Need video card upgrade recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascade

I recently purchased Serious Sam II and found out my video card (NVIDIA GeForce MX420) will not run the game. :blackeye:
I would like to upgrade to the best model of NIVIDA card that will work on my computer and is cost effective.
I am using an HP Pavilion 734n, athlon, AM37 motherboard.
I have looked at all of their models, but can't figure out which one is best for my situation. I am not planning to do further upgrades to this computer other than the video card.

Cascade, just a forwarning, you may also need a new power supply when you upgrade your video card. If you go and get one of the cards that vegasgmc is suggesting, they require a lot more juice than your current one.

Open up your case and look at the sticker on the PSU. Who is the maker, and how many watts is it rated at?

Thanks DonNagual and vegasmc for your help.
I haven't opend my case yet, but I do have a print out of the motherboard specs.
It says, Graphics Connector (AGP) / AGP 4X (1.5V only)
I will start looking into the power requirements for the new card.

Just so you know, you can still use 8x graphics cards in your system. The card will automatically make the adjustments to match your motherboard.

DonNagual
Thanks for that informaion, I was wondering if a 8X would work in my 4X system.
I am still trying to match up what I have for power supply to the requirements for the 6800.
My system spec's say it has 1.5V only for the AGP slot, but don't know the requirements for the new board.

Yes, in general 8x AGP cards will scale themselves down to match AGP4x boards. As vegasgmc above points out, some cards are better at doing this than others, so keep that in mind, but THEORETICALLY, any 8x card should work.

Even though your slot says ONLY 1.4v, it can still use an 8x card. You CAN NOT stick older AGP cards in there like an AGP2x or 1x. They require 3.3v which your slot can not provide. (The 8x cards only require 0.8v)

DonNagual
Again, thanks for the power spec's, I was getting frustated trying to figure it out.
Does the card regulate it's power need, being the supply is 1.5 volts?

PS I see you are located in Japan, many years ago I spent two years in Iwakuni, while in the service.

Ive got a geforce 5600 and that just scrapes the ok mark in serious sam2.
PS, scaled down AGP runs very crapfully. In fact i would suggest upgrading to a agp8x mobo seeing as theyre cheap as chips these days, what with all yur PCI-E and that....

PC_Nerd
Thanks for your input, I am having second thoughts on the overall ability of my PC, upgrading to a better video card may be disapointing for the money spent.

AGP 4x will not have any real measurable decrease in performance as nothing uses AGP texturing any more. You'll obtain a very, very sizeable improvement in gaming performance with a 3d card upgrade.

Serious Sam II is a very, very intensive game so therefore budget videocards, while yielding the ability and decent performance, it's more targetted towards higher end videocards.

The best bang-for-the-buck AGP card out there is the ATI AIW X800 XT, which fluctuantes between $279 and $299 at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492

If this is out of your price range, the cards vegasgmc recommended are very nice middle-range AGP cards: both the 6600GT and 9800 Pro/XT.

As already mentioned, you need to check your power supply first. If you open the case, the power supply should have a sticker displaying the rated wattage/output of the PSU. If the power supply is 250W or less, it'll likely be a bit underpowered for a new 3d card as most modern videocards will need an extra 30-45W of power by themselves.

Sharkfood
Thanks for the encouraging message, upgrading to a better video card is about my only budgeting choice for now.
I guess I will stop procrastinating, and open my case to confirm the power supply.

Well, I opened it :blackeye: , and sure enough, it is only a 200 watt output. My PSU is a ATX Model 1956D... 5-7/8" W, 4" D, 3-3/8" tall.
More suggestions welcome.

I wonder how much it is going to cost me to play Serious Sam II. :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back