Need some advice in setting up audio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofy Newfie

I am not much of a power user, and have always been satisfied with the onboard sound capability on my mobo. However, I just purchased a Live 5.1 sound card, and was wondering what type of speakers to outfit it with. I am pretty cheap, so I don't want to blow a wad of dough on them. What does 5.1 mean exactly, and can 3.1 or 4.1 speaker systems run effectively on the 5.1 cards? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry, but i can't help you with a choice of speakers, but i can tell you what " 5.1 " is...

It refers to amount of speakers, 5 in this case, which would be front left, front right, front centre, rear left and rear right. The .1 refers to the subwoofer which kicks out the bass frequencies.

Its great when playing games as you can hear the sound from all around you, a bit similar to cinemas, (which use Dolby Digital etc, which is also 5.1) like when a plane flies overhead on the screen the sound would pass from behind you to into front of you giving that extra realism. In games like Unreal Tournament etc you can actually hear where the bullets, rockets etc are coming from in realtion to yourself...

Hope i made sense in all that...

There is no problem using 2.1, 3.1 or 4.1 with a 5.1 card...

All you have to do is set the number of speakers and positions in the Creative Control panel (Speaker setup or something like that) and you're good to go :)

If of course you can wait that long...........You might want to ask for an early christmas present ;)

I know I would

A month or so is still sonner than a few months or so....... So that is something you kind of have to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back