Need Help Putting together a PC for family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Hello Everyone. I've built my own PC before, So I am capable of putting one together. The problem is, I built mine for STRICTLY gaming, where as I have had the task bestowed upon me to build one for my aunt & uncle. I'm looking for some parts that will be capable to efficently run things such as E-mail, Word processing, and a very limited amount of gaming. Their price range is $1250 before taxes. I'd be overwhelmed with joy if I could get some posts on some reccomendations on parts that would be able to meet the needs of my Aunt & Uncle. Thanks In advance everyone!

Shoot for reliability and usability.

Intel Pentium E2140 ore E2160 or earlier. The Intel Core 2 Duo range has been highly successful and reliablel, delivering unbeatable performance at a variety of prices. The original Core 2 Duo E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300 processors have been great.

But the less costly AMD cpu would be every bit as good a choice for a family computer.

Those combined with an excellent motherboard from FoxConn, Intel, Gigabyte, or ABit will make you a hero.

One way to save, is to look for a motherboard cpu combo package from www.tigerdirect.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.directron.com, www.pcmall, www.newegg.com, www.outpost.com, and so on. You can find dramatic savings on them. You want to look at a 4 GB board for memory, and a Front Side Bus of 1000 or higher.

A top quality 500 watt power supply is perhaps critical.

But it seems to me that in building for a family, the critical decision is building for reliability and flexibility... You don't need the grins and jokes that come with a failure.

Upon this solid foundation, I would use onboard sound, ethernet, and video graphics which you can upgrade at any later time. A rugged basic install with a superb motherboard built for the future, gives you choices for the inevitable improvements.

Just remember they are not likely to care what the FSB or component brands are. But they will notice if the memory capacity is inadequate or if the hard drive fills up too quickly because of family photos. Easy access to USB ports and a card reader on the front are obvious choices.

And top it all off with a 20 inch flat panel LCD monitor from Sony, LG, Sharp, or Samsung. Do not try to save money with a junk low resolution, low contrast screen. You also want a monitor that can be adjusted up and down as well as sideways, so it can accomodate a number of users.

There is a good publication on the Magazine racks of Wal-Marts and supermarket chains, called PC Building Bible 2007 which has a number of useful suggestions.

Good luck. Let us know what you decided.

Blackjack said:
Hello Everyone. I've built my own PC before, So I am capable of putting one together. The problem is, I built mine for STRICTLY gaming, where as I have had the task bestowed upon me to build one for my aunt & uncle. I'm looking for some parts that will be capable to efficently run things such as E-mail, Word processing, and a very limited amount of gaming. Their price range is $1250 before taxes. I'd be overwhelmed with joy if I could get some posts on some reccomendations on parts that would be able to meet the needs of my Aunt & Uncle. Thanks In advance everyone!
I don't know if you can get in Canada but here's an option:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6498101

I have one myself I got from Dell and upgraded myself.

Just upgrade them from Windows Vista to Wnidows Xp and buy them a Firewall program and preinstall and set it up for them.

Heres the system i just ordered from newegg and totals 750 bucks minus dvd rom, system case and monitor.. its a good setup which u can throw in there for under 250 bucks. Might want to upgrade the vista version though...im sure that it will handle anything they can throw at it.

MB GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H 690G RTL - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$79.99)
CPU AMD|A64 X2 6000 3.0G AM2 2x1M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$164.99)
VGA EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR8600GTS 256M - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$159.99)
PSU ROSEWILL|RP600V2-S-SL 600W RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$64.99)
MEM 1Gx2|A-DATA ADQVE1A16K R - Retail (Qty=2, Price=$137.98)
HD 160G|WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1600AAJS % - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$49.99)
S/W MS WIN VISTA 64BT HMBSC 1P DVD% - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$94.99)

Good luck, happy building

Hard to believe you can get two gigabyes of memory for $52.

But this is an excellent configuration that should be reliable, and valued by your family.

Congratuations to Rage_3K_Moiz for the hard work and cleverness in putting this package together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back