Bottleneck Identification/Upgrade Questions

Hello all,

I'm ready to start upgrading, or perhaps more accurately, starting a new build around my GPU, and so I'd like to understand better what exactly is holding my system back at the moment. My system looks like this. I've just run benchmarks on UserBenchmark to get these results:

image_2022-01-17_213347.png
image_2022-01-17_213442.png
image_2022-01-17_213517.png

According to these results, it would suggest that my rig is capable of gaming rather competently, however I'm currently attempting to play God of War on Ultra settings at 1080p, and I'm getting constant frame drops and cannot even keep a steady 60 FPS. I have noticed that my CPU usage is constantly maxed out while playing, so I'm wondering if this is where the major bottlenecking is occurring.

I'm aware that to build a new rig with a significant improvement in CPU and RAM that I'd need to purchase a new motherboard as well, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for decent upgrades that would help me get the most out of my GPU. I don't really want to built a rocket ship, but I'd at least like to have something that can game comfortably at 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Yah, that bottleneck for you is the CPU and the older DDR3 platform. We have been on DDR4 a long time and DDR5 is just starting to make its debut. The good news is that any (Even an I3 !) Intel 12gen CPU is going to be better than what you have now or even any of the AMD Ryzen chips.

The best way to figure out what to buy is to first check out how your CPU stacks up currently:

The single thread score of 2137 is too low for a modern gaming and the overall score matters too on multi threaded games and it's 5533.

Once you start checking out the scores of the new CPUs it's just a matter of buying what you can afford. The performance jump is going to be huge for 1080p and the 1080Ti is going to be up to the task. =)

Oh...motherboard-wise you should shoot for a middle of the road chipset. I build a lot of AMD so I like the B450 and B550 chipsets (B550 is the newest and best suited if you choose a Ryzen 5000 series CPU).

To get RAM that works just go to a site like GSkill and use the ram configurator. Put in your motherboard info and look up RAM kits that work. They are priced by the size and timings. I would think that a 16GB kit (2 x 8GB) would work best and the 32GB is plenty enough if you want to splurge.

I didn't look closely at the rest of your system but a SSD is also essential. I would start with a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD. Even the drive in the 2.5" SATA format is good enough for gaming and the prices are good on those drives. They are super reliable.

Hello all,

I'm ready to start upgrading, or perhaps more accurately, starting a new build around my GPU, and so I'd like to understand better what exactly is holding my system back at the moment. My system looks like this. I've just run benchmarks on UserBenchmark to get these results:

View attachment 88119
View attachment 88120
View attachment 88121

According to these results, it would suggest that my rig is capable of gaming rather competently, however I'm currently attempting to play God of War on Ultra settings at 1080p, and I'm getting constant frame drops and cannot even keep a steady 60 FPS. I have noticed that my CPU usage is constantly maxed out while playing, so I'm wondering if this is where the major bottlenecking is occurring.

I'm aware that to build a new rig with a significant improvement in CPU and RAM that I'd need to purchase a new motherboard as well, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for decent upgrades that would help me get the most out of my GPU. I don't really want to built a rocket ship, but I'd at least like to have something that can game comfortably at 1080p.

Thanks in advance.
Just gonna give some advice. Userbenchmark is full of bs. Don't use their website. They have huge bias towards amd, both cpus and gpus. They claim that a 2080 ti is only 10% worse than a 6900 xt. HA! They also claim that an intel core i3 from 2013 comes close to a ryzen 5 1600. The 1600 is not a great chip, but come on. 2013 i3?? Really any other website gives more accurate results than userbench. Ok, sorry for my rant. The CPU is definitely bottlenecking the CPU, especially since it still runs on ddr3. Get a new board and processor. I don't know what you want to go with, I will try hard to convimce you to go to amd though ;) . Anything from this generation (even the lower end) Can run a 1080 ti. You don't need to upgrade the 1080 ti, as that card will give amazing 1080p and 1440p gaming for years to come.1080 ti is definitely the GPU of the decade. I would suggest a 5600x and 16 gb of 3200mhz ram, or if you like to do streaming, go with a 3800x or a 5800x if you want to go overkill. All 3 will get the most out of your GPU. As for intel, if you want to go that route, I have absolutely no idea and I will have to pass the gauntlet to someone who has done a build with intel before. Hope you work it out!

Back