My computer is freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have built my own PC and i'm pretty good with computers myself. However lately i've been experiencing a problem and its been running great until a few weeks ago. I have made no hardware changes since then except adding 4GB RAM. My computer has frozen 5 or 6 times since then. I'm not sure if its heat, or what really, but heat is my best guess since i noticed some of my tempatures are unusally higher than what they were.

I have an Intel i7 930 2.8GHz not OC! With Elitegroup X58B-A2 motherboard under the hood and an 850 Watt Power supply with Nvidia Geforce 295 GTX MFG by Gigabyte. Currently have 8GB PNY DDR3 1333 RAM (4x2GB) equipped with a case fan extra only. The case fan runs at a lil less than 1,000 RPMs which i'd like to jack up. CPUID Hardware Monitor is what i use to check my tempatures. my CPU cores run between 55-70 degrees Celsuis idle now, why i'm not sure? My GPU core will run from 60 to 70 celsuis, i've never seen it over 70, as by the time it's 70 i experience a freeze. Possibly a GPU temp high? However i have read up that 70 is fine for this card to handle.

My best estimation is my Memory overheating, however i have ran multiple memory tests and they experience no errors. and I have done some CPU benchmarking/stress testing and i've seen my CPU reach 88 degrees and still run fine. Why? I dunno because 88 is very high so my CPU is high yes, but not enough to cause a freeze. Now i've played music while freezing to see how it reacts, its an instant sound replay of maybe 0.2 seconds of sound dinging at me lol. my numlock doesn't react or my mouse, ctrl+alt+delx2 will not reboot PC. Keyboard totally unresponsive during a freeze. Never had a BSOD though!

I play World of Warcraft, btw. When i play it for an hour or 2 i'll freeze, but earlier today i froze just booting up so i'm thinking theres a problem. I've checked my system for viruses and whatnot, nothing. My hard drive is not even close to full. I have a very nice system i should not be exerincing these freezes. It happened ever since i got 2 new sticks of PNY RAM. I have them placed in the first 4 slots of my MB, they do get hot i must say, i've taken my case off and touched them yeah they are deffinitely hot. My system gets air dusted out once a month at the least. S it's not dusty at all very clean.

I can provide any screenshots or pictures of my computer you like, just give me some advice here, i've done everything i know and still puzzled.

Those idle temps are really high. I think your case isn't providing for much aurflow. What case are you using? Also, what are the ambient temperatures like?

hi
you did a great job on explaning the problem and the troubleshooting methods , but i have a question you did not mention running a spyware scan . if you didnot try Malwarebytes and check for any regiestry error's if you did run a scan , swap the 850 PW with a lower output one and see if you get any freezes if you still getting the same problem check your case specs .

Is that really idle temps? make sure cpu usage is 0 percent when the temps were recorded, if yes, then make sure the cabinet has a good airflow.

Check to see the cpu fan is actually touching the cpu. I had a case where i thought it was but actually wasnt. When playing World of Warcraft i also had freezes where it would just hang up. I had to turn down the graphic settings of the game to stop this freezing which did help. Im running 2 HD3870's.

Make sure you have put sufficient amount of thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU, not too less not too more, just sufficient and can you just post speed of your cpu fan at that temps? like 1000 Rpm like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back