Netflix considers overseas expansion in 2011

Jos

Staff

Netflix is reportedly in talks with advertising and media agencies around the world as it considers the possibility of expanding its streaming service overseas. According to Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings, who was recently cited by The Hollywood Reporter, Europe, Latin America and Asia are markets the company would consider entering as soon as the recently launched Canadian operation takes off.

It’s unclear which agencies the company has reached out to but several sources claim that talks are currently “exploratory”. The company ceased a planned U.K. expansion in 2004 to focus on its U.S. plans, but expanding internationally now seems crucial and the next logical step for Netflix as it moves away from its DVD-by-mail model and attempts to become the top streaming service on a number of devices, like the popular Roku and gaming consoles.

The company has being doing well in the U.S. but expanding won’t be an easy task as deep-pocketed companies like Amazon, Apple and several big-name retailers enter the online video distribution area, including even Sears which recently teamed up with Sonic Solutions to create a new online movie download service called Alphaline.

Permalink to story.

I quit using netflix, they won't even caption 1/2 their streaming collection, they have over 10,000 in their collection and they tout the fact they only have 3% captioned (that's a paltry number of 300) BOO!!!!

I hear Amazon offers downloadable movies, wonder if those are captioned? At least I don't have to pay a monthly fee if it isn't

Back