle, the CPU would stay at 51C, while playing games would give me a temperature range between 51C - 53C.

As you mentioned that it is possible to fry my CPU if it gets too hot as my previous posted temperature are 73C approx. Now the temperature is around 50s and I feel a bit safe, but is there a possibility that the SIW readings are wrong and that the temperature is actually higher than 50c?

My computer is placed in the basement where it is often very cooled, even in the summer. I can't remember if I said this before but yes, I did open the slots underneath the video card so perhaps that might be a good reason to believe that the CPU is kept in the 50C range (assuming the SIW readings are correct). There are still artifacting in my game play so it still suggest overheating problem, however I can't figure which one now as SIW all the reading seems normal, including my GPU with 100C+ during real time in a game, which is said by one of the member here that it is normal.

What are the common overheating causes of artifacting if I may ask?

Well, Damage to the GPU from overheating is also a possibility. I'm not a gamer, so I really can't tell you how much of a beating a video card can take, before the artifacting becomes permanent. I think that 100C is too high, but again, I don't game.

Many video cards come with software to control fan speed and overclocking. Does yours?

As to your CPU temps, I think that under heavy use the CPU temp should rise a few degrees. or (?)

I would still argue that you can't remove a CPU HSF, the replace it without redoing the thermal compound, but as always, your results may vary

That said, I'm sure there are different hardware monitors you can try. I don't know what else to say you should download. Perhaps somebody has another idea.

Thank you for all of your comment once again.

I also think the 100C+ GPU is too high but people say 8800GT can take this temperature while other disagree, I have no idea which is true. Wiki said NVIDIA got sue for supposely knowing the overheating problem but continue production and sales to consumer.
Anyway, I did think about the suggestion for overclocking the fan speed on the card but it was advise to do so with care since it might further damage the card if it is not done with care so I steered clear of that option since I'm no expert.

I will take your advise about the CPU HSF in mind and try to get my hand on some thermal compound and apply to the CPU.

Once again, thanks for all your help, it granted me some insight to the overall problem and hopefully this will lead me close to a better solution.

Anyway, I did think about the suggestion for overclocking the fan speed on the card but it was advise to do so with care since it might further damage the card if it is not done with care so I steered clear of that option since I'm no expert.

I think you misunderstood my comment about overclocking and fan speed.

Those are actually two different issues. The software for video cards controls different aspects of performance.

Some people slow their fan down on the video card because of noise. In some cases it it controlled by need, (speeds up as the card gets hot), but in your case, I would speed up the fan always, at least at first, to see if it might help.

Overclocking is increasing the memory and GPU speed of the card, and IMHO it should be avoided by most people, and certainly by you.

I hope that clears things up a little. Post back if it doesn't :)

What would be a safe percentage to set my new fan speed at then? Wouldn't speeding up cause the card to degrade faster, as some post on the internet (google) said, the fan of the card is not manufactured to maintain such high speed for the long period of time, hence wouldn't it be dangerous to up the fan speed?

Back