Need help with upgrading my pixel shader

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

Need help with upgrading my pixel shader, and video card advice

I have a dell dimension 2400 and I want to buy this game(Hellgate London) thats coming out it requires 2.0 pixel shader. I dont think i have 2.0. Nvidia XFX GeForce 5200 was recomend to me for my machine. Will that upgrade me to 2.0 pixel shader? Also is this compatible with my machine? Another thing is 256 MB RADEON HD 2400 Full Height Graphics Card for Dell OptiPlex 755 Desktop, is that compatible with my machine and if so will that upgrade my pixel shader? And obviously if not how do i upgrade my pixel shader? These are the games requirements

* Processor: 1 .8GHz or faster (2.4GHz for Vista)
* RAM: 1GB or more (2GB for Vista)
* Video: DirectX 9.0c/10 compatible device w/ 128MB RAM or better and Pixel Shader 2.0 support; requires NVIDIA GeForce 6200/ATI Radeon 9000 chipset or greater
* Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible device
* Disc drive: 8x DVD or faster
* Hard drive: 6 GB or more free space
* Input: Keyboard and mouse
* Internet: Connection required for multiplayer

The video is the only part Im wary about, please tell me my options :).

You cant upgrade a pixel shader, that's a process that's in your video card. And remember that the recommended specs for a game is to run it on low details. At minimum in most cases. We also need to know your pc specs?

You cant upgrade a pixel shader, that's a process that's in your video card. And remember that the recommended specs for a game is to run it on low details. At minimum in most cases. We also need to know your pc specs?

I hope this is what you mean by specs Pentium 4 cpu 2.53ghz 768 ram (im upgrading ram soon) Microsoft Windoiws XP home edition with sp2 (5.1, build 2600) Directc 9.0c. I can get anything done on a computer if you tell me how but im no where near a pro at computers. Tell me how to get specs if those arent it plz.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/24/2007, 13:14:33
Machine name: THETIMEMACHINE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 2400
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 766MB RAM
Page File: 352MB used, 1524MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

to upgrade a pixel shader, the only way is to upgrade the video card, and I do not see that u have given us what video card u have. we will have to know what slot it is going to fit in to recomend one.

treetops said:
I hope this is what you mean by specs Pentium 4 cpu 2.53ghz 768 ram (im upgrading ram soon) Microsoft Windoiws XP home edition with sp2 (5.1, build 2600) Directc 9.0c. I can get anything done on a computer if you tell me how but im no where near a pro at computers. Tell me how to get specs if those arent it plz.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/24/2007, 13:14:33
Machine name: THETIMEMACHINE
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 2400
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 766MB RAM
Page File: 352MB used, 1524MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

find out if this thing is agp or pcix16 for graphics port.

Im using Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller if i need to look into my machine, gimme a decription of what im looking for. Based off this link i must have a pci slot www.techspot.com/vb/topic40077.html

Ok so based off that link its a pci slot, that thread came about in 2005, what video cards do you guys recomend? I know there has to be something better then what they recomended in 2005.

Ok OK i read more about it it has 2-3 available pci slots, what it has is a Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip and no agp slot.

looks like you have integraded graphics on your motherboard. If you dont have agp or pci E(pci is older and every different from pci-E) you wont get a lot of performance from a card you could buy. Check this thread out.

Through looking at various forums before you replied I bought a video card, thanks for that thread btw. It is a pci card with 256mb and has 3.0 pixel shader. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1270455

now my next step is to buy some more ram i have 762 or soemthing right now im gonna get a 1gig stick making it 1.5gb ram, here is where i found some cheap cards http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=1gb+ram&cat=prod&sort=price&p=5

When i look at what it comes with, it has ddr ram however does that mean i cant use ddr2 or sdram?
I just want to check and make sure i dont need specific ram sticks for my machine. What ram sticks can i use if i need specific ones?

I'm assuming its 184pin ddr probably, but i cant tell from the specs you post. You need to run cpu z, its a free download you can find on the web, it will tell you what kind of ram you have in your machine. Oh and btw, buying cheap products isnt good when you're trying to upgrade. You usually get what you pay for when it comes to pc standards.

Alright. I found out that you cannot mix ddr2 and ddr and also ddr2 wont fit in ddr and if it did the mother board would throw a fit. What do you think of that video card? I ran cpu-z it is ddr now i feel like i have to master the clock time thing. And your right i shouldnt go cheap but i feel a ram sticks a ram stick, but if you know of a good one i can get off dell im all ears. DDR are listed as 184pin, also if i have 2 different brands in there how big of a difference will that make?

I went with 2 50$ ram sticks 1gb each. The 100$ ram sticks had the same memory speed and some of the 70-80$ one shad less memory speed and im assuming the memory speed is important. To bad i cant get ddr2 theyre memory speed looks like and average of double. Ok another question are any video cards only limited to ddr2 ram? Could the video card not work because i have ddr ram?

Bah my max memoy is only 1gig i ordered 2, well i can always sell a gig to my brother. Can you guys give me some suggestions of a mob i should replace this one with? That is ddr ram compatible?

If you upgrade your mobo, may things to take into account, will your old drive be capatible, along with the ddr ram speed you have, and the most important thing is the socket type of your cpu...will it fit in a newer model mobo.

Yeah i cant even use 1 1gig in a slot the max per slot is 512. Im going to have to cancel the order. but with only 1gig of ram wich is the min requirement for this game, things are looking pretty shabby. Maybe i should make a new thread about wich type of mob i should get. Yeah ill just see what kind of mother board i should get in a new thread. To see what potential boards to get. Ill burrow a 512 stick from somone and see how the game runs and if its as crappy as i think it will be ill get a new mobo.

Alright how do i find out my socket type and if the drive is compatible, i think i got the ram thing down only ddr ram mobos. I dont want to call dell they might charge and also i heard they have insanely bad customer service. I went to change something on my account the first day i got my account and it took about 2 hours and that was just about an error they made on my mothers maiden name.

That proccesor is 2.4 ghz and mine is 2.53. Thanks for all the advice.

Ok supposedly its max 1gig, with a limit of 512 ram per slot however they sell this 1gig ram stick just for dell dimension 2400. And people that review boast about having more than 1gig ram. Can somone make some sense of this to me.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0740429

This is something else on there site http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm#1105481

wich says the maximum memory is 1gig and how the maximum ram is 512 per slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back