need help putting in a new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an sis 651 chipset :haha: for my graphics, and it cannot handle WoW among others. I have procurred a Nvidia GF4 MX440se 64MB card. It fits in my agp slot so I assume it goes there. However my monitor does not come out of standby on reboot. I have tried disabling my sis adaptor with device manager, but also to no avail. I hear my computer going through the motions I just can't see anything. I have heard of transferring my monitor from the onboard card to the agp slot, but I do not know how to do this. Do I need to switch the monitor cable too, because it doesn't look like it is going to fit the socket on the new card.

--I am running windows xp. I am somewhat comfortable going in the bios, but not sure what steps to take.--

Also I have downloaded drivers for the new card, but I can't get device manager to recognize anything but the sis adapter so I can't choose a driver for my gf4.

Any help would be keen.

Really waiting to play WoW :(

Thats a really old chipset. It may not be able to handle an 8x card or the cards voltage. Remove the card and update the motherboard drivers then try the card. Also some older boards have a jumper for disabling the onboard video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back