Changing Mac address on TP-Link router

Willik

I would like to change both the ipaddress and the Mac address of my router.

My router has a dynamic IP address but a fixed Mac address. My router used to have a separate Mac address, and I had a tablet and an iPhone attached to it. The iPhone was put on hold by me for the month. The LAN Mac address is now the Mac address of the iPhone. I know this because when my router was giving both internet, I had to block my iPhone to reset something privately, writing down the Mac address, and my internet worked just fine after. What could this mean? I was also seeing double devices with this Mac address previously , before disconnecting the iPhone from service. Any advice on this would be helpful. The Mac address seems to be fixed to the LAN at this time. I do not want any rooting advice please, but will try anything else.

Also, I need specific steps for customizing the IP address of my LAN, and using a custom MAC address. My internet was much faster yesterday when I had it customized, but now it isn't accepting a custom Mac or a custom ip. The router will accept a custom ip address, but after it is impossible to access it on the browser to refine the settings. DHCP and IPv6 are both currently disabled, if that helps. Please help as I am interested in learning this added layer of personal ip security for my apt.

I know it is possible to have a custom Mac address and a custom router IP address and to access this router locally via the custom address somehow, thank you for your help.

Last edited:
You can only change the IP. On most devices the MAC address is the physical address stamped into the network board to identify it for ARP and manufacturer. I hope this helps in your quest. As for the IP address it has to be in the same subnet as the LAN on your router or it will not be able to communicate. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

It's unusual for 2 devices to have the same mac address, I have never heard of that. It's like a vehicle identification number for an automobile, it's supposed to be unique for a particular device. I am not sure what you mean when you say the LAN mac address is the same as the mac address for the iphone. The ip address can be changed and one or the other must be changed if they are the same because no 2 devices can have the same ip address on a network. You can also do in a router what is called clone the mac address, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

You can only change the IP. On most devices the MAC address is the physical address stamped into the network board to identify it for ARP and manufacturer. I hope this helps in your quest. As for the IP address it has to be in the same subnet as the LAN on your router or it will not be able to communicate. I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
I think this is a part of the problem. The old ip address for the router was 192.168.0.1. the one I wished to set was 192.172 0.1, and it can't find it. What is a good subset please?
I had the subsets as 192.100.0.1-192.199.0.1 but it wouldn't take them.

Thank you for the Mac address info. I did want to change that. It did finally allow me to use a custom Mac address, like a call sign I guess. All this has speeded up service a lot, so I must have fixed something lol.

Last edited:
So here may be part of the problem. 192.172.x.x is a public address. You must keep the first 2 octets 192.168.x.x. As a class C subnet you can change the third octet to something else eg. 192.168.172.x/24.

If I have a duplicate ip address like 192.168.0.1 for two devices, I change the last number for either one of them to say 192.168.0.2 or something like that. the last number can go all the way to 254 because there is only 255 possible and 255 is reserved.

Back