Need help with "my first router"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi all, yesterday i was given a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g/DSL Gateway.

I have a wireless 3G internet connection that can use usb or rj45 and have experimented with the router some.
Ive tried connecting the modem to the router via the lan ports with both crossed and straight cables and all works fine.
But when i connect the modem to the "ethernet cable dsl" port via both straight and twisty i get nothing?
Am i correct in thinking that it should work fine or am i totally off track??

rik said:
Hi all, yesterday i was given a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g/DSL Gateway.

I have a wireless 3G internet connection that can use usb or rj45 and have experimented with the router some.
Ive tried connecting the modem to the router via the lan ports with both crossed and straight cables and all works fine.
But when i connect the modem to the "ethernet cable dsl" port via both straight and twisty i get nothing?
Am i correct in thinking that it should work fine or am i totally off track??

You will need to reboot the cable modem before hand then connect it to the new router, connect to the router from a PC to one of the ethernet ports and use a webpage to enter the settings, I dont know what address you will have to enter in the webpage to get to a 3com, I use a Belkin and I enter 192.168.2.1 to get to mine.

Thats just a guess from me, others may know better.

Thanx for you time, the modem isnt the most reliable of internet connections at the best of times and gets rebooted 3 or 4 times a day. Ive been told that i have to get the routers ip and set that as my default gateway. But im not sure how to do either???

Yep. that and telling the modem in the config page what type of connection you use from the modem (need the modem to dail out on command, account user name etc if needed, static/auto IP address sent from the modem etc)

Generaly its 192.168.0.1 or go to your network connections page and click "unhide uPnP devices" from the side bar and look for your router..

Edit: just run windows network wizard [start>programs>accessories>communications>Network Wizard] and select "this computer connects to a gateway device to access the i.net"

I dont see why the router needs to be rebooted like that.. its supposed to be designed to stay on 24/7..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back