need some quick help

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklinz

after getting some weird registry file errors, i decided to do a clean reformat of my hard drive. Or so i thought... fdisk, delete partition, restart, create partition, set active partition, then format /s c: right?? Anyways after doing that i go to load windows 98 goes without a hitch. After installing some drivers for my graphics card, it gives me
"Windows Registry Checker
Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you."
BS..... restarted the computer and it goes through the Registry Checker, and says it fixed the problem. But once windows boots up it says
"c:\windows\system\.dat
this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."
WTF!! Another thing is when i set my active partition, a box starts flashing and it says "boot sector is to be modified, y to accept any key to abort" as you might know i am a noob so please any help is greatly appreciated.
setup: Soyo p4x400 dragon ultra mobo
P4 2.4
512 pc2100
radeon 9700
soundblaster audigy gamer
wd 40 gig hard drive
only thing thats running integrated is my nic
I did try to do some registry editing before but decided to delete them. Everything still ran perfect though.
franklinz

I got that identical error once when I had a bad RAM module, if your 512 isn't in just 1 stick take one out, if it still gives you the same error put the other one in. I'm not promising this is the cause of the error, but its the same as mine when I had a bad 256Meg module from Crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back