Need info about web site builders

I would like if someone would rank and price web site builders. I need to set up a web site and I have not build one in a very long time. I would like software that is easy to use but with some complexity for later on when I am more knowledgeable.

Unless your supremely confident in your abilities I strongly suggest you just get one built.

Even more seriously, if you want to do it don't even bother with a normal "website" and head straight for a Wordpress install, as your inexperience can leverage so much more control. Adding pages, comments, or customising is possible in an almost infinite number of ways as well. Plus once you've settled with a design, adding a new page is as simple as clicking new page from within the admin panel, naming a title for it, and then typing the content and hitting publish... Simples! :D

For an example of two, check out two of my sites:

www.leekaelin.co.uk
www.vvon.co.uk

Both are running Wordpress, and both are fantastic with the correct tools for SEO etc.

Website design programs

I made a site about 5 years ago in the free program 'Nvu', but it has been improved and updated and is available from www.bluegriffon.org
If you are in the UK, and have a W.H. Smiths nearby, they stock software under the name 'Focus', which are really older programs from various software companies.
The 'Web designer' program is an old version of Serif's Webplus (9 or 10), and if you are used to DTP type of page design, it may do all you want, being 'drag and drop', rather than markup language. This will cost you, but it's about 1/4 of the current WebPlus program price.
I have used Webplus 9 to build several sites, all worked well, and I found it very easy to learn, and get results quickly.
You can also download a free 'starter' edition to try it out from; http://www.serif.com/FreeDownloads/

If you're only needing a homepage, then it doesn't matter much which way you go.

As you start adding more content to the site, the complexity and layout will soon be important to you and your user / visitors

and if you are headed to a shopping cart solution for selling products, you should just buy the solution available from the webhosting service you use.

Now if you intended to build and run your website on your personal home computer - -
you need to do a lot more reading on networking (ie getting and supporting a domain name), availability and security.

Back