Need help upgrading... well almost everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_noob005

Hi, so I currently have a motherboard with only pci slots. So I want to upgrade that, but while I'm at it I need to know what the best are and good upgrades for processor and power supply. I'm going for a gaming computer and my current specs are:

Processor: Intel Celeron 330
cpu: 2.66ghz

MotherBoard

Manufactor: Dell
Chipset:Intel 1865p/PE/G/i848P
I have a Dell B110

I'm looking at this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138105
I' don't really have a price budget, but I'm going for acheapest as possible, but still upgradeable so I can add on new graphics cards, etc. later.

That motherboard is very decent for a gaming build on a budget. It doesn't support your current CPU though. Are you going to buy a new CPU too? You can get an X2 5400+ BE for $66 with free shipping on Newegg, a very good bargain IMO.

Also, if you want recommendations on a possible system build, just post a rough budget, your location and whether or not you need parts like a DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.

Thanks for replying. So if I were to get a cpu with it, I wouldn't have to upgrade anything else until I have the money? Also If I can get a low end computer with one PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot for under $300 then I'd rather do that, but right now, I don't have much money, so upgrading as I go seems like a cheaper option. Also for the building a system option, it wouldn't have to have that nice of parts, yet, it would just need to be upgradeable.

also if I were building a new comp, case wise which one is best:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144001
(looks good, price, psu)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147105
(I really like the looks of this one, and a lot of fans, but no psu)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147117
(seems like an all around good deal, but there are no reviews, so I
m worried about it.)

For a gaming computer, you'd need a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and video card, as well as a power supply for it all. It is very doable with $300. Here's an upgradeable system that is also a decent gaming build:
Grand Total = $305.95 without counting shipping (which is free on most of the items) and rebates. If you want, you can go with this video card if your budget allows. You can re-use your case, HDDs and other stuff from your Dell. A new case isn't too expensive either, and you can get a decent one for ~$30-40.

Good luck and I hope I helped. :)

Thanks for all the help, but if i wanted a new case would the last case I posted, be good, since It comes with power supply, also I already have 2 gb of ram, so is another 2 necessary now?

You have 2GB of DDR RAM isn't it? You'll need DDR2 for the new board.

Also, I would recommend this case over any other. Also, I don't recommend most PSUs that come with cases, since they're usually not very good. There are exceptions, but the ones you've posted are not among these exceptions. The OCZ PSU I posted a link to is relatively cheap and far better than the ones that come with the Apevia and Rosewill cases respectively.

Hi, sorry for keep asking questions, but is the power supply necessary,will my current one which I believe is 250 watts, work? Also I was thinking of getting this motherboard and cpu instead, is everything compatible?

Also for the above cpu it seems to not come with a cooler, will that be a big problem?

Yes, you will need a new PSU for the new video card primarily.

And yes, the parts you've chosen will work together without problems. And no, the CPU does come with a heatsink, since all retail CPUs come with heatsinks.

Hmm, looks like you're right, the CPU doesn't come with a fan in the box. I apologize for that, my mistake.

But a very decent CPU HSF can be had for around $30-40 and even lower, so look around. Also, you may want to ask your local computer store if they'll sell you an AM2 compatible HSF for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back